+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default When to transition toddler to a bed?

There are so many approaches/ages that I’ve heard from friends and family and I keep changing my thinking.

My DS is 23 months and will be 2.5 when our second bub arrives. He sleeps very well in his cot and has never tried to climb out. So many ppl I know transitioned their eldest before bub arrived. He’s showing no signs of needing to change.

My thinking has been keep him in the cot for as long as he wants (I assume early next year or so he’d be ready to change?). Bub will be in bassinet for about 4 months and can use portacot if cot is not free yet. Is this a wise approach?

I know I can’t read the future but not sure if we’d have issues with changing rooms etc when bub arrives? Anyone else done the transition AFTER a baby arrived?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    we put ds into a king single at 2 years and 8 months. he was climbing out of his cot and we couldn’t be bothered faffing around with the transition from cot to toddler bed then toddler bed to proper bed. so we just skipped the toddler bed step. he was fine, we never bothered with a bed rail either and he’s never fallen out. it was honestly seamless for us and we’ve not looked back. he does get up in the night and in the morning when he’s ready to get up, but otherwise it’s fine.

a girl in my mother’s group still had her dd (3 years and 3 months) in a cot with the sides still up. i think that’s stymying things a bit, like they’re not babies anymore. but to each his
    own, do whatever works.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

Yogis Mumma (22-04-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ds1 was smack bang on his 3rd bday. It was his present. New big boy bed and Thomas the tank quilt etc

Ds2 was 1 week ago at 2yrs & 9 months. He started climbing out cot last November. I have a chair next to it for reading so he’d land on that.

Dd went out of the bassinet in early November and was in the portacot til last week she now has the cot which I’ve put in my room as the rat bag isn’t sleeping well at night still (nearly 9 months)

I bought Ds2 bunk beds with a trundle so ds1 can have sleep overs on the top and the trundle I can use for storage for winter blankets and nappies

If you use the portacot just make sure you put extra layers on the base for bubs to sleep on and they aren’t the most comfortable

5. The Following User Says Thank You to babybeeno1 For This Useful Post:

Yogis Mumma (22-04-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Our DD is 23months (very small for age) and has never tried to climb out to her cot. I have no intention of moving her out before the bubs arrive in July/August. I don’t see the point in creating a problem when one doesn’t exist.

We will be buying a new cot (will need 2 eventually) but like you will have a basinet and the second cot so bubs will be together or one in basinet for the first few months.

My mum thinks I’m crazy and a few people have suggested we put her in a bed but I honestly don’t see any reason to.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mum-I-Am For This Useful Post:

fielbes (23-04-2019),Yogis Mumma (22-04-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DD1 stayed in cot till 2.8 before we brought her a king single.

DD2 we tried transitioning at 24mths before DS arrived but was a massive failure and none of us slept for almost 2wks until i cracked and gave her back the cot and we went back to full nights sleep and 2.5hr day naps
    She then stayed in the cot till she asked for a big bed just before she turned 3.
    We borrowed a 2nd cot from a family member for DS

dS i was in no hurry being our last so he stayed in cot till almost 3 too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD was in the cot until she was exactly 3. She was starting to climb out, #2 is on its way, and we had just gone camping where she had slept well on a mat on the floor.
    It has not been a great transition- even though she could easily climb out, she only did it every now and again. With the side off the cot, she had too much temptation to play in her room. Turning on lamps, reading books, climbing furniture, opening the door and coming out.
    We got a bed tent thing from Ikea and that's seemed to help- the bed is cozier now. We also have to unplug the lamp in her room every night, and put a cover over the door handle so she can't get out. She tries them all each night but gives up (usually)after about 10 mins.
    If I had my time again, I would have more strategies ready to go, rather than assuming it was going to be ok.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SJ565 For This Useful Post:

Yogis Mumma (22-04-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD has slept on a matress on the floor since she was 11 months. Room is baby proofed and has a baby gate at the doorway. Other people think its crazy but it works for us. I think from all the responses there is no right ir wrong age or right or wrong bed type. I guess you just try what works for you and change if it's not working :-)
    Oh and i have read things about not changing things up too much just before a new bubba arrives, and to either do it well beforehand or wait till everyone's used to the new baby but havent had any experience with that personally yet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for sharing. I dont want to force transitions just because a baby is on the way. I’m glad many ppl have good experiences from waiting I’ll let DS stay in the cot for as long as it suits him.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Yogis Mumma For This Useful Post:

gorgeousgeorge (22-04-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Yogis Mumma yep i feel the same espesh since DD is still pretty much a baby herself. All the stuff ive read (whilst freaking out about having 2 under 2🤣) said to just try to keep things and routine the same for older bubs and have newborn fit in around that seeing as they dont know whats going on anyway and have no real routine. Lol will see how that goes and change only if its not working. Good luck!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to gorgeousgeorge For This Useful Post:

Yogis Mumma (22-04-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Yogis Mumma You could go to all the effort of transitioning DS before Bub arrives and then find he wants to regress to being babied again himself, to be back in the safe cocoon of his cot (plus other behaviors). Just a thought. Good luck.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Tahli For This Useful Post:

Yogis Mumma (22-04-2019)