+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 6 Week Scan Concerns

Hi,

I am 6.5 weeks pregnant (conceived via ivf) and had my 6 week scan 2 days ago. The scan showed no sign of a gestational sac or embryo in my uterus (transvaginal scan) nor was there any sign of an ectopic pregnancy.

It was initially suspected that I had a chemical pregnancy however a subsequent hcg blood test showed my levels to be 9000 plus so a chemical pregnancy was ruled out.

My Dr has said that it could be one of 3 things; 1. A viable pregnancy that for whatever reason isn’t visible on her scan, 2. A blighted ovum - a gestational sac but no embryo and 3. An ectopic pregnancy.

I have pregnancy symptoms (breast tenderness, nausea and tiredness) and no bleeding.

I’m having another scan next week at a hospital where scanning machines have higher resolution.

Has anyone experienced anything like this?

Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey, I'm so sorry you're going through this, it's hard enough as it all is!

The resolution usually isn't great at the FS, so hopefully you will see more next week x

3. The Following User Says Thank You to aweb031 For This Useful Post:

Joadam (27-04-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Joadam View Post
    Hi,

I am 6.5 weeks pregnant (conceived via ivf) and had my 6 week scan 2 days ago. The scan showed no sign of a gestational sac or embryo in my uterus (transvaginal scan) nor was there any sign of an ectopic pregnancy.

It was initially suspected that I had a chemical pregnancy however a subsequent hcg blood test showed my levels to be 9000 plus so a chemical pregnancy was ruled out.

My Dr has said that it could be one of 3 things; 1. A viable pregnancy that for whatever reason isn’t visible on her scan, 2. A blighted ovum - a gestational sac but no embryo and 3. An ectopic pregnancy.

I have pregnancy symptoms (breast tenderness, nausea and tiredness) and no bleeding.

I’m having another scan next week at a hospital where scanning machines have higher resolution.

Has anyone experienced anything like this?

Thanks in advance
    Sorry to hear what is happening. I had the same issue last year and it was an ectopic. First scan I had they didn’t find. Second scan different radiographer found it and I had my tube removed. Goodluck I hope it’s not an ectopic

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebeccajayne View Post
    Sorry to hear what is happening. I had the same issue last year and it was an ectopic. First scan I had they didn’t find. Second scan different radiographer found it and I had my tube removed. Goodluck I hope it’s not an ectopic
    Thanks for your reply. How many weeks were you when you had your first and second scans? Do you also recall what your hcg blood levels were?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Joadam View Post
    Thanks for your reply. How many weeks were you when you had your first and second scans? Do you also recall what your hcg blood levels were?
    The 2 scans were done only a few days apart I did have bleeding on and off but no pain. My hog level were low from memory 1500ish unsure how far I was as I have completely irregular cycles but I was too far for the injection I had to have my tube removed. Hope this helps

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rebeccajayne For This Useful Post:

Joadam (28-04-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sorry you're going through this. My first pregnancy was a blighted ovum, for me though, my hcg stayed low but I had a sad with no embryo. They did tell me though that blighted or ectopic was very common with elevated hcg.
    I really hope it is just a bad scan and hard to see.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Simyt For This Useful Post:

Joadam (29-04-2019)