+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Allanahbananah View Post
    Hello ladies, lovely reading everyone’s stories and seeing how strong you all are.

I hope your success all comes quickly as you all deserve it.

As someone about to start, what would you tell me (and others), about how you cope emotionally, how you prepare before a cycle?
    For me, being a healthier version of myself helped...well mentally it made me feel like that was something I did have control over, as in Ivf there are some things that are out of your control e.g., how you will react to meds, how many eggs/embryos you may get to name just a few. So eating healthy and doing activities out side of Ivf that I enjoyed helped keep me sane. I happen to love yoga which I believe plays a part in keeping my stress down. Also try and keep your mind busy with anything away from the ivf journey. My first stim the ivf completely consumed me so I can't stress enough how important it is to find joy in the simpler things in life....as hard as that can at times be. And lastly, stay positive. X
    Last edited by Tinkers; 20-04-2019 at 22:12. Reason: Typo

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tinkers For This Useful Post:

Allanahbananah (20-04-2019),Simyt (22-04-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Minimix88 View Post
    Hey @Simyt and @Allanahbananah, my tcc buddies So sorry to see you here xxx but for sure it's a step closer and a step in the right direction and that's what counts xxx

I'm certainly no expert, having done one antagonist stim cycle only. But I can speak to the emotional side of things...

I actually struggled for such a long time with the concept of being *infertile*, it was such a source of shame for me and I backed out from doing IVF years ago as I couldn't face it.

But as they say, fortune favours the brave ! And after plenty of reflection I've come to realise there is nothing to be ashamed about at all. That sounds stupid even saying it - of course there's not... but it was just such a mental load I was carrying.

So now, no more mental load. I just tell people I'm doing / did IVF. It feels good. A few people have since opened up to me to say they are also doing / did / wondering about ivf and that's so refreshing for me to be upfront and honest. (That's my tip number one by the way but it won't be for everyone, my DH for example has not told a soul).

Tip number 2. Be as kind to yourself as possible. If you can't be bothered washing your hair in the stim week, get the hairdresser to do it. (Ok, it's a bit of a luxury but what's $30 when you're spending $6k +++). Generally take it slow. I got a massage the day before my egg pick up (I wasn't in any pain so it was totally relaxing and comfy but I guess that would depend how you feel).

Tip 3 - definitely use ice for the injections and be gentle when you're inserting/removing the needle. I've seen a few videos lately and I cringe at all the stabbing that's going on. Gentle and slow worked best for me (and anyway I think you're supposed to wait 5-10 seconds before removing the needle to ensure it's totally injected).

Tip 4 - go to a clinic that's convenient to your work / home - you'll need quite a few scans and blood tests, and to pick up medications etc. So the easier it is to access, the better. Again, it is seriously about making life as easy as possible for you, as it's a big deal.

Tip 5 - it might actually work. Very hard for us long term ttc'ers to believe but it really could work. So try to enjoy the process if you can (at.all). Like it's not for nothing... I know, i know, it's drs and it's clinical and there's needles and OHSS (which I got), but it's so beautiful to think we might all get a baby at the end of this, and I'd have zero chance without it, so I'm trying to be thankful for the small things, like the lovely nurses and the lady who took my blood like every second day for a week... and the science!!! (the transfer felt so sci fi !) And I know it doesn't work for everyone, it is not necessarily the silver bullet but it has got me closer than I've ever been and I'm hella grateful !!
    Hello dear!

Thanks for your response ❤️

I decided when we started this, that I would be open about our attempts ttc, and that I would continue to do so if we went down IVF, so I have actually told all my friends, family and workplace colleagues.

I was thinking that the stress of trying to keep it quiet and keep myself together seemed super hard and hoped this would help, so I’m glad to see it’s worked for you!

I am pretty scared on the needle situation, so my partner has agreed to do it for me, but at the same time I’m scared about him doing it and not being easily guided by my comfort level (if that makes sense). Did you consider hubby doing them for you or did you put on you big girl pants right from the start?

I have been reading all these stories about how some people have to travel from so far away, so I am definitely counting my blessings that my office is a block away from the main clinic, and that I live near their north lakes clinic I ever needed to go to that one.

Did you need much time off work for your cycle?

The science of this does seem so amazing and out of this world, and I kind of feel silly that we basically banged our head against a wall for 2.5 years before getting to this stage, and we didn’t do something about it sooner.

Why not take the science for everything it worth and give ourselves the best chance.

It ms just to overwhelming that I guess we just didn’t know where to start.

I’m also super happy that the bd we do now, is purely for fun, and no more of this forcing it to happen because we ‘had to’.

Hoping for some good news from you soon btw! When do you next transfer?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Allanahbananah View Post
    Hello dear!

Thanks for your response ❤️

I decided when we started this, that I would be open about our attempts ttc, and that I would continue to do so if we went down IVF, so I have actually told all my friends, family and workplace colleagues.

I was thinking that the stress of trying to keep it quiet and keep myself together seemed super hard and hoped this would help, so I’m glad to see it’s worked for you!

