+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Advice needed

Hi, so we are looking at moving to the Newcastle area in the next 12months. Husband is looking at a job over in Tomago. I would love some advice on areas. We want somewhere close to work, that has great school and pre school, a good family area, plenty to explore walking tracks play grounds etc. What is Raymond terrace, thornton, woodberry, metford like or look closer to lake Macquarie? Please help and thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kat2302 View Post
    Hi, so we are looking at moving to the Newcastle area in the next 12months. Husband is looking at a job over in Tomago. I would love some advice on areas. We want somewhere close to work, that has great school and pre school, a good family area, plenty to explore walking tracks play grounds etc. What is Raymond terrace, thornton, woodberry, metford like or look closer to lake Macquarie? Please help and thanks in advance.
    My hubby works in Tomago - we live in Corlette (Nelson Bay) it’s about a 40ish minute drive, but we love it here will
    Most likely never move.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I live in the Newcastle area, so I can't really vouch for schools in the areas you're looking at.

My pick from the suburbs you've mentioned would be Thornton. I believe Metford is pretty dodgy (I worked with a lady who lived there). Raymond Terrace is also what I'd say is a bit dodgy, though I have an old high school friend who loves living there with his family.

Have you considered Medowie? Seems a bit nicer than Raymond Terrace (lots of newer housing).

Fern Bay might also be worth a look - my parents rented there for a while and it was very quiet & there's a lot of young families that live there.

We lived in the Port Stephens area for a few years (Nelson Bay) and there's some nice spots out there (Corlette/Salamander Bay/Soldiers Point). There's plenty of pretty beaches and nature out there. For us personally, we find Newcastle more suitable as we like the lifestyle and access to a wider range of facilities.

Avoid Williamtown and Salt Ash - there's some really bad soil contamination issues there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If you’re trying to stick closer to Tomago, check out Medowie, Bay Areas, and Thornton if you don’t want to be near the beach.

We recently moved from the Fern Bay. I loved the suburb, school was a completely different story. My girls were so far behind when they got to their new schools that we spent the last 2 terms catching them up. Believe the principals contract is up end of the year, if they get a decent one in then it would be a good school and beautiful area to live in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Medowie, thornton or chishom

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Kat2302, how are you going with your research for a move? I'm also moving to Newy next year. My DD is in primary school and will be living in Adamstown.

Im still learning how to post on this forum and navigate my way around...but if anyone else reads this and can make suggestions on schools I would be very grateful. Happy with private and public just cannot afford Newcastle Grammar so other suggestions welcome

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Snow White 007 For This Useful Post:

Apple93 (05-08-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow White 007 View Post
    Hi Kat2302, how are you going with your research for a move? I'm also moving to Newy next year. My DD is in primary school and will be living in Adamstown.

Im still learning how to post on this forum and navigate my way around...but if anyone else reads this and can make suggestions on schools I would be very grateful. Happy with private and public just cannot afford Newcastle Grammar so other suggestions welcome
    Kids I nanny go to Wallsend south. It’s a great school. You’d have to live new Lambton heights/Elermore vale way though to be zoned for it

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Apple93 For This Useful Post:

Snow White 007 (05-08-2019)