+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    6,006
    Thanks
    384
    Thanked
    2,953
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

    Default How big is too big??

    So....I'm not sure exactly if this will make sense... please bear with me...

    But basically I'm wondering at what point do they consider a baby "too big" to be kept inside, and they feel they'd be better outside.... when you have gd? Have they brought your bub on earlier just purely based on being big if your pregnancy is otherwise fine??

    Background: I'm 36+1. My scan today has followed the same growth curve from the regular scans since 20 weeks... Bubba is 98th percentile, maybe above.

    Today he was estimated around 4kgs/8lb 13oz... I have 3 weeks still to my s heeded csection. I don't see the ob until next week.

    If he continues at this rate he could be near 5kgs at birth!?!

    My sugars ARE controlled. And well within target.

    I do have a history of big babies. 4.080kgs and 4.560kgs (9lb and 10lb1oz) I tested negative for gd both times but they would've been under the old levels

    I am getting quite anxious now about his size....

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    7,314
    Thanks
    3,837
    Thanked
    6,329
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Look realistically you’re having a CS anyway so it’s not as big of an issue in terms of timing delivery. If you were looking for a vaginal birth then it’s likely they’d induce earlier due to potential complications when trying to birth a bigger baby (shoulder dystocia being the main one). Managing his glucose levels post birth is probably going to be the biggest concern for you if he does end up a big baby. But if you’re expressing already, then hopefully you’ll have an amazing stash of colostrum ready to go on the chance his sugars drop. Your ob may want to bring delivery forward if he/she thinks there could be difficulties at the delivery. Some women are just destined to have big babies though. Not much you can do about it!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    6,006
    Thanks
    384
    Thanked
    2,953
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MLadyEm View Post
    Look realistically you’re having a CS anyway so it’s not as big of an issue in terms of timing delivery. If you were looking for a vaginal birth then it’s likely they’d induce earlier due to potential complications when trying to birth a bigger baby (shoulder dystocia being the main one). Managing his glucose levels post birth is probably going to be the biggest concern for you if he does end up a big baby. But if you’re expressing already, then hopefully you’ll have an amazing stash of colostrum ready to go on the chance his sugars drop. Your ob may want to bring delivery forward if he/she thinks there could be difficulties at the delivery. Some women are just destined to have big babies though. Not much you can do about it!
    Thanks hun. I have just had conflicting info from the different obs I've been seeing (public system through a women's clinic at the hospital) but most said if he grew too big they'd consider getting him out sooner than later.
    I just wasnt sure where that point was (we just need to change accommodation booking asap if that's the case) and it likely changes with each individual pregnancy.
    I'm aware the longer they're inside, the better it is for lung development etc...
    I figure unless other complications arise (which I don't want, because that would spell trouble) they're likely to leave him be whilst my bp and bloods are stable...?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    7,314
    Thanks
    3,837
    Thanked
    6,329
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Given everything you’ve talked about this pregnancy, I don’t think the conflicting advice is going to stop now

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4,067
    Thanks
    2,314
    Thanked
    2,562
    Reviews
    4
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Dd was measuring big all the way through. She came out at 38+2, 52cm, 3.65kg and a 37cm head. She to was c-sec. If it was to be a vaginal delivery which it never was going to be my OB would of induced me at the same time. A friend has the same OB as me and she delivered her first ds at 38+4 and he was 3.8kg & induced. Her second is due in August and he will induce her again at around the same time

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    6,006
    Thanks
    384
    Thanked
    2,953
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MLadyEm View Post
    Given everything you’ve talked about this pregnancy, I don’t think the conflicting advice is going to stop now
    Well there's a fair point 🤦‍♀️ it's frustrating as a patient though. I do hope I'm able to get a reasonable supply of colostrum but given my breastfeeding history (despite being super stubborn and refusing to give up) I'm not holding much hope. I'm getting only a drop or two at the moment so not collecting in a syringe yet. I think I got 3ml at most with ds2.
    Quote Originally Posted by babybeeno1 View Post
    Dd was measuring big all the way through. She came out at 38+2, 52cm, 3.65kg and a 37cm head. She to was c-sec. If it was to be a vaginal delivery which it never was going to be my OB would of induced me at the same time. A friend has the same OB as me and she delivered her first ds at 38+4 and he was 3.8kg & induced. Her second is due in August and he will induce her again at around the same time
    Thanks for that I know the hospital I'm at prefer it as close to 39 weeks. I'm happy with that, but just confused by their info that they consider pulling them out earlier if too big... but I don't know what too big is

