+ Reply to Thread
Page 52 of 53 FirstFirst ... 24250515253 LastLast
Results 511 to 520 of 530
  1. #511
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    20,720
    Thanks
    1,728
    Thanked
    9,980
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

    Default General Federal Election Thread

    An $11,000 a year pay rise for the PM. His third pay rise in ONE year. Meanwhile Australia’s 700,000 lowest paid retail workers are set to lose out again with more penalty rate cuts from July 1

    Backbench MP’s are set to get a $4000 a year increase whilst hospitality workers are set to lose $2000 year.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 07-06-2019 at 08:30.

  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

    Californication (07-06-2019),Kalina (07-06-2019),Mod-Wise Enough (08-06-2019)

  3. #512
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    20,720
    Thanks
    1,728
    Thanked
    9,980
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    And I’ve just read that labor might support the proposed tax cuts in full as long as the government brings them forward to July to stimulate the economy. This means that the PM would get an $11,000 a year tax cut on top of his $11,000 pa pay rise. Quite significant given wage growth (especially for lowest paid workers) and that wage growth has stagnated the last 6 years and almost at its worst growth rate ever.

  4. #513
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    3,589
    Thanks
    2,689
    Thanked
    4,548
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    An $11,000 a year pay rise for the PM. His third pay rise in ONE year. Meanwhile Australia’s 700,000 lowest paid retail workers are set to lose out again with more penalty rate cuts from July 1

    Backbench MP’s are set to get a $4000 a year increase whilst hospitality workers are set to lose $2000 year.
    It would be laughable if it wasn't so sickeningly predictable.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Kalina For This Useful Post:

    Californication (07-06-2019)

  6. #514
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    3,589
    Thanks
    2,689
    Thanked
    4,548
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    And I’ve just read that labor might support the proposed tax cuts in full as long as the government brings them forward to July to stimulate the economy. This means that the PM would get an $11,000 a year tax cut on top of his $11,000 pa pay rise. Quite significant given wage growth (especially for lowest paid workers) and that wage growth has stagnated the last 6 years and almost at its worst growth rate ever.
    I wonder why on earth labor would do that, given what the tax package in full would mean. It would be extremely disappointing if they did.

  7. #515
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    6,825
    Thanks
    9,304
    Thanked
    5,929
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

    Default General Federal Election Thread

    Tax cuts for the wealthy are a dumb idea - most won’t spend the money and it won’t stimulate the economy. I think the tax free threshold should be substantially increased, benefiting everyone that is currently on an income above the current threshold.

  8. #516
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    20,720
    Thanks
    1,728
    Thanked
    9,980
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Scary times ahead

    IMG_4473.jpg

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

    Kalina (07-06-2019),Mod-LIKE A BOSS (08-06-2019)

  10. #517
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    20,720
    Thanks
    1,728
    Thanked
    9,980
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Well this article is from August last year but still!!!
    https://amp.smh.com.au/world/oceania...21-p4zyq2.html

  11. #518
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    3,344
    Thanks
    950
    Thanked
    2,745
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Well this article is from August last year but still!!!
    https://amp.smh.com.au/world/oceania...21-p4zyq2.html
    So she earns 20% less than our PM, to run a country with only 20% of our population and 35 times smaller in land area. If you think our PM is overpaid then NZ is seriously overpaid.

  12. #519
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    20,720
    Thanks
    1,728
    Thanked
    9,980
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

    Default General Federal Election Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-DJ Nette View Post
    So she earns 20% less than our PM, to run a country with only 20% of our population and 35 times smaller in land area. If you think our PM is overpaid then NZ is seriously overpaid.
    Show me where I said that the PM is overpaid. My issue as I posted earlier is with the pay increase on the same day the lowest paid workers lose more of their penalty rates. You seem to defend the government all the time but how can you defend that?

    ETA - and for the record, since December 2011 the wage for the top job in Australia has gone up from $367,000 to $538,460. Quite a significant increase don’t you think when wage growth is the slowest it’s been for decades.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 08-06-2019 at 21:58.

  13. #520
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    3,344
    Thanks
    950
    Thanked
    2,745
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Show me where I said that the PM is overpaid. My issue as I posted earlier is with the pay increase on the same day the lowest paid workers lose more of their penalty rates. You seem to defend the government all the time but how can you defend that?
    The government didn’t make the pay rise, it’s an independent tribunal. What is your point about their pay rise if you don’t think they are already overpaid?

    I’m not defending the government, I think all sides are too busy playing politics and not spending enough time running the country. I don’t think the current system encourages our best and brightest to want to run the country.

    You seem to speak in extremes, without acknowledging that the majority of people in Australia are neither extremely rich or extremely poor. We have an amazing country with a high standard of living.


 

Similar Threads

  1. General Multiple Chat Thread
    By DoubleDelight in forum Parents of Multiple-Births
    Replies: 175
    Last Post: 26-04-2008, 22:03
  2. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 15-10-2007, 19:40
  3. Who do you THINK will win the Federal Election?
    By Aquamarine in forum News & Current Affairs
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 14-05-2007, 11:54
  4. So WHEN is the federal election?
    By MilkingMaid in forum News & Current Affairs
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 09-05-2007, 09:12
  5. Federal Election Vote
    By SassyMummy in forum News & Current Affairs
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 20-12-2006, 22:48

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

FEATURED SUPPORTER
Baby Car Seats and Infant Car RestraintsBuying a baby car seat? Check out our 'go-to' links here!
FORUMS - chatting now ...

ADVERTISEMENT