+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Anti-dandruff shampoo, freaking out, want to vent out

I'm currently 8 weeks pregnant. I have removed any harsh chemicals from my regime a week before FET but i only realised now that i didn't stop using selsun blue.

A little background, i had severe dandruff when I was in college that led to alopecia where I lost half of my hair. My dermatologist said the fungus that caused my dandruff live off the oils in my hair, compared to others who get dandruff when their hair is very dry. I tried all antidandruff shampoos on earth and topical lotions and only selsun blue worked like magic. One week of not using it and dandruff comes back very bad.

I wash my hair every second day but i don't use selsun blue with every wash, i have an organic shampoo that use in between. Anyway, i just realised this week that i should have stopped using it selsun blue. I read online that it is category c, should be discussed to doctor before using while pregnant but no studies yet show it causes fetal harm. I will mention it to my OB but i won't see her until 11 week

I'll definitely stop using it now but I am beating myself up because i didn't think of it, it's just become part of my routine because I'm scared my hair will fall out again. I've been so careful of everything even given up coffee completely. I'm scared ive done something to harm our bub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey hun,
    Please dont worry yourself, I'm sure it's all fine. So many people do worse thing and their babys are fine.
    Most people wouldn't even think of shampoo.
    I too am one for doing all I can to ensure bubs is safe and growing well. But we all have things sometimes without realising, and it's okay.
    I cried when I ate runny egg whilst pregnant and apparently that's not even a risk in Australia anymore???
    All the best and enjoy every moment, it goes by so quickly 😁

3. The Following User Says Thank You to McyD18 For This Useful Post:

joyjen (28-03-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by McyD18 View Post
    Hey hun,
    Please dont worry yourself, I'm sure it's all fine. So many people do worse thing and their babys are fine.
    I too am one for doing all I can to ensure bubs is safe and growing well. But we all have things sometimes without realising, and it's okay.
    I cried when I ate runny egg whilst pregnant and apparently that's not even a risk in Australia anymore???
    All the best and enjoy every moment, it goes by so quickly
    Thanks a lot for easing my mind. I was stressing so much. I had to send my mum who is in the Philippines to go to our dermatologist to ask but unfortunately she doesn't have clinics on Thursdays.

My nausea has eased up a lot which is a good thing but praying baby is growing up alright. Any change in the body freaks me out lol!

Hoping for 1st trimester to pass by quickly... Cant wait for baby bump and kicks so i can feel him in there

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by McyD18 View Post
    Hey hun,
    All the best and enjoy every moment, it goes by so quickly
    P.S. i love and miss my runny sunny side up too. Three times now i remembered i have to cook it properly so i had to put them back in the pan 🤨

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Anti-dandruff shampoo, freaking out, want to vent out

It’s topical so I think you’ll be fine. Just check with your dr.

FYI, my paediatrician got me to use Selsun Blue on my 2 month old baby to help with his severe cradle cap (sebhorreic dermatitis). Worked a treat. If it was safe with a baby, I’m sure you’ll be fine

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to misho For This Useful Post:

joyjen (28-03-2019),LoveMyWay (28-03-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by misho View Post
    It’s topical so I think you’ll be fine. Just check with your Dr.

This isn’t accurate. There are lots of topical products that are unsafe to use during pregnancy. Topical applications can be absorbed through the skin and enter the blood stream in small quantities.

Selsun blue is cat c meaning they don’t know if it is harmful to unborn babies. It may be ok but there is no research to prove this so it is recommended women don’t use it during pregnancy.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mum-I-Am For This Useful Post:

amyd (29-03-2019),gorgeousgeorge (29-03-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mum-I-Am View Post
    This isn’t accurate. There are lots of topical products that are unsafe to use during pregnancy. Topical applications can be absorbed through the skin and enter the blood stream in small quantities.

Selsun blue is cat c meaning they don’t know if it is harmful to unborn babies. It may be ok but there is no research to prove this so it is recommended women don’t use it during pregnancy.
    Yes i agree @Mum-I-Am (but not wanting to freak you out OP, what's done is done and completely understandable. I realised i had used my husbands selsun blue a couple of times when my shampoo ran out when i was preggers after reading your post. Never even thought about that and I too had gonr chemical free with all my toiletries, washing powder, household products etc...) My bubba is fine.
    The product info on their website for selsun blue does say not to use if pregnant or on children under 5 years old.
    But try not to worry too much, lots of us accidentally eat stuff or do stuff without thinking, it is hard to adjust to all the pregnancy no nos at first. I literally had some neurofen in my hand ready to take when i had a headache, then remebered i was preggers at the very last minute.
    I think try to take heart that the fact they dont know if it causes harm is much better than if they do have proven studies of high chances of issues.
    You could always ring your clinic and ask if you could speak to someone, they might ease your worries just by talking with you. Or even a gp just to give you some reassurance, to help you feel better.
    Try not to beat yourself up about it as we all worry if the things we accidentally do will cause problems and the majority of the time everything is ok xx

11. The Following User Says Thank You to gorgeousgeorge For This Useful Post:

Mum-I-Am (30-03-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If this helps, see below... it basically as i understand it says not to use it because theyve never studied it, i.e. as a precaution because they dont know, so just to be safe they say dont use it but they also say they would expect any risks to be minimal even if there were any which there might well not be. So yeah, dont use it anymore but try not too worry too much lovely xx I worry about my bubba everyday anyway even when I have no reason too. All part of pregancy i guess.Screenshot_20190329-220034_Samsung%20Internet.jpg

13. The Following User Says Thank You to gorgeousgeorge For This Useful Post:

Mum-I-Am (30-03-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gorgeousgeorge View Post
    If this helps, see below... it basically as i understand it says not to use it because theyve never studied it, i.e. as a precaution because they dont know, so just to be safe they say dont use it but they also say they would expect any risks to be minimal even if there were any which there might well not be. So yeah, dont use it anymore but try not too worry too much lovely xx I worry about my bubba everyday anyway even when I have no reason too. All part of pregancy i guess.Attachment 99915
    This is the problem with most medications/products in pregnancy. They can’t get approval to study the impact of medication and the like on pregnant women for obvious reasons so things that would be perfectly ok but can’t be proven with research.

It’s not like I would agree to be part of a study to prove a medication was safe in pregnancy so I’m not having a go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mum-I-Am View Post
    This is the problem with most medications/products in pregnancy. They can’t get approval to study the impact of medication and the like on pregnant women for obvious reasons so things that would be perfectly ok but can’t be proven with research.

It’s not like I would agree to be part of a study to prove a medication was safe in pregnancy so I’m not having a go.
    it’s a vicious cycle isn’t it! but then how does paracetamol get a category a rating? like surely at some stage it must’ve been tested to enough extent for it to be able to be labeled a safe category a?