+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ565 View Post
    Thanks @atomicmama, I've just read through the thread!
    Does your Aviva one take long to come to pressure? I saw that the one negative of the Breville was how long it took to come to pressure. Wonder if that's a "feature" of all of them
    I have had a Nuwave multi cooker for 5 years (love!!!!! it). I got it when we moved interstate and it replaced a rice/risotto cooker and slow cooker. How long it takes to come to pressure depends on a few factors. Essentially the ingredients in the pot need to start making enough steam to build up pressure.

This will be impacted by the temperature of the ingredients added, the water content, the volume of ingredients and the 'space' in the cooker that needs to fill with steam.

To speed things up I usually have the cooker on brown while I'm adding ingredients to pre-heat it. I also add water I boiled in the kettle, especially for a big pot full of soup.

So a FULL pot of soup, if I take the veg out of the fridge, chop and add. Then fill with tap water/room temp stock and put it on to pressure. It will take at least 30 min to get to pressure.

But if I switch it onto brown (put some water in already if you don't want it to brown) and add in room temp veg then boiling water/stock powder. It only takes about 5-10 minutes to get to pressure.

I will say I rarely/never use the slow cook function because a) everything comes up so good with the pressure cooker, and b) I found it a bit too hot/fast compared to a slow cooker which, in combination with the metal bowl, would result in a burnt base.

To make the pressure cooker more convenient (like being able to put the slow cooker on in the morning) I will make up a 'freezer dump bag' type slow cooker recipe the night before but not freeze it, then just throw it in the pressure cooker when I walk in the door.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

SJ565 (15-05-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much @Stretched. I'm still toying with the multicooker idea, DP rolled her eyes when I suggested it, but I really like the idea of the pressure cooker for when I can't get myself sorted in time to slow cook! Your idea of bunging it all in to pressure cook is my ideal!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Does anyone have a Breville The Fast Slow Cooker?

Breville The Fast Slow Cooker.jpg

Click Frenzy is on today and I can get this cooker for around $108.00 if I buy it before midnight. I can't imagine getting a better deal than this. Reviews are mostly positive from what I've seen.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I finally got a multi cooker - both of the recipes I’ve tried have been a bit too watery - do recipes overestimate the amount of water needed or what?

I’ve been happy with the way it cooks meat - it’s the consistency that I’m not thrilled with.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Degrassi View Post
    I finally got a multi cooker - both of the recipes I’ve tried have been a bit too watery - do recipes overestimate the amount of water needed or what?

I’ve been happy with the way it cooks meat - it’s the consistency that I’m not thrilled with.
    Are they recipes specific to a pressure/multi cooker ? You do need very little liquid. I'm still finding my feet with it after 18 months but getting much closer.

I love the pressure cooking today websites Mongolian beef, but find it has to much sauce so do about 2/3

7. The Following User Says Thank You to shadowangel0205 For This Useful Post:

Mod-Degrassi (29-12-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews

Yep, you need way less liquid than slow cooking. My manual had a note about converting slow cooker recipes (I think it said to use 1/4 of the liquid). The multi cooker on slow cooker setting uses less liquid too, due to the way the lid seals.

I find with high moisture ingredients (capsicum, tomato, etc) it helps to just simmer everything for 10 min before pressure cooking. That releases the liquid out and then the steam can be made from that rather than adding water.

It's easy to do a cornflour thicken of the sauce too (mix up corn flour and water to make a syrup-consistency liquid, switch it onto "brown", then stir in the corn flour mix, stir until sauce returns to a dark colour (1-2 min).

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowangel0205 View Post
    Are they recipes specific to a pressure/multi cooker ? You do need very little liquid. I'm still finding my feet with it after 18 months but getting much closer.

I love the pressure cooking today websites Mongolian beef, but find it has to much sauce so do about 2/3
    Yes - they have been multi cooker recipes. I thought it was a smart move to follow recipes for the first few uses, but both featured 250mls of water which was clearly too much!

I’ll check out pressure cooking today I’m doing a Mexican beef brisket in the next couple of days, so hopefully I can get a better result by being more mindful of the water content.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes - they have been multi cooker recipes. I thought it was a smart move to follow recipes for the first few uses, but both featured 250mls of water which was clearly too much!

I’ll check out pressure cooking today I’m doing a Mexican beef brisket in the next couple of days, so hopefully I can get a better result by being more mindful of the water content.
    Which one did you end up getting? And can I ask why? It seems like others on here mostly recommend either the breville fast slo pro or the Phillips. I'm not too sure which one is better, or maybe it's just a case of the best deal?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think it's a minimum of 1 cup of liquid needed to come to pressure? Some recipes I have found don't need as much as the recipe states, so if I have too much at the end I turn it to sear/saute mode and just reduce it a bit that way, or add cornflour or gravy powder (depending on the recipe) if needed.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by whiteroses View Post
    Which one did you end up getting? And can I ask why? It seems like others on here mostly recommend either the breville fast slo pro or the Phillips. I'm not too sure which one is better, or maybe it's just a case of the best deal?
    Some multicookers have more functions than others, also the Philips for example is really easy to get extra accessories like bowls, sealing rings etc. I've also found it helpful having a Philips because there are dedicated facebook groups for their multicookers, so people post recipes and tips specific to them.