+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 52 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    @Kelly1234 it's very good that the blood panel your FS came back clear. If you're also clear of things like endo and uterine problems, chances are overwhelmingly that you are just playing the odds trying to find a good enough, strong enough embryo.

This is what I was told by multiple doctors when I was 40-41......At that age, 70-80% of embryos are abnormal. Then every time you find and transfer a normal (in your case PGS tested) embryo, it has about a 40% chance of implanting. And then miscarriage rates are higher even with normal embryos.

PGS tested embryos are chromosomally normal, but may still have genetic issues which can't be tested for. Then embryos also need enough mitochondrial energy to keep dividing and implant etc, and the older the egg the weaker embryos are likely to be, even when they're PGS tested - so a PGS tested embryo made with a 30yo egg has a much better chance than a PGS tested embryo made with a 40yo egg.

All of these sobering stats are the reason that only about 10% of IVF cycles where the woman is 40 actually result in pregnancy (and then the miscarriage rate is higher). The good news though is that you're getting chromosomally normal embryos, that's excellent. Have you considered embryo banking? I think it makes a lot of sense - it can be expensive, but will really maximise chances.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kalina For This Useful Post:

Kelly1234 (11-04-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sobering statistics @Kalina. I pray this baby keeps kicking and comes out screaming as I’m afraid this is our one and only chance. I don’t think a (genetic) sibling is on the cards with odds like that. Fur siblings count though right!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by augieandaddie View Post
    Sobering statistics @Kalina. I pray this baby keeps kicking and comes out screaming as I’m afraid this is our one and only chance. I don’t think a (genetic) sibling is on the cards with odds like that. Fur siblings count though right!
    Oh sorry I really didn't mean to depress anyone! I guess I just feel like we all go into IVF expecting it to work and feel like freaks of nature of it doesn't, but I wish the industry was more vocal about telling people that it doesn't work most of the time.

Your baby is doing brilliantly @augieandaddie, and will absolutely come out kicking and screaming. The great and awful thing about statistics in fertility is that they're interesting and informative, but completely meaningless on an individual level. Whenever I think about how dismal IVF stats are, I think about Frankie... If I remember the details correctly she had her first baby at 40, then twins using her 42yo eggs...I mean, wtf were the chances?? The chances were almost non-existent according to the statistics, but there are always outliers in both directions and there is always plain old luck, both good and bad.

So what I'm trying to say is while there are eggs and good embryos, there is hope. I didn't mean to imply otherwise and be some kind of prophet of doom!

After all that, how are you going? Have you had your follow-up scan yet?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Kalina For This Useful Post:

augieandaddie (12-04-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Kalina I did collect embryos via 2 ivfs and I still have 2 pgs embryos and 3 non tested left. Second ivf at least 50% of the embryos are normal.

I have endometriosis but had a laparoscopy and was able to get pregnant naturally pretty quickly, that was 1.5 years ago, recent ultrasound showed no deep endometriosis.

Regarding stats I thought it was around 40% implantation too with a pgs embryo, new RE mentioned it is higher or lower depending on embryo quality.

Not sure what else can I be tested for or go straight to Synarel which my new RE thinks works for patients with endometriosis. Now she suggested another natural FET after seeing my results, I’m thinking this is the same as trying naturally? I can produce normal eggs. So could I have more underlying implantation issue? My first FET wasn’t timed very well so let’s see how the next one goes.

I do wonder if pgs testing is causing too much damage to my delicate eggs and whether I should forgo testing next time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Kelly1234 it sounds like you're starting from a really good position in terms of egg reserve and even quality, if I'm reading correctly you've had seven good blastocysts from two stim cycles. If one of your transfers was poorly timed then I don't think you can read too much into the fact that the other transfer didn't work. It also sounds like your FS is taking a methodical approach, which is good.

Despite all of that you still can't read too much into the fact that the embryos passed PGS - that's fantastic, but it doesn't necessarily mean they're baby-makers. Chromosomes are only part of the embryo picture - it's the only part they can test for though, so when they come back ok it's easy to think it translates directly into healthy, strong embryos.

Depending on your finances and whether you're hoping to have one or more babies through IVF in your shoes I'd still think about making and freezing more embryos - make hay while the sun is shining. Transfer numbers and egg age have a way of sneaking up on you.

I also fell pregnant naturally without too much difficulty before starting IVF, I was told that in my case IVF wasn't even necessary but would just speed up the process. Nine failed own egg cycles later, and three donor egg cycles (four de transfers) later, I'm finally pregnant. It wasn't fast, or easy, and I nearly walked away without a pregnancy. I'm not saying that's the norm, just offering a cautionary tale because I went very quickly from being in a really good starting position to going through absolute hell to have another baby. I hope it works for you really quickly and that you'll be one of those ladies who gets lucky, fast.

What you're saying makes sense, if half your embryos are testing normal I wouldn't necessarily have more PGS unless you're really cashed up.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kalina For This Useful Post:

Kelly1234 (12-04-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    At the moment I don’t really think IVF is speeding up the journey at all. I’ve been doing collection and transfers non stop since last year, at some point I’ll call it quits probably just one more collection. If implantation is an issue no amount of good embryos will fix my problem.

I can’t find much more information on endometriosis and transfers so I guess I’ll hope for the best with the remaining embryos. I’m happy with one healthy child for now.

I’m glad you’re finally pregnant with a healthy baby your journey has been super long and I really admire your tenacity.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Kelly1234 For This Useful Post:

Kalina (12-04-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly1234 View Post
    At the moment I don’t really think IVF is speeding up the journey at all. I’ve been doing collection and transfers non stop since last year, at some point I’ll call it quits probably just one more collection. If implantation is an issue no amount of good embryos will fix my problem.

I can’t find much more information on endometriosis and transfers so I guess I’ll hope for the best with the remaining embryos. I’m happy with one healthy child for now.

I’m glad you’re finally pregnant with a healthy baby your journey has been super long and I really admire your tenacity.
    Hi Kelly, I think you are doing a great job. But, I think unless you can get an FS which isn't telling you porkies about the ovulation timing, you will continue not having any hope with FETs. I'm not just saying this, I researched this in great detail. I have a BSc, am completing my second masters and know how to research, so please take this in good faith as I wish you success soon. I'm an auditor too and even audited for ministers, so after asking a few questions found out that my FS has one ovulation timing method for one procedure and one for another type, they are also going against known and accepted international methods (from the 1950s I think). When I have a moment I'm still intending to make a very serious complaint about my FS. Take care.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Frankie1 For This Useful Post:

Kelly1234 (13-04-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello Ladies, well had transfer today (2x Day 3 Embys untested) good to hear they survived overnight and were already heading towards a blast, but flying blind. This is our last FET using OE (3 on ice)before moving onto DE. Had a wonderful day feeling very calm & relaxed. Not holding out too much as I know the stats are low. But had a awesome day w/DH 🤞🏼

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RubyT78 For This Useful Post:

Blossom74 (13-04-2019),Risa78 (13-04-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Fx for you @RubyT78

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Kalina For This Useful Post:

RubyT78 (12-04-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalina View Post
    Fx for you @RubyT78
    Thanks so much @Kalina thanks for being so welcoming x

18. The Following User Says Thank You to RubyT78 For This Useful Post: