+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I go u til there is nothing left. With dd I bf her to sleep then pump both sides for 10 mins. After a couple days of this I’ve always noticed my supply goes up. Plus lots of water and a good diet

2. The Following User Says Thank You to babybeeno1 For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast (19-05-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Reading your post I think a few things may be happening:

Firstly - I found engorgement definitely decreased by 3 weeks. From memory, when a baby is born, your body goes crazy producing milk, then it settles down to a supply / demand driven production mode. As long as your daughter is getting plenty of wet and dirty nappies, putting on some weight and is happy and content for some of the day things should be okay.

Secondly - I found my babies started to "wake up" around the three week mark. No longer sleepy newborns, they got harder to settle, and in our case reflux and colic symptoms started to kick in. Not a symptom of low milk supply, more a symptom of their digestive systems.

Thirdly - I found with mine that if I put a bottle in their mouths, they would gulp down whatever was in it, regardless whether or not they hungry. It was just their sucking instinct kicking in. The fact that your DD gulped down a bottle of formula, doesn't necessarily mean that you don't have enough milk.

I found that plenty of rest and unrestricted access to the boob helped to increase my supply whenever necessary. If you can swing it, I would suggest a weekend of lying in bed doing nothing but sleeping and feeding the baby / watching netflix.

ETA I wouldn't rely on a pump to increase supply. What I mean, is that it can, but it's a lot of work and a baby can get more milk out than a pump ever will and I think that unrestricted access to the breast may get better results. My fourth was premmie and I pumped exclusively for a couple of months. Things weren't great when she came home from hospital and I continued to express to try and increase my supply. It didn't do too much. She was admitted to hospital for a week at 6 weeks corrected age and I did nothing but sit and feed her for a week, while she was hooked up to oxygen. I left the hospital engorged to the max and the nurses were surprised that she had put on a decent amount of weight while being so sick in hospital. Unrestricted access to the boob and me having no commitments and getting plenty of rest really worked (in our case). It did more than pumping between feeds ever did at home.
    Last edited by SSecret Squirrel; 19-05-2019 at 09:50.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

PinkPopsicle (19-05-2019),turquoisecoast (19-05-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    Reading your post I think a few things may be happening:

Firstly - I found engorgement definitely decreased by 3 weeks. From memory, when a baby is born, your body goes crazy producing milk, then it settles down to a supply / demand driven production mode. As long as your daughter is getting plenty of wet and dirty nappies, putting on some weight and is happy and content for some of the day things should be okay.

Secondly - I found my babies started to "wake up" around the three week mark. No longer sleepy newborns, they got harder to settle, and in our case reflux and colic symptoms started to kick in. Not a symptom of low milk supply, more a symptom of their digestive systems.

Thirdly - I found with mine that if I put a bottle in their mouths, they would gulp down whatever was in it, regardless whether or not they hungry. It was just their sucking instinct kicking in. The fact that your DD gulped down a bottle of formula, doesn't necessarily mean that you don't have enough milk.

I found that plenty of rest and unrestricted access to the boob helped to increase my supply whenever necessary. If you can swing it, I would suggest a weekend of lying in bed doing nothing but sleeping and feeding the baby / watching netflix.

ETA I wouldn't rely on a pump to increase supply. What I mean, is that it can, but it's a lot of work and a baby can get more milk out than a pump ever will and I think that unrestricted access to the breast may get better results. My fourth was premmie and I pumped exclusively for a couple of months. Things weren't great when she came home from hospital and I continued to express to try and increase my supply. It didn't do too much. She was admitted to hospital for a week at 6 weeks corrected age and I did nothing but sit and feed her for a week, while she was hooked up to oxygen. I left the hospital engorged to the max and the nurses were surprised that she had put on a decent amount of weight while being so sick in hospital. Unrestricted access to the boob and me having no commitments and getting plenty of rest really worked (in our case). It did more than pumping between feeds ever did at home.
    thanks for all this. the unrestricted boob access will be a project for tomorrow when i’m on my own with her and don’t have anything to do etc. way too hard with ds terrorizing the house today

yep dd has definitely woken up from that sleepy newborn haze. she’s crankier and i can see she’s adjusting to life on the outside etc. i tend to second guess and doubt myself with the bf so what is probably fussiness and a gassy gut, i am interpreting as hunger cues. i tend to offer the bottle as i don’t know what else to do for her and leaving her to cry and grizzle is upsetting.

