+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Great, thanks for sharing everyone!! I’ll definitely be very vocal and hopefully all will be well with bub and I that it can happen 🤞

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Yogis Mumma For This Useful Post:

gorgeousgeorge (16-04-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ds2 I was able to touch him when my OB lifted him to the sheets but he was taken and cleaned up quite quickly and his cord blood extracted. Was around 5 mins before I was holding him all wrapped up while being stitched up

Dd was 4 minutes and wrapped up again and cord blood extracted.

Both times in recovery they stayed with me and I got better skin to skin in there and we went back to the ward together but in separate lifts as per my hospitals protocol.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to babybeeno1 For This Useful Post:

Yogis Mumma (16-04-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a c section and as soon as bubs was checked and they suctioned her fluid, i got to hold her for as long as i wanted while they stitched me back up. It was literally about 60 seconds while they just checked she was breathing and wrapped a blanket over her back (as its cold in the operating room) and then they gave her to me straight away and let me hold her for as long as I wanted. Dh and a midwife helped me hold her as i only had one arm available and was lying down. Then she went with dh and midwife to get apgar check and then as soon as i was finished being stitched up, they gave her back and i breastfed her.
    If you are anxious, id check and tell your midwives that you want skin to skin and make sure they know this, but im pretty sure these days as long as baby is ok, you get to have skin to skin and breastfeed asap. Midwives are all for this. If bubba needs emergency care then you may not get it but that's same as vaginal delivery situations. Bubba is wrapped up over the back and sides, as its freezing in the operating theatre and you have a gown on, but you get skin to skin from their face and hands and chest on your neck and face and arm iykwim. Then as soon as you are out of operating theatre midwives can undo your gown and place bubba on your chest to feed. So its still skin to skin if that makes sense?
    I was so worried too about all the horror stories of not being able to feed or touch or see her but my experience was nothing like that and i dont feel like i missed out on anything that mattered in my birthing experience (except the pain of labouring :-) but you'll get that with recovering from the c section ;-)
    Last edited by gorgeousgeorge; 16-04-2019 at 20:52.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to gorgeousgeorge For This Useful Post:

Yogis Mumma (17-04-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Skin to skin after c section?

For me as a first time Mum, I didn’t know it was possible for a c/s Mum to have immediate skin-to-skin, and therefore I didn’t have any contact with my baby until after she was suctioned and had her obs done. Even then, I was given her (swaddled-up) for a minute or so for a photo and then she was handed to DH to hold her whilst I was in recovery.

For me personally, none of this was ideal, I never felt her skin on mine, she was cleaned and swaddled and given to me long after she was born (despite ideal apgars), no post birth issues. I guess it was just the hospital protocol and I didn’t know better.

So my advice, let your wishes be known.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

Yogis Mumma (17-04-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've had 2 c-sections, and both times, they showed us the baby, did their checks, and baby was placed wrapped on me wrapped. Both times bub stayed there until we got to recovery and then we had skin to skin there and to the ward. I had less time with DS as he was delivered at 7:30pm, and they wouldn't let me after midnight when DH left as they were flat out, but DD was a morning delivery and she was much more settled on me, so they let me keep her on my chest all night as the lady next to me was noisy and I wasn't sleeping anyway between her and the 30 min obs. I did ask the second time (first was an emergency) if we could do skin to skin in theatre, but they said they preferred not to as the theatre is cold and it can be hard to manage with clothing and the tubes in your arm etc, so I felt that was fair enough. I would still ask if I was you though. You don't know if you don't ask.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

Yogis Mumma (17-04-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Def discuss it with your Dr or midwife before hand, and also ask them again when you’re getting prepped for theatre. Depending on how the c section goes, they will usually do it if you ask them. I suspect with a C section they like to check baby out thoroughly but if you tell them you want to hold baby before he/she gets weighed and all of that, they’ll usually do it.

