+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Double pram

Hey ladies,

Would you get a double pram for a 2.5 year age gap?

I have an old VeeBee one that I got 2nd hand for my 21 month gap, but it is heavy and hard to fold up and unfold so I only used it for walks, would use the trolley at the shops, and single pram/capsule/carrier for activities/park etc. It worked ok but I had my hands full haha.

I know it depends on the kids to an extent but just after personal experiences

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, we used a double baby jogger city mini for a 2.5 yr age gap, and LOVED it. We used it sooooo often. Walks, day outings on public transport, going to kinder, etc etc. I used to get in the car as little as possible, so being able to walk a fair distance to run errands or go to the shops with 2 littlies was fantastic. City mini strollers fold really easily and compactly too, which is a great bonus.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to whiteroses For This Useful Post:

Fi Poledancer (10-03-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have a 25 month age gap and I have the baby jogger city elite. Love it because it can be a single or double pram and it’s great for walking. Not so great for shops and because it goes to peices rather than fold up it’s a bit of a pita to put together and takes a lot of our boot space.

But no way would I be without it and I use it every day. My toddler is a runner so no way I could trust her to walk beside me etc!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Patience86 For This Useful Post:

Fi Poledancer (10-03-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @whiteroses my single is a city mini zip and I love it!! It's not great for newborns as doesn't face mum but both my boys so far were big and strong so it was ok. Will have a look at the double, thanks!

Thanks @Patience86 I'm thinking with 3 kids it might be a good idea and will always get used for something if just bags haha! Yes it's the folding up/dismantling that is the bother with doubles!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I’ve got a maclaren twin techno. Only thing is you can’t buy them on Australia so have to either find one second hand in great condition which i did for $150 or there are legit eBay sellers in the US that post to Australia and they work out to around $730 odd Australian

8. The Following User Says Thank You to babybeeno1 For This Useful Post:

Fi Poledancer (11-03-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    yes i would. i have always regretted not having a double for 1+2 & 2+3, so finally have one for 3+4. i have a 3.5yr age gap and have a bj select lux with bench seat for my 3.5yr old runner/escape artist.
    also have wraps, carriers and ring slings for bub (4wks) and hope to use trolley when i can lift DS again (19kgs).

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PinkPopsicle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a strider plus I got when I had my first 7 years ago and then with 2.5 year gap we got the second seat. Between my second and third there is almost a 3.5 year gap and it’s been super handy still. My second is a bit of a daydreamer so if I want to get anywhere in a hurry then I just have her sit in the seat still and she’s now 4.5. The thing I like with the strider is that it extends the basket so i can still use it with only bub and it makes heaps of space for shopping underneath (I’ve done $100 shops without a trolley). Some people find them heavy and cumbersome though, but I’ve always found it very stable thanks to its wide wheels.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Green Cheese For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Given you already have a compact single pram, I would go with a dedicated double pram (eg. Agile twin) compared to an optional second seat pram (eg. Strider or City Select) as the Agile is easier to fold, still quite compact, and you can choose what pram to use depending on where you're going.

My dd1 was almost 3 by the time we were taking her and dd2 out together, and she didn't need a pram at all. If we had that gap after dd2, I definitely would have needed a double. She was a runner and would wear out quicker.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had a 4yr 2wk gap...
    We didn't need a double. Ds1 was great. His legs got tired at places like festivals and the zoo... but they weren't regular enough to warrant a double pram.

I'll have a 4yr 1-1.5 month gap between ds2 and ds3 soon... and again, we won't be using a double. Ds2 hasn't used a pram in a good 6 months (4 in 3 weeks). He walks or sits In the trolley, or we take extra rests if it's a bit long for him. We took a pram to the zoo when he had just turned 3 and he did use it but we probably didn't need it with the breaks we took.

In saying this though, we live too far for me to bother walking to the shops with the kids (a few kms but has some nice hills)....so I drive... and then it's only a small town, everywhere we go is walkable for a 3.5-4yo, or we re-park closer, or the takes his bike.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to shadowangel0205 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for all of the suggestions! I have lots of time to think it through as I'm only 7 weeks, but we are moving house soon so trying to get rid of stuff and I'm debating getting rid of this rickety double pram I have.

My DS2 is 22 months and already can hold my hand and walk with me in public relatively well however every now and again he will do something naughty like bolt. He is very advanced in his understanding but he can also be a monkey I think if I get a good double pram that is easy to fold and unfold it will get a lot of use. Even DS1 at 3.5 still likes sitting in the pram.

Thanks again!