+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post
    I did think that, but I had said to DD “Mummy has to wait” when she went in. Maybe they took that as waiting for her.

I didn’t say anything like I said, but did give them a look when I came out. Hopefully they got the message. I did think about saying to DD, “when you’re old enough to go alone, remember to wait your turn because pushing in is rude” but I figured that was probably a little too passive aggressive so just talked to her about waiting your turn when we got to the car.

It just highlights to me how rudeness and thoughtlessness is becoming more and more common. At least this time we didn’t have people trying to push in front of us while we waited for the movie. Without fail, it happens every time and I do speak up for that and tell them the end of the line is back that way.
    You also need to remember that they're 12/13 year olds. Teenagers have their heads in the clouds, your kids will too when they get there. I don't think it's a sign of people becoming more thoughtless and rude, just a sign of teenagers being teenagers. Teenagers do stupid, thoughtless things. If the worst thing those girls do in their teen years is push in front of someone in a toilet line (either on purpose or accidental), then they're going pretty good imo.
    You should have just said something when they cut in in front of you. They probably thought you were just waiting for your DD, and teens have this weird thing to go through...where they spend all their life growing up being told of stranger danger, and then they start to get some freedom and have to learn how to speak to strangers. From what I gathered watching mine there is a period where they are quite awkward about it. They may have thought that you would speak up if you were waiting, but because you didn't say anything they figured they were right to go.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard (27-04-2019),Californication (28-04-2019),Lincolns mummy (28-04-2019),Mod-Wise Enough (28-04-2019),PomPoms (27-04-2019),Renn (28-04-2019),Stretched (28-04-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Another WWYD

I would be pretty miffed if my tween (12 yr old) did that. I am pretty certain she wouldn’t, because she’s been taught manners and common courtesy.

Quite often my little ones will instinctively (usually because they’re busting) see a door open and start to move, but both my big girls stop them and remind them to wait their turn.

It’s happened to me many times and depending where I am in my cycle I’ll either give an unamused look, or I’ll politely tell them we’re next in line (exception being small kids busting, I’ll let them go in front of me/us).

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

Californication (28-04-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Pfft. I will always tell someone if they are pushing in, usually just by saying, “hey, we were before you” or similar

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Californication (28-04-2019),Mod-Wise Enough (28-04-2019),Purple Poppy (28-04-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I honestly don’t know if I’d say anything. Part of me thinks I’d want to but in reality... probably not. If they were older I’d expect them to know better, but at that age I dunno, just seems like something a kid that age would do (rude, yes, but 11-12 year olds are kind of off with the fairies).

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

Californication (28-04-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Uniquey View Post
    I would be pretty miffed if my tween (12 yr old) did that. I am pretty certain she wouldn’t, because she’s been taught manners and common courtesy.

Quite often my little ones will instinctively (usually because they’re busting) see a door open and start to move, but both my big girls stop them and remind them to wait their turn.

It’s happened to me many times and depending where I am in my cycle I’ll either give an unamused look, or I’ll politely tell them we’re next in line (exception being small kids busting, I’ll let them go in front of me/us).
    Mine at the same ages did too with me. But I find teens in general are a bit ignorant to the rest of the world when they are out with their friends without a grown up. I assume mine probably are also that bit ignorant, even though they're good kids overall.
    Last edited by Full House; 27-04-2019 at 22:01.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

PomPoms (28-04-2019),Stretched (28-04-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    You also need to remember that they're 12/13 year olds. Teenagers have their heads in the clouds, your kids will too when they get there. I don't think it's a sign of people becoming more thoughtless and rude, just a sign of teenagers being teenagers. Teenagers do stupid, thoughtless things. If the worst thing those girls do in their teen years is push in front of someone in a toilet line (either on purpose or accidental), then they're going pretty good imo.
    You should have just said something when they cut in in front of you. They probably thought you were just waiting for your DD, and teens have this weird thing to go through...where they spend all their life growing up being told of stranger danger, and then they start to get some freedom and have to learn how to speak to strangers. From what I gathered watching mine there is a period where they are quite awkward about it. They may have thought that you would speak up if you were waiting, but because you didn't say anything they figured they were right to go.
    My son is almost 12 and he always, without fail will ask if someone was there first before he does what he was there to do. He holds doors open for people and lets people go in front of him if he’s lined up at the supermarket and they only have one item. Don’t get me wrong he can be a right little turd sometimes but his basic manners and treating adults with respect are second to none. I’m always being complimented by strangers for his politeness.

