+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    What Blossom wrote was good. No way would I let anyone stay. I made a rule that I was quite vocal about that you couldn’t hold Bub if you didn’t have a current WC vaccination. Most people wouldn’t get it. So your friends might not and you can just say sorry no jab no cuddle. If they have the immunisation, I would arrange a catch up then try and leave the Bub with family and just say Bub was cranky and you wanted to be able to catch up properly

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

whiteroses (07-04-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whiteroses View Post
    Not sure if this is the right place to start this thread. Some dear friends from the USA are booked to visit our town when bub will be around 2-3 weeks old. They are wanting to know whether or not they can stay with us.

Normally, I would say yes. We'd love to have them. I'm not worried about them pitching in to help and trying to be sensitive to the fact we have a newborn, bc I think they'll be good about that... Altho it does sound a little daunting to have house guests so early.

I'm more concerned about the fact that they will be coming here via a holiday in China. I'm concerned about whether there's a higher risk of infections/illnesses they might bring with them from Asia?? Does anyone know if this is the case. Bub will be as yet not immunised, so I worry about having them in the house day and night during that fragile time.

Am I being overly cautious? Should I be worried about them seein/holding bub at all, in fact? If we are hanging out with them during their stay, should I insist on no cuddles bc bub is not yet immunised??

What would you do in this situation? I'm starting to feel quite nervous, but perhaps I'm being overly so?

Thanks
    I understand how you feel. DH parents came from India when my Bub was a few weeks old. I was a bit nervous but then even if she’s had her 6 week immunisations that obviously doesn’t cover her for everything & only partially covers her for the things that are included. I put her on probiotics & made sure they hadn’t been sick recently. Trust ur gut though x

4. The Following User Says Thank You to KJane13 For This Useful Post:

whiteroses (07-04-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whiteroses View Post
    Thanks for your input. It's reassuring to know I'm not being a nervous panic merchant.

How would you tell them they can't stay? Just be honest and say we're concerned that bub will be too young to be immunised, so for the sake of safety think it best if we help them find a local hotel.

And what would you do re cuddles? Just say it's a no-go? Of course, my precious bub's safety comes before politeness, but I also don't want to offend...
    Just be honest- you have a new bub, you won't be able to have visitors. Any other time would not be an issue. But you would love to set up a time to catch up over a coffee with them.
    I would spell out early that even if they stay nearby, you'll catch up with them at a set time and it won't be an open house (if that's what you want).
    Better to do it now and set the expectation early. As for cuddles- time the coffee catch up for a nap if you can, and they can look from the door. No cuddles, no issues.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SJ565 For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast (08-04-2019),whiteroses (07-04-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I agree with everyone else. Who in their right mind would want to stay at a house with a newborn anyway?

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mum-I-Am For This Useful Post:

Californication (08-04-2019),SJ565 (07-04-2019),turquoisecoast (08-04-2019),whiteroses (07-04-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yep, i agree to. Whilst you wouldnt get time to see friends from the US often, your time with bubba is so so precious and so short. Sometimes i try to make decisions by choosing what i would regret the least and i know id regret missing out on time with my newborn more than missing catching up or risking offending friends. And id regret bubba getting sick more thsn being "overprotective". Honestly i wouldnt even ever expect or even ask to stay with someone whod just given birth. Also if for some unexpected reason you ended up having a caesar section, in my experience you'll be hard pressed to get yourself to the toilet, let alone sit up hosting visitors. And I also found, there's very little opportunity to sleep and when you need to and can get the opportunity to sleep, it really sux missing those chances because there's people in your home. I lost count of the amount of visitors who came and said, "make sure you sleep when the baby sleeps" and in my head i was like " yeah that's what id be doing now, if i weren't sitting here talking to you. I found it hard to say no with first bubba regarding visitors and i regret it now, so this time im putting me and bubba first and i dont care if anyone's upset by it.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to gorgeousgeorge For This Useful Post:

whiteroses (07-04-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It would be a no from me too! I hate having house guests at the best of times never mind throwing a newborn into the equation. I like to be able to sit in my pj’s on the sofa with my boobs out to feed without feeling awkward in my own home. When we had DS1 my mum wanted to come from overseas to “help” and I told her no.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Pumpkin1106 For This Useful Post:

whiteroses (09-04-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mum-I-Am View Post
    I agree with everyone else. Who in their right mind would want to stay at a house with a newborn anyway?
    this. so awkward. you’d feel like a massive imposition.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

Mum-I-Am (09-04-2019),whiteroses (09-04-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Absolutely no way. For me the first EIGHT weeks with my first was an intense time, between getting the hang of breastfeeding, night waking and naps all over the place. Frequently I was up for two whole hours in the middle of the night, faffing around with long feeds, nappy changes etc. It would honestly have been hell on earth to have a visitor staying in my house at that time.

Then there’s the issue with the vaccination status as you said. That’s a big concern with a newborn, especially if they’ve just been in Asia. Many diseases have an incubation time before symptoms appear.

You’re definitely not being paranoid!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

whiteroses (09-04-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Everytime I've travelled - regardless of the destination, I've brought something back. And you don't necessary know until days down the track.

It's not just bubs (although that's the most worrying) but you won't be at your strongest either so any little virus will really make your life hard(er).

It's not a good time in any couple's life for visitors - possibly one of the worst. The last thing you want is to feel obligated to entertain, clean up or even get dressed some days.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Elevatormusic For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast (09-04-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Yeah, just say no to them and you can thanks us later for helping you make the decision. Haha