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,841
    Thanks
    757
    Thanked
    600
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Scans are not always accurate. Previous pregnancies, I've always measured ahead...Both times bub was off the charts....big baby card pulled. Both born under 3.4kg..so hardly big.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    6,006
    Thanks
    384
    Thanked
    2,953
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinkers View Post
    Scans are not always accurate. Previous pregnancies, I've always measured ahead...Both times bub was off the charts....big baby card pulled. Both born under 3.4kg..so hardly big.
    Im aware theres good margin for error and there's lots of stories where women were told to expect a certain weight but bub differed quite significantly.
    My scans have all been very close to accurate oddly enough
    With my 1st at 36 weeks they said he'd be around the 9-10lb mark. He was 9lbs.
    With my second at 38 weeks they estimated 10lb4oz.....4 days later he was 10lb1oz.

    I've had growth scans at 28, 32 and 36 weeks this time. 3 different machines, 3 different sonographers, same hospital... and the measurements have all pretty much tracked following the exact same curve.

    Maybe I trust them a bit too much but I do believe they'll be reasonably accurate given the variety of people doing the scans and on different machines.

    It's quite Interesting because last scan, there was a student In the room also, and the Sono was explaining things... how they measure, what they should have visible to get each marking etc... he went on to say he doesn't like AC being used (in my case, the AC is the measurement bumping the weight right up while the rest were bang smack on the middle) because especially at this point, baby's are practicing breathing, and their stomachs are constantly expanding and contracting while they practice
    Last edited by shadowangel0205; 26-04-2019 at 20:25.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to shadowangel0205 For This Useful Post:

    Tinkers (26-04-2019)

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    4,380
    Thanks
    6,292
    Thanked
    3,765
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

    Default How big is too big??

    This reminds me of when I was pregnant. The midwife said I was going to have a big baby as I was measuring 32 weeks but was only 30 weeks. I asked how accurate the measurement was and she said 2 weeks 🤷‍♀️ FYI DD ended up being 3.2 kg.

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    7,314
    Thanks
    3,837
    Thanked
    6,329
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    This reminds me of when I was pregnant. The midwife said I was going to have a big baby as I was measuring 32 weeks but was only 30 weeks. I asked how accurate the measurement was and she said 2 weeks 🤷‍♀️ FYI DD ended up being 3.2 kg.
    On this, as long as your fundal height measurement is within 3cm of your gestation (ie 32 weeks you can measure 29-35cm), it’s considered normal. Your midwife clearly didn’t know what she was doing

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to MLadyEm For This Useful Post:

    babyno1onboard (26-04-2019)


 

Similar Threads

  1. How big is too big for vaginal birth?
    By jassys in forum Pregnancy & Birth General Chat
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 26-11-2009, 16:51
  2. How big is too big?
    By shimmy in forum IVF
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 18-04-2009, 22:19
  3. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 17-01-2009, 06:18
  4. How big is too big for a 9mo?
    By Busy-Bee in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-03-2008, 21:40
  5. How big is too big?
    By dannii in forum Pregnancy Health Issues
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-12-2005, 12:09

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

FEATURED SUPPORTER
Pear Exercise Physiology Pregnancy & Women's HealthWe are Women's Health specialists and prescribe exercise to support changes in your body brought on by pregnancy, ...
FORUMS - chatting now ...
Clomid vs injectablesPolycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) Chat
Magical MayConception & Fertility General Chat
Early pregnancy??Conception & Fertility General Chat
IbdGeneral Health
General Federal Election ThreadGeneral Election Discussion
REVIEWS
"Made bed time less anxious"
by Meld85
My Little Heart Whisbear - the Humming Bear reviews ›
"Wonderful natural Aussie made product!"
by Mrstwr
Baby U Goat Milk Moisturiser reviews ›
"Replaced good quality with cheap tight nappies"
by Kris
Coles Comfy Bots Nappies reviews ›

ADVERTISEMENT