+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It’s so hard to be in these predicaments, and I’ve been in similar situations (living away from family/friends) and I had a firm no WC vax, no stay rule, but you have to contend with the prospect of all sorts of nasties from overseas, just the risk of flu alone, let alone the myriad of things overseas travel can bring.
    I was a panic merchant when people had a cold sore near my babies, so I don’t think you’re being alarmist at all.

Also, a newborn is a LOT of sleepless nights and adjustments, let alone guests in your home on top of that.
    The obligation you would undoubtedly feel to be present, entertain and feed is a huge ask.

I concur with everyone else, it would be a polite no from me, that’s for sure.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

whiteroses (09-04-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks so much for all the input. I really appreciate the reassurance that I'm not being difficult.

I have politely said they can't stay and I'll help them find somewhere good to stay. They have been fine with that, thankfully. But I'm finding myself feeling nervous about even hanging out with them when they're just off a plane from a couple of weeks in China. The tricky thing is that I haven't seen them in more than a decade and they are pretty much coming all this way to see me and meet my family.

I'll just have to play it by ear, I suppose, trying to minimise or avoid time in the house together. Maybe propose walks or other outings in the fresh air. It's just really awkward timing. 6 weeks later and I would not be so concerned.

Thanks again x

4. The Following User Says Thank You to whiteroses For This Useful Post:

gorgeousgeorge (09-04-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    When you do see them, you could use a baby carrier and wear Bub. That way you have control over how close they get. And I’d just explain to them that as Bub hasn’t been immunised yet, you’d prefer to limit contact. I’m sure they will understand.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SheWarrior For This Useful Post:

Mod-Wise Enough (09-04-2019),whiteroses (10-04-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SheWarrior View Post
    When you do see them, you could use a baby carrier and wear Bub. That way you have control over how close they get. And I’d just explain to them that as Bub hasn’t been immunised yet, you’d prefer to limit contact. I’m sure they will understand.
    This sounds like a great idea.
    And after all, your friends are really coming to see you. 2w old babies are all the same

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SJ565 For This Useful Post:

whiteroses (10-04-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yep that’s what I did at a party where I didn’t want anyone touching DD1

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

whiteroses (10-04-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I plan to use our ergo for bub... we have my parents 50th wedding anniversary when he'll only be 10 days old, and there will be so many people there, many I'd rather not have touching the baby (many I'd rather not even see, or talk to.... let alone let near or play pass- the- baby 😅) but my attendance is expected 🙄 and given it's a surprise for my parents, and they are thinking we are having a belated birthday celebration dinner for me... I have to attend 😑

12. The Following User Says Thank You to shadowangel0205 For This Useful Post:

whiteroses (10-04-2019)