I am pretty scared on the needle situation, so my partner has agreed to do it for me, but at the same time I’m scared about him doing it and not being easily guided by my comfort level (if that makes sense). Did you consider hubby doing them for you or did you put on you big girl pants right from the start?

I have been reading all these stories about how some people have to travel from so far away, so I am definitely counting my blessings that my office is a block away from the main clinic, and that I live near their north lakes clinic I ever needed to go to that one.

Did you need much time off work for your cycle?

The science of this does seem so amazing and out of this world, and I kind of feel silly that we basically banged our head against a wall for 2.5 years before getting to this stage, and we didn’t do something about it sooner.

Why not take the science for everything it worth and give ourselves the best chance.

It ms just to overwhelming that I guess we just didn’t know where to start.

I’m also super happy that the bd we do now, is purely for fun, and no more of this forcing it to happen because we ‘had to’.

Hoping for some good news from you soon btw! When do you next transfer?
    I’ve had 5 fresh (collection cycles) and used PIO injections for luteal support for several FET/IVF cycles and I still have not once injected myself! I have tried but I just can’t do it Especially when I was doing up to 5 needles a day- I close my eyes lying down on the couch so I dont know which one is coming!

The amount of time off work depends on what time you start work, how flexible your work hours are, driving time, what time your clinic opens, whether they do appts outside of your working hours etc.

I live and worked 30-40min from my clinic, am a teacher (need to there around 8.20 latest and hours are concrete) and my clinic only opens at 7.30. For bloods and u/s appts, I’d always get there an hour before opening time and queue on the steps but if the staff were running late or I wasn’t the first one there I was too late for work so usually booked a half day off for each of those days.

Whenever I had an appt to set up a cycle it was also during the working day so again I’d have to take the day off. Egg collection days you’ll also need the day off plus a couple of days following it because you can feel pretty crap. And obviously embryo transfer day you’ll need off too.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Hopeful137 For This Useful Post:

Allanahbananah (21-04-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    As for preparing to begin your ivf journey (hopefully a very short journey!)... I’m up to my 10th cycle and I still find it hard emotionally- cry when you need to, try and stay positive and share it with your loved ones because you will want support.

In terms of more practical advice...
    - View this first cycle as a trial. Your FS doesn’t know how well you’ll respond to the medication and the first cycle can sometimes not go as well as anticipated because of this
    - be your own advocate, no one cares about you getting this baby as much as you do so if something doesn’t seem right, if you have more questions- ask!
    - take your own records. I write all of my bloods, u/s, meds, collection info etc down so that I can review and compare my next cycle. I have also found that doctors and nurses are only human and sometimes they forget things from previous cycles and it has been handy for me to be able to remind them (because I’ve read my notes 🤪)
    - get an app to help you manage your meds so you don’t forget them
    - get your partner as involved as possible in the whole process, make sure he reads your clinics handbook!
    - cut yourself some slack when you’re feeling rubbish on all the meds

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hopeful137 For This Useful Post:

Allanahbananah (21-04-2019),LDee (22-04-2019),RubyT78 (21-04-2019),Simyt (22-04-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Argh only 2dp5dt and I am going mad I have to keep stopping myself from POAS...even though I know that there’s no chance I’d get a bfp this early!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hopeful137 For This Useful Post:

Katr85 (21-04-2019),LS2610 (22-04-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopeful137 View Post
    Argh only 2dp5dt and I am going mad I have to keep stopping myself from POAS...even though I know that there’s no chance I’d get a bfp this early!
    Know that feeling I always start 3dp🤭🤦🏼‍♀️

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Katr85 View Post
    Know that feeling I always start 3dp🤭🤦🏼‍♀️
    Oh good I’m glad I’m not alone

Thanks
    Reviews
    Definitely something I'm going to ask about this time around....I don't feel quite so "fresh" anymore haha!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LDee View Post
    Hi everyone, I am 12 days into my 3rd attempt for a FET - my last 2 cycles have been cancelled due to thin lining. I had a scan last week and looks like this cycle is proving a bit more positive so fingers crossed my scan tomorrow goes well and we can get going with the transfer. We have 2x PGS tested normal embryos (from 5 tested). We did ICSI last July and I fell pregnant but had a MMC at 8 weeks.

Good luck to all!! x
    Ohhh good luck! I hope you finally get to transfer, it's a rough time having lining issues x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopeful137 View Post
    Good luck @fingerscrossed!

Yay that’s exciting @Seachange, hopefully it’s the real deal!

AFM We have finally got our PGS results back after 5 and a half weeks of impatiently waiting! And we have some normal ones Just waiting to hear from the nurses but I think transfer will be next Wednesday! I am sooo ready for a transfer!
    Whoohoo! Amazing news! the waiting for PGS results is nerve ranking - to then be replaced with the 2WW, then first ultrasound etc (hopefully!) - the waiting never ends! Something I'm not very good at either. Best of luck for you! x