+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Skin to skin after c section?

Has anyone had skin to skin instantly after bub was born via c section or did you get skin to skin once fluid was cleared from bub?

I’ll be having a c section with this bub (my 2nd baby but 1st c section). I understand I’ll be laying down and getting stitched up for some time but I’d really really love to have skin to skin soon afterwards delivery but I’ve not heard of this happening with ppl I know. I always see pics of bub wrapped up and being put next to Mum’s face.

Am I being unrealistic for wanting skin to skin straight away or close to it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Not unrealistic at all. I haven’t personally but I do know people who have requested immediate skin to skin and gotten it. The biggest issue they faced is making sure someone (usually their support person) was able to assist them to ensure safety of Bub. Many of them have Bub with them all the way to recovery and onwards. Ultimately it comes down to if it’s safe for you to do so- example if you were shaking a lot (which is common) you may not be able to hold Bub safely but as mentioned, you can have your support person assist you if needed.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SheWarrior For This Useful Post:

Yogis Mumma (16-04-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Where I work they usually finish the surgery and tidy mum up move her onto the ward bed and then give her bub. This is about 30ish minutes. By that stage bub is weighed and measured and unless there is an issue bub stays skin to skin in recovery and up to the ward.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mum-I-Am For This Useful Post:

Yogis Mumma (16-04-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My bub was wrapped up and put near my face for about 5 minutes then bub and dad went to nursery while I was stitched up. I was then in recovery for about 40 minutes before back to my room to meet bub.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to LJD23 For This Useful Post:

Yogis Mumma (16-04-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    With my first, he was wrapped as df they were going to give us skin to skin in theatre but I was laying twisted on the gown and we couldn't wrangle it till the ward, but he was given to me in my arms In theatre until I yelled I was going to chuck up and drop bub. He stayed with me though.

My second, df held him till I got to recovery and he was put skin to skin.

Given 2&3 are the same hospital I'm expecting the same this time

9. The Following User Says Thank You to shadowangel0205 For This Useful Post:

Yogis Mumma (16-04-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    After mine they weighed him and did all of that which dh watched and cut the cord while they put me back together and then I had skin to skin before I left theatre and had him on me as I went into recovery and then when I was taken up to my room.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Purple Poppy For This Useful Post:

Yogis Mumma (16-04-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I had my c section I had the baby held up, then they did the AGPAR and took his measurements, wrapped him in a blanket and handed him to me. It probably took a little longer than normal because his APGAR was only like 4-5 at 1 min and he didn’t cry immediately (well it felt like forever when I was listening for it). It was 9 at 5 mins but I can’t remember if I was holding him by then. It went really quickly! He was in my arms in the operating theatre and I didn’t feel like it was a really long delay or anything.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mmmkay For This Useful Post:

Yogis Mumma (16-04-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was also very vocal that i wanted skin to skin asap and help feeding after the disaster of dd and her feeding.
    As this was my second cesarean i was lucky knowing what was going to happen but even it was very different from my first.
    Let the midwives know what you would like to do, I found mine lovely and they actually listened to me this time compared to when I had my first.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Purple Poppy For This Useful Post:

Yogis Mumma (16-04-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My bub was wrapped and given to DH after he was weighed etc. i couldnt hold him because my spinal was put in too high and i couldnt feel my arms properly and they had to monitor me because i was at risk of my lungs collapsing. But i was fixed up pretty quickly and bub was given to me just before we went to recovery. He stayed with me after that. He was skin to skin and feeding in about 30-40 mins.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to MummaV For This Useful Post:

Yogis Mumma (16-04-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was very lucky and got skin to skin straight after delivery. As soon as Bub was removed they held them up above the drapes so we could see them then cord was cut/clamped and they were wiped a little with a towel before skin to skin on my chest. My partner and midwife helped as I could only use one hand. After 10 minutes they did weight and length and put a nappy on then back for more skin to skin. Baby stayed with me for skin to skin all the time until back up to the ward. They have the warm air machine that blows warm air near my chest to keep Bub warm as the theatre is so cold.
    Our hospital is great and have been doing this for over 5 years. Talk to your Obs/Midwife and hospital.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to char82 For This Useful Post:

Yogis Mumma (16-04-2019)