+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 5 week old rolls around in discomfort from 2am EVERY night

Hi everyone,

My 5 week old does the exact same thing every single night. He rolls around in discomfort in his bassinet after his 2-3am feed and this lasts for about 4-5 hours (he eventually gets so uncomfortable and overtired and starts crying). If we pick him up it stops straight away. Could this be indigestion? We burp him and sit him upright for 20 mins before putting him back down. We've also elevated the mattress in his bassinet slightly. We've also tried infants friend in case it's wind. NOTHING works!

Would love to hear from any parents out there with similar experiences as I'm not getting ANY sleep from 2am onwards and I'm becoming extremely sleep deprived.

FYI - he is 100% formula fed and is on Nan Comfort. Could it be that we need to change formula? I wouldn't think so given he is fine at all other times of the day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by AX2018 View Post
    Hi everyone,

My 5 week old does the exact same thing every single night. He rolls around in discomfort in his bassinet after his 2-3am feed and this lasts for about 4-5 hours (he eventually gets so uncomfortable and overtired and starts crying). If we pick him up it stops straight away. Could this be indigestion? We burp him and sit him upright for 20 mins before putting him back down. We've also elevated the mattress in his bassinet slightly. We've also tried infants friend in case it's wind. NOTHING works!

Would love to hear from any parents out there with similar experiences as I'm not getting ANY sleep from 2am onwards and I'm becoming extremely sleep deprived.

FYI - he is 100% formula fed and is on Nan Comfort. Could it be that we need to change formula? I wouldn't think so given he is fine at all other times of the day.
    Definitely sounds like reflux but I’m sorry that despite everything you’re doing it’s not working! My DD had reflux but after implementing the things you’ve mentioned she was ok. She was also on nan comfort. I doubt it could be a dairy allergy if he’s fine during the day .. maybe try a probiotic, keep him upright slightly longer (I had to do 30mins) & if he is in discomfort lie him on his back and do bicycle legs? - could be wind.

I hope it gets better soon! x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If he's awake, kicking around but happy, I'd say he's just struggling to discern night from day. Both my bubs thought 2am was party time at that age!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Is he in pain somewhere else maybe, not gut pain? Some babies put their backs/necks etc out getting squeezed out during birth. Maybe laying in the cot for longer exacerbates it? Is he swaddled or held or in a pram/rocker/bouncer for a lot of the day? Just an idea

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DS had pain from about 11 weeks - almost six months around that 3am mark, except he would be screaming even in our arms. He was BF and I cut out dairy which did help but didn't completely stop it. We never really figured it out - reflux was ruled out, they didn't think it was a proper dairy allergy but rather intolerances. It was so hard and I was very tired. But when he started on solids properly it fixed itself. Babies are such mysteries sometimes! I hope you figure it out!!