+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Smile Brisbane Primary Schools Recommendations

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has any advice on primary schools in inner-city Brisbane. My daughter starts prep next year so I need to get this locked in. Local public school is not an option so have to look at Catholic or Independent ones.

Have enrolled her at Somerville House but not sure if fees are worth it and have concerns over the competitive environment there as my daughter is quite sensitive. Any feedback that anyone has on this would be much appreciated.

Does anyone else have any other schools they could recommend? I am based on the inner-East so would ideally not want to have to go to the West as dealing with traffic when crossing the city each day would be a nightmare.

I'm looking for a larger school ideally just as they generally have more co-curricular opportunities, a school with nice teachers, nice kids and decent academic results. Also, I know religion goes hand in hand at all of these non-government schools but one without a crazy amount of religion would be ideal.

Any advice you have would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    How inner east? I know people who send their kids to St Joseph’s at Kangaroo Point and love it. I do think it’s a bit heavy on the religion though (from what I’ve seen shared in Facebook posts etc) but any religious school you’re probably going to get that I think.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Interesting - I am actually based in Kangaroo Point. I had ruled that one out purely based on my interactions with the school.

I called them around this time last year wanting to set up a meeting and couldn't get through to the school. Left a message and was told they would call me back and they didn't. A week or so later I tried again and they suggested I send an email. They replied and misspelt mine and my daughter's name and said I would have to wait until April of this year before any tours or meetings or anything could be done. I replied and asked for information regarding the co-curricular offerings / classroom sizes / languages offered etc and received no response. I then decided about six months later that I should enrol my daughter there just to be safe so called to ask for an enrolment pack. I. left a message but didn't receive a phone call back. I emailed and received a generic email response about a month later - which again misspelt my daughter's name. After this I ruled it out. My daughter's name is nothing strange - it's consistently in the top twenty most popular names for girls so there was no reason for this mistake and my name is about the most common 1980s name you could imagine!

Ironically - even though that school is within easy walking distance from my house, I haven't met anybody in my area who has kids who actually go to the school so I've not been able to tell whether they just have a slack enrolments department but the school itself is good. The results aren't great but I'm happy to overlook that if it's a nice environment.

What do your friends say about the school?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    They do really like it, but they are also practicing Catholics, so perhaps that has made a difference to their experience? As in maybe they know people there from church 🤷‍♀️

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I went to Somerville House myself, I was happy there, and DD was enrolled to go there however we haven’t been living in Brisbane since she started school so she attends a similar school on the GC.
    I was quite happy when I did the tour there (quite a few years ago now though).

Thanks
    Reviews
    OK, maybe that's the difference. Good to know that they're happy though so maybe I won't rule it out entirely. Thanks for the reply!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh good to know - thank you. She has been enrolled there for a couple of years and I'm 90% sure that's the school we will end up going with. It's just a question of whether she will go there from prep (is it worth paying so much when she is so young?) or move her across in later primary school. Time is ticking now so I just wanted to know if there's any other decent primary schools nearby that I'm not considering but should be - so far I haven't found any that compare though.

Can I ask if you attended there from primary school? And how did you find the school in terms of bullying? My daughter is an 11/10 on the sensitive scale so I just have my concerns how she will cope in such a high-achieving school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elbow View Post
    Oh good to know - thank you. She has been enrolled there for a couple of years and I'm 90% sure that's the school we will end up going with. It's just a question of whether she will go there from prep (is it worth paying so much when she is so young?) or move her across in later primary school. Time is ticking now so I just wanted to know if there's any other decent primary schools nearby that I'm not considering but should be - so far I haven't found any that compare though.

Can I ask if you attended there from primary school? And how did you find the school in terms of bullying? My daughter is an 11/10 on the sensitive scale so I just have my concerns how she will cope in such a high-achieving school.
    I started there in Year 8. It was a very small junior school when I was young. There was no problem that I saw with bullying in the senior school.
    The only thing I’d say about swapping in later primary (based on having DD in a similar school elsewhere) is that I think they may struggle to catch up. The workload does appear to be higher at DDs school vs other local schools, and as they learn instruments etc in school music, learn languages, the girls who come in later have to work harder to catch up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Holy Spirit in new farm is meant to be lovely. Also Clayfield college inner north isn’t heavily religious/independent and I’ve heard nothing but fantastic things. Great academic results as well. St Margaret in ascot as well.

Sorry I’m inner north so can’t comment on the eastern side.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the tips! Clayfield College and Somerville are both part of the PMSA group so I think they are quite similar schools - have heard wonderful things about both. Somerville is that bit easier for me to get to and I prefer that it's just girls in primary school. St Margarets is a great school but just a bit too tricky for me to get to - the thought of going along Kingsford Smith everyday gives me the shivers!

Holy Spirit would be one to consider - I have heard that it has a really welcoming environment but I was a bit concerned as to how religious it would be. It says on the website that they will take the bare minimum of non-catholic students to preserve their religious integrity (I'm paraphrasing but that's it in a nutshell). Do you know anybody who goes there who might have any idea on how religious it is?

All the good schools (for girls anyway) seem to be on the north and the west - in the inner-east pocket that I'm in there's not much choice!