+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default sudden drop in supply at 3 weeks?

hoping someone can shed some light as i’m
    thoroughly confused and a bit frustrated. dd is 3 weeks and 1 day old. i had a very good supply from birth, an oversupply really. due to her being jaundiced and sleepy/poor feeding, i was expressing and bottle feeding. saw the LC last week and she advised use
    of shields and to stop pumping (i wasn’t pumping that crazy though, maybe 3 times a day max?), only expressing when i offered a bottle. i’ve been ensuring i pump at least once at night to maintain supply too.

all has been good, boobs have been sore/engorged and leaking even. til yesterday. suddenly they feel squishy and empty the whole time?? even overnight, dd slept 11-3 and i was expecting to wake up and have them feel hard and full, they felt a bit firmer but nothing like they’d been before this?

i decided today to have dd only on the boob in the hope of stimulating supply a bit. things seemed to be going ok (?? i think??) but come late arvo, she’s impossible to settle and fussy and crying. normally she settles on me but she wouldn’t settle, so i assume she was still hungry. after 3 hours of offering boob, with no sign of her settling after each feed, i caved in and offered a bottle of formula. she guzzled most of it and has gone straight to sleep.

i’m feeling really upset. she’s finally learned to latch and now my supply disappears? i don’t know what to do. with ds, i had the engorgement for many more weeks past week 3, however i was still pumping a fair bit with him. i feel like i’ve failed dd if i can’t even feed her myself. i’m nervous to switch to formula only too due to the constant shortages etc. i don’t feel ready to give up but feel cruel to dd forcing this if it’s not working. i just don’t understand why bf works for everyone else and it’s such a struggle for me. i had a great supply with ds and things looked promising with dd from a supply perspective, so i just don’t understand what’s happened.

is there anything i can do to boost my supply at this point? i just feel sad and like i’ve failed dd right now. i feel annoyed i trusted the LC’s advice as i’m now in a situation where my supply is inadequate to satisfy dd. feeling now like a sh!t mum, i’m so tired and over it. just want to run away for 48 hours and press the reset button

any advice or tips?
    Last edited by turquoisecoast; 18-05-2019 at 21:25.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Shields can effect supply as you don't get as stimulated as you would if you didn't use them.

I power pump when I have drop. Keep hydrated. Swap sides frequently and allow her to cluster feed. At this point it shouldn't take long to build it up again xx

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

Mum-I-Am (19-05-2019),turquoisecoast (18-05-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamasupial View Post
    Shields can effect supply as you don't get as stimulated as you would if you didn't use them.

I power pump when I have drop. Keep hydrated. Swap sides frequently and allow her to cluster feed. At this point it shouldn't take long to build it up again xx
    thanks.

sorry i should’ve included i managed to get her off the shield and onto the bare boob last weekend. so she latches directly onto me. i can hear her swallowing etc. she’s had lots of heavy wet nappies today? i’m just confused as her cues late afternoon/evening today suggested hunger. at first i thought she was just gassy (she’s been doing epic farts lately) but i thought i’ll offer a bottle and see if it makes any difference. i was so upset when i realized she was hungry and wasn’t getting satisfied off the boob.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    shes 3 weeks old so is going to be fussy, farty, windy and hard to settle. your supply will settle around the 6-8wk mark. id just keep boobing and pumping when you can, and it will all settle down.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PinkPopsicle For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast (19-05-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I found supply dropped rapidly if I wasn't extremely hydrated (We're talking like 3l of water a day, at least). Hopefully the time you spent today with her on the boob will act to boost your supply. Power pumping can also help. Your supply may just be settling down a little.
    If you haven't already stumbled across it, I found the kellymom site to be pretty good.
    Also, you aren't failing her x
    Last edited by SJ565; 18-05-2019 at 22:41.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SJ565 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    yes Kellymom is amazing. also that super engorged full feeling settles more quickly the more bubs you have. bub #4 and i felt like i had no milk but i do

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PinkPopsicle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks ladies. yep stumbled across kelly mom last time and was reading along on it today too. maybe i need to stay more hydrated, my water intake isn’t exactly plentiful.

what’s power pumping? i can’t stand pumping but happy to give it a shot if it means increasing supply.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD supply goes up and down atm and she is 9 months. I’ve found when I’m stressed out it will
    Affect my supply and this past 2 weeks has been hell on earth to say the least

Power pumping

Bf then pump afterwards to boost supply at each feed. A pain in the butt. Yes. Well this is what I do when the need arises

13. The Following User Says Thank You to babybeeno1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babybeeno1 View Post
    DD supply goes up and down atm and she is 9 months. I’ve found when I’m stressed out it will
    Affect my supply and this past 2 weeks has been hell on earth to say the least

Power pumping

Bf then pump afterwards to boost supply at each feed. A pain in the butt. Yes. Well this is what I do when the need arises
    ahhhh right, that makes sense. how long do you pump for? like 5-10 mins per side?

god this bf gig is hard. harder than what i thought.

we gave dd 2 formula feeds last night and she slept 11-4 which was a nice stretch of sleep for us. boobs felt a bit fuller when i woke up and she’s on now. hoping she gets nice and full and i can tackle today feeling a bit more rested. it’s being tired that causes everything to fall to crap for me!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkPopsicle View Post
    yes Kellymom is amazing. also that super engorged full feeling settles more quickly the more bubs you have. bub #4 and i felt like i had no milk but i do
    really?! that’s so interesting! with ds i felt like i was a fire hose and super full for ages. i was pumping too much and probably over stimulating but i had a great supply (too much really) until we both managed to finally get the hang of bf at 6 weeks.

dd is better than ds ever was at bf, she’s feeding well at 3 weeks. i just feel like my supply has dwindled and she can’t fill up. i had no idea though that the engorgement subsides quicker with each bub. good to know!!