+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Tell me a about your partial placenta previa...

Currently 22+4 with second baby. My 20w scan showed a partial placenta previa/ low lying placenta.
    I've had 2 painless, surprise bleeds- around 18w and 22w. Both have been attributed most likely to the placenta previa.
    At today's ob appointment, she gave me a heads up that if the bleeds continue or become heavier there's a chance of delivering around 37w, or being put on hospital bed rest.
    Ladies who have had PPP with bleeds (fairly light so far)- when did you deliver? Were you put on bed rest? Did your placenta move up on later scans, and if it did, did the bleeds stop?
    Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My story is a little different and I don’t want to scare you but given the chance again I would never attempt a natural delivery.

DS was stillborn at 24 weeks (absolutely nothing to do with the ppp). We tried a vaginal delivery because of gestation and complications of a classical caesarean. I had a massive haemorrhage (over 2l) and was having medication to keep my blood pressure up. I required 4 units of blood. I genuinely thought I was going to die (I was very sick but not that bad). I ended up needing the caesarean.

So I would be super worried about a spontaneous labour or bleed like mine with a beautiful live bubba on board. The outcome could be catastrophic. If bedrest and or early delivery is what the OB suggests I would do it.

Having said that there is every chance that your placenta may move and you could be absolutely fine.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mum-I-Am For This Useful Post:

SJ565 (07-03-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks @Mum-I-Am. I'm so sorry to hear of your loss

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Tell me a about your partial placenta previa...

Ds2 I had grade 4 PP with 4 being the worst. Did your OB give you a grading at all.

I didn’t have any bleeds at all except for a small implantation bleed at 5 weeks so I was sooo lucky in regards to that

It didn’t move at all

I was ordered to finish work at 32+4 on rest from there on in.

I had continued growth scans at 28+3, 32+3, 34+3, 36+3.

Delivery was at 37+1 via c/sec as the placenta had also started to deteriorate quite rapidly

There are quite few reasons why PP can develop to begin with. I’ve attached the list. Being on ivf meds is also another one no on the list.

I had 4 of the 9 reasons. No 1,2 and 5 from the list & the ivf meds I was on in the previous month IMG_2648.jpg
    Last edited by babybeeno1; 07-03-2019 at 15:14.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to babybeeno1 For This Useful Post:

SJ565 (07-03-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a grade 4 PP. I had 4 major bleeds with the first being at 31.5 weeks. Each time I was on bed rest for 48hrs then modified best rest after that. 4th bleed at 36 weeks resulting in emergency c section. Placenta was low but posterior so was in a safe position for c section and not for natural. It didn’t move out of the way as the pregnancy progressed. Take it easy, best wishes

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bel2466 For This Useful Post:

SJ565 (07-03-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I had it with my second. Moved by 34w. No bleeds.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babybeeno1 View Post
    Ds2 I had grade 4 PP with 4 being the worst. Did your OB give you a grading at all.

I didn’t have any bleeds at all except for a small implantation bleed at 5 weeks so I was sooo lucky in regards to that

It didn’t move at all

I was ordered to finish work at 32+4 on rest from there on in.

I had continued growth scans at 28+3, 32+3, 34+3, 36+3.

Delivery was at 37+1 via c/sec as the placenta had also started to deteriorate quite rapidly

There are quite few reasons why PP can develop to begin with. I’ve attached the list. Being on ivf meds is also another one no on the list.

I had 4 of the 9 reasons. No 1,2 and 5 from the list & the ivf meds I was on in the previous month Attachment 99695
    I've only been told its partial. Ob offered tp give me a copy of the report but I turned it down- i should have taken it!
    I'm only scheduled for another scan at 32w to check if the placenta has moved. I guess this might change if I have more bleeding? Did your ob give you a reason why you had so many growth scans?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bel2466 View Post
    I had a grade 4 PP. I had 4 major bleeds with the first being at 31.5 weeks. Each time I was on bed rest for 48hrs then modified best rest after that. 4th bleed at 36 weeks resulting in emergency c section. Placenta was low but posterior so was in a safe position for c section and not for natural. It didn’t move out of the way as the pregnancy progressed. Take it easy, best wishes
    I'm trying to work out if bleeds now mean things might get worse down the track? Or Maybe it doesn't work like that....?

Thanks
    Reviews
    A close friend of ours had a partial as well and bleeds throughout. She also then had a partial placental abruption so they were preparing her for the possibility of delivering early and trying to get her as close to 30 weeks as possible. They also said a C-section would be coming her way if it didn’t move higher. She delivered naturally at 37ish weeks but started to bleed out during the delivery. She was left quite traumatised from it all and thought she would be closing her eyes and not coming back when all the commotion was going on. She was very lucky to have made it through with both of them ending up healthy. Even if it does move I’d have a very serious and frank discussion on what the birth could be like and what risks there are to still try a natural birth. The bleeds did continue here and there for her despite it moving up a bit.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TortoiseNotTheHare For This Useful Post:

Mum-I-Am (08-03-2019),SJ565 (07-03-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks @TortoiseNotTheHare.
    I'm not worried about the CS as such- due to my age and previous CS, it's almost a foregone conclusion, even before the PP was found. The early CS though, that's more of a worry...
    I was pretty casual about the whole PP thing, until the bleed last week, and the warnings of what to look out for from the ob.