+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default NDIS Review

I just wanted to see if anyone has done an NdIS review and has any tips?

We have our review in a couple weeks and we are expecting it to not go wonderfully.
    When we did our previous plan DS was diagnosed with ASD, he has since had a reassessment and no longer has any disability. Paediatrician has suggested he continues his current therapies but that’s all we really have on our side. We will have reports from Speechie, OT, dietician and daycare but no official diagnosis.

We know we won’t get anywhere near what he received last time but we are hopeful he gets something (if he doesn’t, well that’s life. We will pay for what we can)

Any tips for the review? We’ve only done 1 plan so no review meeting before.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We’ve been through reviews a few times now - the reports are important, but also you’ll need to tell the planner what goals you are going to work on through the therapies. Your therapists can assist with putting the goals in writing.

It is also important to show that your DS is making progress with his therapies. If it appears he’s not progressing or the therapy isn’t working it deters them from continuing to provide support/funding.

You might find it harder to get funding this time around without the official diagnosis, however he is still pretty young so that may work in your favour (?)

Funding can be very inconsistent and unpredictable - it really depends on who oversees your case. A friend of mine who has a non-verbal level 3 ASD daughter just had her funding drastically slashed (which is awful), but my DS who is level 2 and progressing well has received more funding than the previous year’s package.

Happy to answer any other questions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Degrassi View Post
    We’ve been through reviews a few times now - the reports are important, but also you’ll need to tell the planner what goals you are going to work on through the therapies. Your therapists can assist with putting the goals in writing.

It is also important to show that your DS is making progress with his therapies. If it appears he’s not progressing or the therapy isn’t working it deters them from continuing to provide support/funding.

You might find it harder to get funding this time around without the official diagnosis, however he is still pretty young so that may work in your favour (?)

Funding can be very inconsistent and unpredictable - it really depends on who oversees your case. A friend of mine who has a non-verbal level 3 ASD daughter just had her funding drastically slashed (which is awful), but my DS who is level 2 and progressing well has received more funding than the previous year’s package.

Happy to answer any other questions.
    Thanks!!

DF and I have wrote down what goals we have seen improvement with and where we still need to see ‘more improvement’ I know that’s worded terribly but I think you know what I mean lol
    We have spoken to each person writing reports for us and they seem to have a good idea of what we need to write and what sort of goals we need to focus on. I figured they’d like to know progress ds has made. Is there any good way to be able to show it?

I do think you are right. There is a very real possibility we do it all and get no funding back. We will accept that honestly. The person who runs the early intervention place we attend said because he was under 7 we don’t need a diagnosis but obviously we have a lot to prove without one.

I noticed that when we received our plan. We got a ridiculous amount and someone mentioned a young teen who was non verbal got barely enough for a few weeks therapy. Insane!

I think we just want to give it a red hot go and try to get what we can to help ds but we also know that it just might not happen.

The person who we are doing the review with seemed so pleasant on the phone. She was really really nice (we aren’t doing our review the same place as our original plan) so to have a nice convo beforehand makes me feel a little less stressed lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If you have time, get one of the providers to do a functional assessment as this is NDIS language. This gives them an idea of your DS’ daily living skills etc. PM me if you want help. I work in this area

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MinnieMouse81 View Post
    If you have time, get one of the providers to do a functional assessment as this is NDIS language. This gives them an idea of your DS’ daily living skills etc. PM me if you want help. I work in this area
    Thanks!
    What does that assessment usually look like? We are doing something quite in depth with our OT (through the early intervention place we attend) I’m wondering if this might be similar? I think it is similar to what we originally did for ds plan in the first place.
    This whole thing confuses me sometimes lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It would be a questionnaire completed by parents - usually the ABAS-III. A psych, speech pathologist or OT could administer it. Good luck