+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ565 View Post
    Thanks @atomicmama, I've just read through the thread!
    Does your Aviva one take long to come to pressure? I saw that the one negative of the Breville was how long it took to come to pressure. Wonder if that's a "feature" of all of them
    I have had a Nuwave multi cooker for 5 years (love!!!!! it). I got it when we moved interstate and it replaced a rice/risotto cooker and slow cooker. How long it takes to come to pressure depends on a few factors. Essentially the ingredients in the pot need to start making enough steam to build up pressure.

This will be impacted by the temperature of the ingredients added, the water content, the volume of ingredients and the 'space' in the cooker that needs to fill with steam.

To speed things up I usually have the cooker on brown while I'm adding ingredients to pre-heat it. I also add water I boiled in the kettle, especially for a big pot full of soup.

So a FULL pot of soup, if I take the veg out of the fridge, chop and add. Then fill with tap water/room temp stock and put it on to pressure. It will take at least 30 min to get to pressure.

But if I switch it onto brown (put some water in already if you don't want it to brown) and add in room temp veg then boiling water/stock powder. It only takes about 5-10 minutes to get to pressure.

I will say I rarely/never use the slow cook function because a) everything comes up so good with the pressure cooker, and b) I found it a bit too hot/fast compared to a slow cooker which, in combination with the metal bowl, would result in a burnt base.

To make the pressure cooker more convenient (like being able to put the slow cooker on in the morning) I will make up a 'freezer dump bag' type slow cooker recipe the night before but not freeze it, then just throw it in the pressure cooker when I walk in the door.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

SJ565 (15-05-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thank you so much @Stretched. I'm still toying with the multicooker idea, DP rolled her eyes when I suggested it, but I really like the idea of the pressure cooker for when I can't get myself sorted in time to slow cook! Your idea of bunging it all in to pressure cook is my ideal!