+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default HCG levels rising too quickly?

IMG_4704.jpgIMG_4701.jpgI just found out that I'm pregnant. I already have 2 children and my husband was actually booked in for a vasectomy so to say this wasn't planned is an understatement. That said, we've come to terms with the fact that we might be having another baby.

The thing is though, my last period started 18/2. I'm not even officially late for my period yet however I decided to test because I had such strong symptoms. I first tested on Saturday (9/3) and thought I tested negative, but now a faint line has appeared on that FRER (maybe I just didn't look close enough at the time?) Anyway, Tuesday night with no real hold, I tested again because I felt nauseous and that burrowing feeling I only get when I'm pregnant and got a strong positive, again with FRER. Wednesday night, my partner bought a clearblue digital weeks estimator test, I've used these every pregnancy and they've always been right for me. Well the result was pregnant 2-3 weeks (4-5 weeks) which seems crazy given my period isn't even due yet. According to clearblue, this means my hcg levels are already over 200 and my actual (blood) levels are likely higher than that. My period is due this weekend.

I had bloods taken today and will get those results on Monday but I'm a bit scared, I've been pregnant 3 times before and my symptoms never usually start until around 6 weeks. From what I can see, I'm possibly having a molar/partial pregnancy. My dr said they were very rare and not to worry, but that based on my blood test results she would schedule an early scan. She laughed and said it was possibly a multiple pregnancy, which I'm also freaking out about.

Has anyone been through anything like this? Please share any stories with me, I am so confused right now.
    Last edited by Ashling; 15-03-2019 at 15:32. Reason: To attach pictures

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My hcg with this pregnancy was much higher and symptoms were much worse than my other 2 pregnancies. It’s turned out to be twins for us (ivf so not as uncommon). The bloods were almost 5 times higher than my singletons.

I’ve never used the digital tests so no advice there but I know recently the sensitivity of the FRER tests has changed and they detect the tiniest amount of HCG. That may account for the early positive with them.

I think you will just need to wait and see.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mum-I-Am For This Useful Post:

Ashling (16-03-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for replying. Yeah I've always had early positives with FRER tests, like before my period was due, but it was more the clearblue digital result and the strength of my symptoms that feels different. I recognise the clearblue digital tests are only an estimate, but according to their help team, they're more likely to read under than over. She was adamant that if I got 2-3 weeks, my levels were over 200. That number would explain my strong symptoms and nausea (yay) but I don't understand how my levels could be that high already?

I can't help worrying about a molar pregnancy. With a twin/multiple pregnancy, are your hcg levels higher even at 3-4 weeks?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Mine always rises super quick! I have super high hcg, and only singletons IMG_0908.jpgIMG_0878.jpg

I guess my period would be due at 15 dpo

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Thescientist For This Useful Post:

Ashling (16-03-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashling View Post
    Thank you for replying. Yeah I've always had early positives with FRER tests, like before my period was due, but it was more the clearblue digital result and the strength of my symptoms that feels different. I recognise the clearblue digital tests are only an estimate, but according to their help team, they're more likely to read under than over. She was adamant that if I got 2-3 weeks, my levels were over 200. That number would explain my strong symptoms and nausea (yay) but I don't understand how my levels could be that high already?

I can't help worrying about a molar pregnancy. With a twin/multiple pregnancy, are your hcg levels higher even at 3-4 weeks?
    Mine were. I had a blood test at the exact same time with each pregnancy and my first 2 were in the low 100s current pregnancy was 536. That would have been 4 weeks and a couple days.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mum-I-Am For This Useful Post:

Ashling (16-03-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow yeah my levels have risen very quickly in both previous pregnancies - a previous dr said he was sure I was having twins that time, but my levels in that instance were still within the normal range.

This time I guess I'm just confused because it seems normal hcg levels for 3 weeks are up to around 50, and the 2-3 week indicator triggers at over 200 so just seems a bit concerning. Plus my symptoms are ridiculous. I always get sick with pregnancy, but previously it starts at 6 weeks. I am so scared, if it's this bad already what's going to happen from 6 weeks onwards?

I would love to know if anyone else has ever had the clearblue digital say they were more weeks pregnant than what they actually were - and what it ultimately meant (if anything).

I'm going to really struggle with another pregnancy, I honestly don't know how I would cope if it was multiples.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did. We were trying so I know when we conceived. Said 5 weeks when I was max 2-3 when I tested. Twins. HCG at 6 weeks was off the charts. Didn’t know it was twins until first scan at 9 weeks but they should have called me after my 6 week blood test because there was a fair chance there was more than one based on the result. Good luck OP.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to rukidding For This Useful Post:

Ashling (16-03-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

My first DS, HCG was 846 at 4weeks exactly as it was IVF and was a Singleton pregnancy.

Second preg I tested at 3dp5dt and i got a super strong positive. Did a clear blue and it said 3+. Freaked out got bloods done at 4w as again IVF and they were 3500. I thought molar pregnancy for sure but the clinic talked about triplets turned out to be another Singleton. So in my experience, don’t stress until you have the scan good luck though!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Excited1 For This Useful Post:

Ashling (16-03-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow Excited thanks for sharing, those do seem like very high levels. That said, seems like you've had high levels with both pregnancies, whereas as this feels very different for me. My period isn't due until tomorrow but I'm feeling so nauseous already. I'm going to test again with the clearblue weeks estimator tomorrow morning just for curiousity's sake. I'm also looking forward to getting my blood test results on Monday. Previously for the same gestation (3w5d), I had 74 for my second pregnancy. My first pregnancy my hcg was 45 at 3w3d so I will compare Mondays results. Trying to just stay calm but it's hard when I'm already feeling like I'm going to be sick and I haven't even missed my period yet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well finally convinced DH to go and buy me a test for today lol
    Was a FRER test, my period should be due today, no sign of it at the moment.
    The test line appears to be stronger than the control line now. IMG_4714.jpg
    Then I took my last clearblue digital weeks estimator test, but it still said 2-3 weeks. My thoughts now are that it's just a singleton pregnancy, I will update when I find out for sure though. Still not at all sure how I'm going to cope with another baby