+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Wesley, Sunnybank or Greenslopes

Hello everyone. So now that we've finally found out baby has a healthy heartbeat, i would like to decide on which hospital to book, or at least book a tour with. I know some say we should look for the obstetrician first but I trust these three hospitals have great doctors so I'll choose OBs from the hospital ive chosen.

I currently live Brisbane northside but currently building at Springfield so we'll move there before my due date. There's a private hospital in Ipswich but im leaning towards these big ones near the city. I have PHI as well.

I would like to know if any of you have experiences with the hospitals? Or PM me with recommended obstetricians. (I don't think we're allowed to post doctor's names?) Thank you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi @joyjen, congratulations on hearing a healthy heartbeat. I don't have any maternity experience with these three hospitals. However I been admitted to the Wesley twice and couldn't fault them. I'm curious as to why you haven't mentioned the Mater and Royal Brisbane. Have you heard anything about these?
    I am hoping to go to the Wesley if I get a BFP .

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Amandamoo
    I'm not sure if it's true but I've read the staffing ratio is better in private hospitals? Maybe, maybe not. Lol

I might go there as well. We'll see our FS next week and hopefully get a referral then decide which OB.

Good luck to you.. hopefully everything will turn out well

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joyjen View Post
    @Amandamoo
    I'm not sure if it's true but I've read the staffing ratio is better in private hospitals? Maybe, maybe not. Lol

I might go there as well. We'll see our FS next week and hopefully get a referral then decide which OB.

Good luck to you.. hopefully everything will turn out well
    It’s the opposite usually. Public hospitals have better staff to patient ratios. It was a huge fight with the union and senior management to ensure patient safety.

My main consideration would be access to emergency care (caesarean etc 24/7). The private hospitals you’ve mentioned do not have theatres staffed outside of hours so you would have to wait for a team to be called in from home. This would likely include the anaesthetist and paediatrician. This process might take 30 minutes which is a very long time if something goes wrong.

These hospitals can also only care for babies after a certain gestation. Maybe 30 or 32 weeks so you may be separated from bub if they come very early or are term but very sick.

These 2 things are why I would only have a baby at the Mater.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mum-I-Am For This Useful Post:

JustJaq (16-03-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mater Private .

I've had 2 babies there. Own room, very clean, good facilities for dads.

Room service food (That includes salmon, lol I ate so much salmon 🤤)

I used 2x Drs, Dr Alex Alexander and I used the now extinct arrivals (because they used to have a practice in brookwater, they've shut now though).

Dr Alex Alexander is great also the Gyn/OB That goes to priority health at Orion is really really good too- but I have no experience with him as an OB, only GYN.

I was put off the Wesley when they got the contaminated water...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mum-I-Am View Post
    It’s the opposite usually. Public hospitals have better staff to patient ratios. It was a huge fight with the union and senior management to ensure patient safety.

My main consideration would be access to emergency care (caesarean etc 24/7). The private hospitals you’ve mentioned do not have theatres staffed outside of hours so you would have to wait for a team to be called in from home. This would likely include the anaesthetist and paediatrician. This process might take 30 minutes which is a very long time if something goes wrong.

These hospitals can also only care for babies after a certain gestation. Maybe 30 or 32 weeks so you may be separated from bub if they come very early or are term but very sick.

These 2 things are why I would only have a baby at the Mater.
    Yeah I would say same thing re Sunnybank. It was a lovely hospital but I needed emergency surgery a couple of hours after DDs birth and they had to have a second doctor (my obstetrician who wasn’t actually on call that weekend) leave a party and drive up from the Gold Coast because they didn’t have enough doctors on site. I lost 3.5L of blood and they couldn’t get a doctor to my room! My nursing care wasn’t hardly ever by staff midwives but relief enrolled nurses who weren’t familiar with the hospital, despite having very serious complications. No continuity of care. I would only go to a larger hospital eg Mater with better staff numbers / closer to the public hospital if required.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Big public hospitals, like the Mater, will always have doctors and theatre staff onsite, stand-alone private hospitals won't necessarily, as PP said.

Mater is the tertiary maternity hospital in Qld - I was very happy to go there, and as a public patient too.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JustJaq For This Useful Post:

Mum-I-Am (17-03-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies I really appreciate it... Will discuss going to Mater with my husband. We'll be in Carseldine til September but he doesn't mind the drive for appointments.

I am researching about Obstetricians but it's very difficult to choose one. Do they all have similar fees? I trust that if they all work in Mater private they are good doctors...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks for the replies I really appreciate it... Will discuss going to Mater with my husband. We'll be in Carseldine til September but he doesn't mind the drive for appointments.

I am researching about Obstetricians but it's very difficult to choose one. Do they all have similar fees? I trust that if they all work in Mater private they are good doctors...
    I had my DS at the Mater. Admittedly it was the late 90s,so things may have changed, but I phoned the hospital and asked for the names of the obstetricians with the lowest c/s rates as a natural birth was important to me. Not sure if they would give that info out now if that is your priority, but it may be worth phoning the hospital and asking for recommendations? Or your GP at the very least.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I would research each Dr you are interested in. What sort of birth do you want? Some would be pro caesarean others less so. Fees will vary widely as will experience.