I have high hopes that this will continue as he heads into his teenage years as it’s in his nature and we’ve taught him that way.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chippa For This Useful Post:

Californication (28-04-2019),Mod-Uniquey (28-04-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippa View Post
    My son is almost 12 and he always, without fail will ask if someone was there first before he does what he was there to do. He holds doors open for people and lets people go in front of him if he’s lined up at the supermarket and they only have one item. Don’t get me wrong he can be a right little turd sometimes but his basic manners and treating adults with respect are second to none. I’m always being complimented by strangers for his politeness.

I have high hopes that this will continue as he heads into his teenage years as it’s in his nature and we’ve taught him that way.
    But he has been out with his friends and not an adult? That's the point I'm making. Doesn't matter how perfect your kids are when they are with you, they get caught up in excitement and nervousness when out with their friends unsupervised and that can mean they do things they wouldn't ordinarily do.
    I can't imagine any of my kids have ever deliberately cut in front of someone in a toilet line because they are respectful kids, and had my teens come home from parties absolutely horrified by the behaviour of how disrespectful some of the party goers were to the parents of the person having the party.
    However, I'm not naive enough to think that my teens haven't misread a situation, or been caught up in their own stuff that they have done something someone else thought was rude. Heck, I've accidentally cut in front of someone as an adult, and apologised profusely when they have pointed it out to me, and stepped aside and let them go first.
    Those kids aren't on here to give their side of the story. It's equally as likely they misread the situation as it was they were being rude brats and cutting in line. If Californication had said something we'd know which one it was, but as she didn't we won't know. A simple 'hey, I was first' may have seen them apologise and say they thought she was just waiting for her daughter...who knows.
    Last edited by Full House; 28-04-2019 at 08:29.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

Mod-Wise Enough (28-04-2019),PomPoms (28-04-2019),Purple Poppy (28-04-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippa View Post

This is my nearly 10yo DS too. I was taught to be courteous, respectful and have manners and model that for my kids. Both get comments on their manners and behavior all the time. DS shares things without asking and mostly always thinks about how things affect others. He even shared his muffin his class made last term with a friend from a different class! I take part credit, but I also think it’s just how he is. DD (7) isn’t as good at thinking of others, but she does most of the time.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

Chippa (28-04-2019),Mod-Uniquey (28-04-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a 12 almost 13 year old DSS. He was the most thoughtful, polite and considerate child. As of 6 months ago he’s a giant moody turd who only thinks about himself. I’m sure he will grow out of it but he’s definitely going through that ‘teenage’ stage. It happens. Be prepared for the fact that it may happen to your own ‘angels’.

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

babybeeno1 (28-04-2019),Californication (28-04-2019),Full House (28-04-2019),Hollywood (28-04-2019),Mod-Wise Enough (28-04-2019),PomPoms (28-04-2019),Stretched (28-04-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    I have a 12 almost 13 year old DSS. He was the most thoughtful, polite and considerate child. As of 6 months ago he’s a giant moody turd who only thinks about himself. I’m sure he will grow out of it but he’s definitely going through that ‘teenage’ stage. It happens. Be prepared for the fact that it may happen to your own ‘angels’.
    Sshhh! Don't spoil the surprise! 😂

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

babybeeno1 (28-04-2019),babyno1onboard (28-04-2019),Mod-Wise Enough (28-04-2019),PomPoms (28-04-2019)