plenty of wet nappies, poos have decreased to every few days but i’ve read that’s normal for a bf baby. there’s definitely output so i’m not worried there.

her weight at 1 week was 2880g (lost a bit from her birth weight of 3190g) and she was 3 weeks on friday and her weight then was 3360g. i assume that’s reasonable gains. certainly she feels like she’s filling out and getting bigger and heavier!

i just doubt myself so much as i had a rough go at the start of bf with ds. i feel this process is so unquantifiable and non linear and i find it difficult to trust it. probably my
    logical accountants brain struggling with something that’s just organic and unable to be quantified.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

SSecret Squirrel (19-05-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Babies have a growth spurt at 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 3 months and 6 months. So aside from what has already been mentioned, the fussiness will be from DD telling your body to produce more milk. She will be hungry and will guzzle formula if you give her a bottle, but demand = supply so it's a bit of a catch 22.
    Lots of skin to skin, free access to boobs and no bottles of formula.
    I also found my body was way clever after my first. I never got engorged, had enough supply to feed my babies, but pumping? Forget it. I could barely get anything out pumping, my body just knew it wasn't a baby.
    Supply can diminish quicker when mix feeding...so you may need to decide whether you are okay if your supply diminishes or not.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post

god this bf gig is hard. harder than what i thought.
    I found it tough for the first few weeks, but once I persevered past the first teething issues, it found it pretty good. It eventually just clicked, but that did take a while. I'll have to remember about the teething issues and trial and error come July.
    I LOVED not having to sterilize bottles, or think about having water, formula sorted.
    Last edited by SJ565; 19-05-2019 at 20:35.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SJ565 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ565 View Post
    I found it tough for the first few weeks, but once I persevered past the first teething issues, it found it pretty good. It eventually just clicked, but that did take a while. I'll have to remember tret teething issues and trial and error come July.
    I LOVED not having to sterilize bottles, or think about having water, formula sorted.
    i’ll admit this openly here and now and say a large part of my hope to bf this time is for efficiency and due to my laziness. sterilizing and facking about with bottles etc is so annoying. formula is expensive and often in short supply. dd takes a bottle so i’m not concerned about her not taking a bottle
    for someone else. but the freedom of just grabbing bub and heading out the door without having to worry about packing bottles, formula etc is definitely a big perk.

also it just feels important to me this time to feed her myself. maybe it’s a last baby thing,
    you know, not having any more after this so want to experience it properly and just enjoy it while i can type thing.

well i’ve been bf all day today on demand and made sure to drink plenty of water. also have given dd infants friend today and she seems less fussy and gassy. so all up, a much better day than yesterday. she’s had one bottle of ebm (100ml) that i expressed straight after a feed and gave her as she still seemed hungry/fussy. but that’s the only pumping i’ve done and it’s the only bottle she’s had all day. i was doing bedtime with ds just then (first time since dd arrived, he was so chuffed to have me all to himself and i really enjoyed laying down with him and cuddling etc) and i could hear dd crying and then dh put the kettle on. i was like noooo, don’t give her a bottle as it’ll mean i need to pump....

ds was thankfully asleep very quickly tonight so i crept out, grabbed dd and chucked her on the boob then finished up tucking ds in and kissing him goodnight then crept out again.

success!!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

SJ565 (19-05-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Well done, TC!
    I'll be trying to breastfeed when DS comes along as well. I can be quite disorganised, so having to remember bottles and formula and boiling water is not my thing. I hate pumping as well, so hoping that I don't have to do that too much either. I'm so fricking lazy!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to SJ565 For This Useful Post:

hakuna matata is online now The artist formerly know as babyhopeful
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I remember dd from around that age just wanted to be attached to my boob from around 5pm til 7. If I took her off she’d cry. Try not to second guess yourself, you’re doing a great job!

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hakuna matata For This Useful Post:

SJ565 (20-05-2019),turquoisecoast (19-05-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    mchn appointment this morning and she’s put on quite a bit of weight plus grown 3cm in length. HC is up by 2cm too. nurse said whatever i’m doing, keep doing it. this is the boost i needed! feeling much more on the right track now.

supply feels like its increased too, not sure if it’s dd’s feeding, the lactation cookies i got or drinking more fluids (prob all 3 really), but supply is feeling much more plentiful.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

hakuna matata (20-05-2019),Mamasupial (20-05-2019),MLadyEm (20-05-2019),SJ565 (20-05-2019),SSecret Squirrel (20-05-2019)