+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How did u know u were ready for number 2?

My beautiful DD was born 7 months ago. Up until about 4 months I couldn’t imagine EVER having another one as I didn’t want to share my love and attention with another child - I want her to have everything.

I thought I might’ve been pregnant this month and for a while I was freaking out but then I accepted that if it’s happened it’s meant to be and I just need to trust the universe. When I wasn’t I was actually disappointed.

On one hand I want to give my DD my 100%.. but I was an only child so I really want her to have siblings. Not to mention I seem to be getting that urge to start trying or at least give it a chance and stop using preventions.

How did you know you were ready? What was it like going from 1 to 2?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DD is 21 months old now. For the past six months or so I've been feeling 'more ready' but to be honest I think it's like having the first one - even though I'd done years of IVF I don't think anyone is ever truly 'ready!'

As for your concerns about sharing the love you have for your DD with another child, I will share something with you that my Mum told me. Your new baby will bring their love with them. You won't have to share your love hon - your love will double when the next baby arrives x

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Blossom74 For This Useful Post:

Btae (09-03-2019),gorgeousgeorge (09-03-2019),JR03 (09-03-2019),KJane13 (10-03-2019),SJ565 (10-03-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blossom74 View Post
    My DD is 21 months old now. For the past six months or so I've been feeling 'more ready' but to be honest I think it's like having the first one - even though I'd done years of IVF I don't think anyone is ever truly 'ready!'

As for your concerns about sharing the love you have for your DD with another child, I will share something with you that my Mum told me. Your new baby will bring their love with them. You won't have to share your love hon - your love will double when the next baby arrives x
    That's beautiful and im so glad to hear it because i kinda shared the same worries. Im just going to remember that now. Problem solved.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gorgeousgeorge For This Useful Post:

Blossom74 (10-03-2019),KJane13 (10-03-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It took me about 3 years to feel ready for #2. I was terrified about not loving my second right up until his birth but the second I laid eyes on him, I knew he was mine and that’s all I needed to instantly love him.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

Blossom74 (10-03-2019),gorgeousgeorge (09-03-2019),KJane13 (10-03-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My best friend has 3 kids and she said the feeling of wanting another just comes..you’ll know when you’re ready.

This was pretty much what it was like for me but I also had life things I was also trying to plan around...finances, holidays and work etc. when I knew I wanted a 2nd, I had to convince hubby. Also, I didn’t want a 2nd if my 1st couldn’t talk/communicate easily. I found the 16-18 month mark the hardest in parenting so that made me realise I didn’t want to be dealing with a toddler struggling to communicate and a newborn.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Yogis Mumma For This Useful Post:

KJane13 (10-03-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I spent a couple of years trying to push aside the thought that I wanted a second, concentrating on the benefits of having one child because I was so scared about the thought of having to go back to IVF again.

In the end I just couldn't convince myself. For me it was more about not being able to make the decision to stop, rather than an intense longing for another baby. DD1 ended up really wanting a younger sibling so that has definitely played a part. Sadly we lost our second daughter at birth, and before that day I was adamant I could not go through it all again, but it did not take long to recognise that I was still not prepared to give up on the idea of having another child to love and for our eldest daughter to grow up with.

I have regrets now about struggling so long against the idea of having a second. I have loved being able to give DD1 so much of our time and attention, and there will be some advantages with the 5 year age gap, but we didn't expect delays in falling pregnant again, or baby loss to be factors. I don't think you can ever really be ready for another child, but I think you will find more people regret not trying sooner than those who feel it happened too soon.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bubbletrouble For This Useful Post:

gorgeousgeorge (10-03-2019),KJane13 (10-03-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wasn't ready, mine was a surprise but it was the best thing ever. The universe truly knew what it was doing

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fi Poledancer For This Useful Post:

bel2466 (10-03-2019),gorgeousgeorge (10-03-2019),KJane13 (10-03-2019),Yogis Mumma (10-03-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default How did u know u were ready for number 2?

Quote Originally Posted by Fi Poledancer View Post
    I wasn't ready, mine was a surprise but it was the best thing ever. The universe truly knew what it was doing 😍
    this. we talked about it for a while but no action as we never knew when to actually go ok, let’s start trying. i don’t know if i ever would’ve been ready really.

we weren’t being careful but we weren’t trying and it just happened. it was a huge oh f.....k moment and i was in tears telling dh. we were both shocked! now we’ve come round to the idea and are looking forward to her arrival next month!
    Last edited by turquoisecoast; 11-03-2019 at 06:53.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

KJane13 (10-03-2019),Yogis Mumma (10-03-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Blossom74 View Post

Aw that is beautiful! Thank you for sharing that, I’m gonna keep reminding myself of this quote.

Thank you to everyone for sharing your experiences and opinions. Still don’t know what to do lol but it nice to have some more information to go forward. In other news I’m in the middle of a bit of a pregnancy scare (but not completely a scare..?) as I’m about 5 days overdue for af! & Im on day 2 of brown spotting identical to when I fell pregnant with DD. No strong BFPs as of yet & going back & forth with what I’m hoping will happen but I’m telling myself whatever’s meant to be will be

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KJane13 For This Useful Post:

Fi Poledancer (11-03-2019),Yogis Mumma (11-03-2019)