+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How often do you get sick?

As the title suggests. How often do you get sick? Do you always catch what your kids get? What was your health like prior to having kids?

Since having DD (almost 3yo) I’ve had influenza A, two bouts of tonsillitis (haven’t had this since early teens), common colds, a few other nasty viruses.

Before DD, I was still around children for work but wasn’t sick as much!

I wondered if I was lacking some nutrients so I had a full blood check the other month, everything was fine. It made me wonder how often other parents or individuals get sick...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Now the kids are older, not very often. I had laryngitis last year and before that, um I had the flu in 2008, oh and gastro about five years ago. Mostly I just get a sore throat in winter and doesn't develop into anything.

When the kids were little I used to get sick more often. A few times a year at least.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Probably the same amount as pre kids. I get 1-2 bad colds a year.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Before kids I used to get sick the same week every July with a chest infection

As a kid I had continuous tonsillitis until my dentist called my gp and said I need them out this is nuts

Last time I was badly sick was July haha 2012 ds1 & myself had the flu together we where so sick. My folks tagged teamed it coming to look after us each day by delivering food and doing washing etc

With Ds2 I was sick once with gastro while pregnant

With dd I’ve been sick once this past Xmas with a horrible cold

I cant afford to get sick as its me looking after everyone and running a household

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I definitely find I’m more sick post babies, but not from catching anything from them as such (I’m pretty lucky my kids have rarely been sick, I can count on one hand my 2 kids have been to the doctors or have vomited in total in 6 years).

For example, every cold going at work I will catch, and i worked in my job for 8 years without catching gastro once during outbreaks (aged care) but now, guaranteed every single time I will catch it despite precautions.

I wonder maybe because I’m more vigilant keeping clean and trying to avoid getting sick since kids, therefore I’m less immune to germs, or maybe because I’m run down or don’t eat as well as I should?

Or a possibility that these days I can’t just rest and chill when feeling a bit off so it progresses into something much worse now?

I’ve just started probiotics daily to see if it’ll make a difference.
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 18-02-2019 at 19:55.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Other than having 12 hour gastro twice which I don’t remember having pre-kids, I don’t think it’s changed much. If anything I’m more terrified than ever of getting sick, but fingers crossed haven’t had anything too bad so far

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    We are not sick that often in this house.

I don’t usually catch what my kids have but apart from a couple of days vomiting for my eldest 2, we haven’t been sick for a long while.

Put it this way...we moved out of Sydney in December 2017 and none of us have been to the doctor since moving. Even prior to that we didn’t see my old gp much for sickness.

I’m seriously knocking on wood right now!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    before ds, dh and i seldom got sick. we all got our as$es kicked after he started daycare at 6m though. i had soooo much time off work for both myself and ds. it lasted about 3-4 months hardcore then tapered off over the summer months. ds caught a virus that landed him in hospital for 24 hours when he was 14 months old, but beyond that, he’s been very robust and we all (touch wood!) have remained pretty illness free since then. we get the odd cough/cold or passing virus but nothing major.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I’m definitely sicker often however I don’t know that it’s post kids or that I’m nearing 40 and don’t take care of myself.
    Chest infection and asthma once or twice a year.
    Very lucky that since DS passed the spewy baby stage, he hasn’t vomited since. No gastro or tummy bugs.

Thanks
    Reviews

Plenty more sick than before. It’d be double if not triple the level.

I try and stay healthy. I eat well, I exercise (not as much as before but I do try to do lots), I generally look after myself.

Now with 3 kids, being a soccer mum, I feel so run down and always sick.

I have swine flu last year. I always get their sniffles (because they end up with me and cough into my face lol). I’m always exhausted.

I now find that I’m so bloated at the end of the day my clothes barely fit. I’m so super tired by Wednesday that I’m a zombie at work. Someone mentioned my cortisol levels could have reached a new baseline, and that certainly makes sense. I have put on 5kg in 6 weeks- no, I’m not UTD coz I’m too tired to DTD- it’s been months.

I’ve recently developed rosacea on my face... me.. who spends money on fancy skincare brands and what not.

I had a blood test on Saturday and I will see what shows up. I’m not willing to accept this as the new normal.