My first DS was c section at 36 weeks, I didn’t get skin to skin immediately, I had both arms strapped down to IV’s it was hard for me to hold him, but they put him against my cheek for a few mins before my partner took him down to our room, and I had to stay in recovery. Second DS was 37 weeks and I did get skin to skin, and he got to stay with me the whole time in recovery, had him on my chest as they wheeled me out of the theatre, and to recovery, he even had a go on the boob straight away.

So it’s def worth letting them know what you want. There is no doubt that the golden hour is very important and ideal when you can do it BUT having said that, both my boys, especially my first DS were breastfed for 2.5 years each, and are both very strongly bonded to me, so for me, it didn’t seem to have any detrimental impacts.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

Yogis Mumma (17-04-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks again. I’ve still got awhile to go before the delivery (Nov) but have loved hearing about all of your experiences.

With my first, he wasn’t weighed etc for a good hour or two after delivery so I had great time with bub. I totally get that suction and checking bub is important but to me, getting those stats don’t need to be done instantly.

Thank you again - this community is always so informative!! X

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Yogis Mumma For This Useful Post:

Mod-Uniquey (17-04-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Yogis Mumma i think also, its good to have an idea if what you would ideally like to happen and to let drs and midwives know about this beforehand but imo i think it also really helps to be flexible and to keep in mind that things may not go as exactly planned but to try to not let this taint the experience and feel as though its ruined everything iykwim. Not trying to sound opinionayed or tell you what to do and think but i try for myself to have a clear idea of what i would like to happen, so if im asked in the moment, i dont have to think coz ive already thought through what id like but i also try to keep in mind that whatever happens my main goal and thw only thing that really really matter is that bubs and i both end up leaving the hospital and going home. The midwives keep asking me about what i want and im basically like "well, id like it for me and bubs to not die". They mostly shrug and say "well, that goes without saying". So i guess my.mindset is that no matter what happens if we both are ok after everything, then ive achieved the only goal that was really important and i will try not to be disappointed with any other outcome. (Sorry if that sounds morbid but i find comparing what actually happens with worst case scenarios, helps me to be ok with whatever actually happens) and i agree that even if skin to skin and breastfeeding and all the other stuff doesnt happen, it totally doesnt mean that you wont bond with your baby and be able to experience all the good things. I try to remember that a take-home baby is a successful "birthing experience". Its hard though to not worry when you havent experienced it before. I had a caesar last time and it was fine so im ok with it because i know what its like but midwives are suggesting a vbac for me this time and im really worried mostly because i haven't done that before, so kinda the same but opposite iykwim. Anyways whatever happens, i hope it happens the way you want and that you get a take-home baby xx

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gorgeousgeorge For This Useful Post:

Mum-I-Am (18-04-2019),Yogis Mumma (17-04-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you @gorgeousgeorge - all that you said made total sense! X

Thanks
    Reviews
    My first was a c-section and they lifted bub over the curtain so I could see and touch her before they took her over to the side where DH got to cut a bit of cord they left for him. They wrapped her up because the theatre needs to be quite cool to deter bacteria from growing.

DH held her to my chest (still wrapped) for the whole time I was being stitched up. He then got a good cuddle when they took us through to recovery. Once they had made sure I was fine bub was unwrapped and put on my chest with the blanket around her back. The midwife helped get her latched well and she had her first breastfeed while they were still monitoring me in recovery. About half an hour later I was wheeled back up to my room with DD1 in my arms.

I absolutely agree with gorgeousgeorge. After experiencing the worst outcome with DD2 who passed away at birth while I was under general anaesthesia, my "nice to have" goal for DD3's birth is that I would like to be awake if possible. I very quickly let go of anything I defined as contributing to a good birth experience - none of it matters to me now. I'm just looking forward to hearing my baby cry and being told she's ok.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bubbletrouble For This Useful Post:

Loz3119 (19-04-2019),Mum-I-Am (18-04-2019),SSecret Squirrel (18-04-2019),Yogis Mumma (18-04-2019)