+ Reply to Thread
Page 53 of 53 FirstFirst ... 343515253
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-DJ Nette View Post
    The government didn’t make the pay rise, it’s an independent tribunal. What is your point about their pay rise if you don’t think they are already overpaid?

I’m not defending the government, I think all sides are too busy playing politics and not spending enough time running the country. I don’t think the current system encourages our best and brightest to want to run the country.

You seem to speak in extremes, without acknowledging that the majority of people in Australia are neither extremely rich or extremely poor. We have an amazing country with a high standard of living.
    Every time I say something you quote me and defend the government.

I am aware the wage increase is done independently but like in NZ, and as has been done here before, they don’t have to accept it.

Scott Morrison voted 8 times against protecting penalty rates.

We do have a high standard of living but that doesn’t mean there aren’t people struggling and it doesn’t mean we can’t strive to do better.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Every time I say something you quote me and defend the government.

I am aware the wage increase is done independently but like in NZ, and as has been done here before, they don’t have to accept it.

Scott Morrison voted 8 times against protecting penalty rates.

We do have a high standard of living but that doesn’t mean there aren’t people struggling and it doesn’t mean we can’t strive to do better.
    Of course we can always do better. However you never acknowledge that year on year we do do better (regardless of which party is in). Funding for health and education has increased year on year in every year for the past 20 years.

In the last 10 years $5.4 billion has been spent on capital works for housing in remote indigenous communities (which have a population of around 150,000 people).

Over the past 2 weeks I have visited 9 very remote indigenous communities, inspecting some of the $15 million of infrastructure I have personally been involved in delivering over the past 2 years (not to mention the many many millions more that others are delivering). My lived experience is that government (feds and state) are doing a lot. I have also seen much funding wasted on misguided efforts to help without understanding the problem, therefore I’m not convinced that more money always equals better outcomes.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default General Federal Election Thread

To add, public servants got a 2% pay rise. Minimum wage went up 3%.
    Last edited by babyno1onboard; 09-06-2019 at 03:14.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-DJ Nette View Post
    The government didn’t make the pay rise, it’s an independent tribunal. What is your point about their pay rise if you don’t think they are already overpaid?

I’m not defending the government, I think all sides are too busy playing politics and not spending enough time running the country. I don’t think the current system encourages our best and brightest to want to run the country.

You seem to speak in extremes, without acknowledging that the majority of people in Australia are neither extremely rich or extremely poor. We have an amazing country with a high standard of living.

They hide behind this "independent tribunal". The members of the tribunal are appointed by the handsomely-paid governor general, who in turn is appointed by the government.

Parliament can disallow regulations set in relation to politicians salaries, but obviously enough of them have to vote for this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Most of us do, overall, have a decent standard of living, but in my view it's precisely because we are an affluent country that it's unacceptable that so many people live in poverty. Almost one in five children in this affluent country live in poverty. That's a national disgrace.

The majority of the population, those whose work generates this country's wealth, receive a disproportionately small part of that wealth, which is concentrated at the top. Inequality is rising. And since wages have been stagnating for years - through periods of solid economic growth - most people's standard of living is actually declining.
    Last edited by Kalina; 09-06-2019 at 07:34.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kalina For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats (09-06-2019),SSecret Squirrel (09-06-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also, almost every government for the past several decades can claim to have spent record amounts on health and education. It's true for most governments under both major parties, but in and of itself doesn't tell the story. You have to account for population growth, actual vs projected expenditure, where that money actually goes, the fact that Medicare expenditure (eg) is dictated by how many people access health services and so on. Spending money doesn't necessarily result in palatable gains for the bulk of the population.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kalina For This Useful Post:

SSecret Squirrel (09-06-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    That last bit was meant to be 'palpable gains', not 'palatable gains'. Auto-correct-induced typo...or Freudian slip, ha ha.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalina View Post
    That last bit was meant to be 'palpable gains', not 'palatable gains'. Auto-correct-induced typo...or Freudian slip, ha ha.
    Palatable works too!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

Kalina (09-06-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks
    Reviews