+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How long did your newly toilet trained toddler have accidents?

Wanting to hear from others how long did your toddler continued to have wee accidents after toilet training?

My son is 27 months and we toilet trained him unexpectedly a couple months ago during Christmas holidays. By unexpectedly I mean we didn’t set out to do it, but we were home for a week and he kept telling us when he needed to go to the toilet and that he didn’t want to do it in his nappy. So we just went with it and within a few days we had bought him underwear and he went nappy free at childcare the next week with no issues or accidents. In the past month he seems to have little wee accidents almost every day! It’s a bit frustrating, mostly because of the laundry, but also because he rarely has accidents on weekends at home and recently spent the day at a friends house and told the parents every time he needed the toilet. So I’m confident it’s not like a regression or that we toilet trained him too early, but maybe because he’s so busy playing and waits until it’s too late. While they do ask him regularly, I think it’s not in line with when he last had a drink and he seems to need to go within 20-30min of taking in fluids. I’ve told them that but I think at childcare it’s a lot trickier to be on top of it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It depends on the kid I think. My daughter is 7 and still prone to forgetting until it's too late (that's part of a bigger picture though, sensory processing issues etc.), my son is 4 and has only had a handful of accidents since he toilet trained.

I would just focus on helping him to be aware of his body, and going out of habit every transition. So before meals and snacks, before you go in car etc. Rather than waiting until he needs to go.

I have heard that many kids need reminding up until first year of school, so 27 months sounds very normal!

Thanks
    Reviews
    With it being at preschool, I think it's just par for the course a bit. It's a full on environment, and lots of stimuli for little minds.

I would ask them to take him after ea meal like you've said. But I think it's hard for day care centers to be as on the ball with this stuff because they're dealing with so many kids at once. It's impossible for them to be as attentive as we may be at home

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    He still does have a pee accident now and then by that I mean a couple times a month it's not an every day thing.