+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Lip tie maybe causing breastfeeding issue?

My 6 week old son has an upper lip tie and I’m wondering if it can cause fussiness to the breast? He has a fine latch most the time but sometimes needs a little help. Feeding doesn’t generally hurt and he’s gaining weight well, with plenty of wet and dirty nappies. But he has a lot of trouble staying on. He’s constantly pulling on and off and getting frustrated. He doesn’t like feeding in the common cradle hold position but instead Prefers to feed by me laying down with him or him laying vertically on my chest/belly and sometimes the rugby hold. He has a lot more trouble with the left then right too. So I’m wondering if these issues can be related to the lip tie or not? How do I resolve them if it’s not? Because 1. I really need him to stay on when feeding and 2. I need him to feed in the normal cradle hold as it’s making life very difficult because he feeds every 1-2hours and I cannot feed him in any other position when we are out and about

2. The Following User Says Thank You to caaitlynxx For This Useful Post:

Starfish30 (08-05-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes definitely. Upper lip tie can have a huge impact on the latch and stop the lip from flanging out properly and creating a good seal which may explain him pulling on and off.
    Last edited by felicia81; 07-05-2019 at 18:13.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yes those sound like tie symptoms. Some IBCLC'S can diagnose. Places like enhance dentistry in Brisbane can laser them.

Often if there is a lip tie then there will be a tongue one too. They may be posterior so you may not be able to see it yourself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamasupial View Post
    Yes those sound like tie symptoms. Some IBCLC'S can diagnose. Places like enhance dentistry in Brisbane can laser them.

Often if there is a lip tie then there will be a tongue one too. They may be posterior so you may not be able to see it yourself.
    Thankyou! I have checked forA tongue tie and I don’t think I can see one, but as you said I may not be able to see it! I will be heading to my GP for my 6week check up and bubs immunisations sometimes this week hopefully if they aren’t booked out, so will get a referral for it to be fixed hopefully.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by felicia81 View Post
    Yes definitely. Upper lip tie can have a huge impact on the latch and stop the lip from flanging out properly and creating a good seal which may explain him pulling on and off.
    Thankyou!! I do noticed his latch if correct but not as correct as it could be. Sometimes it’s flared out as much as possibly and I notice when the happens he stays on the boob a lot longer and has a deeper suck. Other times his latch is still pretty good it’s just his lip isn’t as flared out as much and that’s when he’s fussy. He also has a deep recessed chin so his bottom lip tends to get stuck in too occasionally