+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 53 1231151 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default General Federal Election Thread

With the election looming and the campaigns amping up, it's time to start a thread to discuss it all.

What promises are you on board with or against?
    For swing voters, what issues will determine where your vote goes?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Labor is promising free and more accessible abortions for women in regional areas, as well more accessible contraceptives.

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2019-...ction/10873612

This is a great move, in my opinion. No doubt, there would be women who can't afford the cost of the procedure and travel to access it, giving them no option but to continue with an unwanted pregnancy and potentially raise a child in poverty. Abortion rates are already declining, so it's unlikely this would suddenly spike the numbers, especially if contraceptives are also more accessible.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

Izy (10-05-2019),LoveMyWay (06-03-2019),Mum-I-Am (06-03-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicmama View Post

This is a great move, in my opinion. No doubt, there would be women who can't afford the cost of the procedure and travel to access it, giving them no option but to continue with an unwanted pregnancy and potentially raise a child in poverty. Abortion rates are already declining, so it's unlikely this would suddenly spike the numbers, especially if contraceptives are also more accessible.
    Unfortunately it’s a state matter, so Labor can promise what they like, but unless it is legal in your state no amount of funding will make a difference.

What annoys me about all sides of politics is when they promise or make comments about things that aren’t in their jurisdiction anyway.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mod-DJ Nette For This Useful Post:

Californication (06-03-2019),Izy (10-05-2019),JR03 (13-04-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    no idea who i’ll vote for, most likely it’ll be greens, reason party or labor. at a state level, i have a huge crush on dan andrews and wish he’d run for PM. he’s what the country needs. he’s so progressive and literally everything that comes out of his mouth i agree wholeheartedly with.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

HappyDaysAllRound (06-03-2019),Mod-LIKE A BOSS (06-03-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DH is a LNP voter due to business ownership and higher income. I’m from a working class background and was a swing voter and still kinda noncommittal.

I don’t see how the LNP can possibly win the election. They are dropping like fly’s. Bishop in my opinion was an amazing woman, politician and face of Australia regardless of your political opinion. They’ve acted like a pack of clowns and they will surely pay the price.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mum-I-Am For This Useful Post:

Izy (10-05-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-DJ Nette View Post
    Unfortunately it’s a state matter, so Labor can promise what they like, but unless it is legal in your state no amount of funding will make a difference.

What annoys me about all sides of politics is when they promise or make comments about things that aren’t in their jurisdiction anyway.
    They are hoping to get NSW to decriminalize it, how... I'm not sure. It's legal in most other states though, so this will benefit them.
    Also, if you consider that the federal legislation and funding is already there and doesn't get quashed when Libs get back in, it's good to go once the state level catches up and change the archaic laws. So, while we may not all be able to reap the benefits immediately, we will in the future.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

Izy (10-05-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    no idea who i’ll vote for, most likely it’ll be greens, reason party or labor. at a state level, i have a huge crush on dan andrews and wish he’d run for PM. he’s what the country needs. he’s so progressive and literally everything that comes out of his mouth i agree wholeheartedly with.
    I tend to vote Greens, as Labor are too centre for my liking.

I'm not familiar with Dan Andrews, so I shall do some reading

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mum-I-Am View Post
    DH is a LNP voter due to business ownership and higher income. I’m from a working class background and was a swing voter and still kinda noncommittal.

I don’t see how the LNP can possibly win the election. They are dropping like fly’s. Bishop in my opinion was an amazing woman, politician and face of Australia regardless of your political opinion. They’ve acted like a pack of clowns and they will surely pay the price.
    one would hope so. julie was their last ace and they wrecked that, so now they’re (hopefully) up crap creek without a paddle. i can’t stand them. they’ve gone so far to the right it’s scary. here in vic when we had our most recent state election, we saw a lot of very traditional liberal stronghold suburbs swing violently to the left. areas like hawthorn, toorak, brighton etc. i was pleasantly shocked. that’s so telling. only the outer eastern suburbs continued to be LNP areas, but they’re mostly older (like our parents age) very socially conservative types so it’s hardly surprising.

but yeah, hopefully liberal are gone. their time is up and they’ve behaved terribly.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

atomicmama (06-03-2019),Izy (10-05-2019),Mum-I-Am (06-03-2019),Yogis Mumma (11-04-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mum-I-Am View Post

I think putting Bishop at the front of the party was their only chance.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard (06-03-2019),Californication (07-03-2019),Mum-I-Am (06-03-2019),turquoisecoast (06-03-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have no idea who I’m going to vote for. I pay absolutely zero attention to politics. I don’t know who our current PM is. When I vote, I don’t recognise any names ever.
    Probably makes me the ******* but I purely vote because I have to. Not because I believe anything that comes out of any of their mouths.