+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Hair help - greasy straight after washing

Hi ladies, I’m looking for some help with my hair. About 8-9 weeks ago, instead of getting my hair foiled blonde, I started the balayage process. About 5-6cm of my roots are now my natural colour with the remainder a mixture of the existing blonde foils and some fresh blonde over the top. I think that coinciding with this (but maybe not), my hair has become really oily. I used to be able to get away with washing it every 4th day and now I’m using dry shampoo on day 2 and have to wash it that night. I use a purple shampoo to keep my blonde clean, conditioner, leave in conditioner and thermal protecting spray.

I went to Hairhouse Warehouse and on their advice got some new purple shampoo, conditioner, leave in conditioner and a powder to use on my oily roots rather than dry shampoo. The powder is terrible, I think it’s more of a styling product and makes my hair feel like it has oily gel in it rather than doing anything to absorb the oil!

The last 2 times I’ve washed my hair (with the new products), as soon as I have dried and straightened it, it feels so dirty, as if it wasn’t washed at all.

I’m hoping for some advice on getting my hair to feel clean again and being able to go for longer without washing it!

Oh also something else, my face seems to have become more oily in a similar timeframe to my hair becoming oily. I can’t think of anything that I have changed on the inside that could impact my skin / hair. Please help!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    i’ve always found when my hair is dyed blonde, it’s a little bit dryer therefore oiliness is slightly less of an issue. i have fine hair so it gets oily pretty quickly but it’s way more obvious when my hair isn’t colored.

after ds i had some pp breakage/thinning around the temples and my hairdresser suggested giving the foils a break to let the hair grow back and get stronger. she did a balayage type thing instead and i found the same as what you are; the darker (non bleached) roots looked and fekt dirtier much quicker.

i actually hated it and couldn’t wait to just get back to being blonde.

my hair is now at its best (thanks pregnancy hormones plus good care regime) but i am bracing for the pp loss/thinning again....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    A slightly different approach but I haven’t shampooed my hair in over a year. I wash my hair with a sulphate and silicone free conditioner and manually scrub the roots with my fingertips. It was pretty oily for the first 2-3 weeks and now it’s healthier than its ever been. I need to conditioner wash every 2-3.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I dye my hair (blonde foils) it makes my hair less oily, and have more body. When it's growing out, I have to wash it far more often and it's more lank and heavy.
    Its expensive but keeping it coloured actually makes for much less styling/upkeep

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Dont put conditioner on your roots...put it only on the pony tail/ends of your hair. That should help a lot.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I get oily hair on and off. Straight after getting a full head of blonde foils it was oily again I hate it ( I got teased in high school about my oily hair).

I always shampoo with a colour safe shampoo (NAK - fine hair) and then shampoo with a purple shampoo, then a conditioner (NAK - fine hair). One hairdresser told me that blonde shampoos aren't the best for washing your hair, but are the best for toning the blonde. This has helped immensely. I wash my hair everyday, but I can go every second day. I don't use the blonde shampoo/conditioner every time I wash, but only once a week and I never put conditioner in my roots always mid-lengths and ends.

DD14 has very oily hair DeLorenzo have an excellent shampoo that is colour safe for oily hair (in a green tube) that cuts through her oily hair really well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have very fine and oily hair. My new hairdresser has me wash my hair twice and then just use a tiny bit of detangling spray on the ends before brushing with a tangle teaser brush (but I’m sure whatever detangling brush would do). I’ve gone from washing my hair daily twice a week with dry shampoo on day 3ish.

Thanks
    Reviews
    got mine done yesterday after what felt like ages (wanted to be as fresh as possible before tomo as who knows when i’ll be going in next to get my hair done!) and woke up like this. usually by the next day it’s a bit lank and i can feel the oil at the roots but the foils really dries it out. i’m sure it’ll get lankier and yuckier by end of today and i’ll give it a wash tomorrow morning, but today i’m enjoying waking up with perfect hair IMG_5496.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    A slightly different approach but I haven’t shampooed my hair in over a year. I wash my hair with a sulphate and silicone free conditioner and manually scrub the roots with my fingertips. It was pretty oily for the first 2-3 weeks and now it’s healthier than its ever been. I need to conditioner wash every 2-3.
    Do you follow the curly girl method? I've been considering giving this a try, what brand conditioner do you use?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't have oily hair, but I read years ago that too much washing can make hair produce too much oil. I've had a few people I know with oily hair that stopped washing it, and it was awful for the first couple of months, but then evened out and their hair was better and not oily at all.

I've got "normal" hair and wash it once a week. When I was in my 20's and swimming daily it did get oiler from daily washing and my hairdresser told me to wash one day, condition the next which helped a lot. Also to condition the length not the roots like others have said.

Why are you using conditioner and a leave in one? I'm no expert, but that seems like too much conditioner to me. Like others have said, don't put it on the roots. I put it on the length, and then comb it through so a little goes on the roots only.