+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Labour without support person

Is there anyone here who has fairly fast labours and has done it without a support person present, ie partner, family member, friend etc?
    I remember how overwhelming the active part felt with DD but my partner was there at the time, so he could run out and get a midwife when things suddenly got exciting and she decided to be born then and there. He likely won't be there this time so I'm a little anxious about things suddenly happening if I'm alone in the hospital room and not being able to get anyone's attention.

Did you find that the hospital staff don't leave the room much if you're alone?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    How fast are you talking?

I was in birth suite for 16 mins before giving birth. My partner was parking the car for part of that. I wasn't left at any point.

My hospital also has a button to press to call the midwives in.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

Kalina (15-05-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow, 16 mins. Not that fast in my case, just suddenly overwhelming - the first part went on for a few hours with regular, entirely manageable contractions, only the active part was fast, 24 mins. My worry I guess is that there was no warning, I was ok and felt in control until the moment I didn't. If it happens that way again I don't know if I'll have the presence of mind to press the green button.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The midwife told me afterwards that they didn't expect things to escalate so quickly, I must have gone from 7cm to 10cm rapidly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can’t help with any experience Kalina but I have often wondered about the support person question myself given I’m doing this journey solo.

From what I hear a lot of hospitals can get a bit snippy beforehand about insisting you must have a support person - but obviously women turn up alone for all kinds of reasons all the time. I’ve always figured that’s because they know that if you are alone they’ll need to provide more support, which makes me think a midwife would stay with you more.

Is it too late to find a doula or a student midwife who could support you if that would put your mind at ease? I’m guessing you’ve considered family or a close friend already.

Hope you are well xx

R

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Risa78 For This Useful Post:

Kalina (16-05-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Maybe look into hypnobirthing.

There's actually a Facebook page called "call the student midwife" that has heaps of students looking for mum's to be to support. I have had 1 at each of my births. I didn't feel I needed any support person but had them so they could get the experience.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

Kalina (16-05-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Risa78 View Post
    Can’t help with any experience Kalina but I have often wondered about the support person question myself given I’m doing this journey solo.

From what I hear a lot of hospitals can get a bit snippy beforehand about insisting you must have a support person - but obviously women turn up alone for all kinds of reasons all the time. I’ve always figured that’s because they know that if you are alone they’ll need to provide more support, which makes me think a midwife would stay with you more.

Is it too late to find a doula or a student midwife who could support you if that would put your mind at ease? I’m guessing you’ve considered family or a close friend already.

Hope you are well xx

R
    Thanks @Risa78, that's a really good idea about the student midwife. I actually have one allocated, I'll be meeting her at my appointment next week so will have that conversation. I had one for one of my pregnancies that ended badly - initially I'd agreed to have one just to help them out but when things started going pear-shaped she was an absolute rock.

Doulas are so expensive where I am. I think you're right about why hospitals like a support person there. I guess it's understandable really.

Thanks again, hope you're well too, haven't seen any updates from you lately xo

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Kalina For This Useful Post:

Risa78 (16-05-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamasupial View Post
    Maybe look into hypnobirthing.

There's actually a Facebook page called "call the student midwife" that has heaps of students looking for mum's to be to support. I have had 1 at each of my births. I didn't feel I needed any support person but had them so they could get the experience.
    I'll have a look at hypnobirthing, thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good luck @Kalina! Yeah I’ve been quiet. Nothing for me to update. Still 6 weeks or so away from my South Africa cycle xx

R

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Risa78 For This Useful Post:

Kalina (16-05-2019)