+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How much does an 11 month old eat?

I am looking for opinions tips and reassurance on my 11 months old.
    He hardly eats anything.
    He is breastfed, on demand, alert and meeting milestones and in the normal weight range BUT he hardly eats any solids.
    I’m lucky if he eats one pouch’s worth of baby food, we offer lots of different foods and he will take a few bites but does not eat more than 5-6 small bites before he’s had enough... I don’t like to force feed so I just keen offering, during the day he will not eat more than a pouch and a few bites at dinner and maybe a strawberry or some Cheerios when his bigger siblings have afternoon snacks after school.
    I feel like that’s not enough !?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Id say if he's breastfeeding on demand, try not to worry he's getting everything he needs from your milk. If he's not losing weight, he's fine.
    They say before 12 months that solids are just for experimenting and for fun. A kind if introducrion to food, not necessarily essential for nutrician iykwim.
    I got my daughter to start eating by expressing breastmilk and adding it to Weet-Bix and make it very very liquid, so it was almost just like spooning her milk with a little mushy weetbix. Then gradually reduced the amount if milk until it was more like a normal bowl of weetbix. So that got her used to solids.
    And all baby's are different.
    Breastmilk is all he really needs at this stage. But maybe a slow introduction to really mushy food with the taste of breastmilk in it might get him going on solids.
    Some kids just dont each much, just like adults. We all have different appetites. Hope that helps. If he was losing weight id be concerned but if he is breastfed on demand, he knows when he's hungry and he's getting all the nutrician he needs from your milk.
    My daughter refused to eat any premade/ pouch/shop bought baby food.
    I used my nutriblender to blend cooked veggies and added expressed breastmilk at the start or blend fruit. Maybe he just needs to start on more mushy liquidy stuff. It sounds like he is interested in food and eating with your family so even if he's not actually consuming that much he's still getting a great induction into the whole eating thing. :-)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to gorgeousgeorge For This Useful Post:

ciaomamma (08-03-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    P.S. i just have to add that i have a really small appetite, always have and i actually worry that my 14 month old eats too much food So it was just makong me think that if our children have different appetites to us or if they are quite different to our other children in terms of their eating habits, this probably causes us to worry too. But i think every one is different and thats ok and personally i hate it when people try to force me to eat when im not hungry so i guess just wanted to add that i hope my previous post didnt soind high and mighty- know it all. I worry about my daughters eating habits too, just the other end of the spectrum xx

5. The Following User Says Thank You to gorgeousgeorge For This Useful Post:

ciaomamma (08-03-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I highly recommend you follow Mealtime Building Blocks on Facebook or Instagram. It’s run by a paediatric dietitian who has a young child as well. She has such a great message in reading babies cues and letting them explore food and reducing parental anxiety. It has really helped me have a relaxed journey with my, nearly, 2 year old.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Yogis Mumma For This Useful Post:

ciaomamma (08-03-2019)