+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 12 week old refusing bottle - desperate

Please please someone help, I’m sitting here bawling - my 12 week old won’t take a bottle (expressed breast milk) and I have to go back to work in 2 weeks, there’s no option.

Has taken them occasionally in the past no problem, but it’s been a couple of weeks and now just chews on it/spits out milk/tongue thrusts/laughs thinking its a game. Just will not latch on.

We’ve tried Tommee Tippee closer to nature and variable flow, pigeon wide neck, nuk, standard avent and avent natural (standard is what she took in the past but gave terrible wind pain and still won’t take it now).

Tried warm, room temp, fresh, frozen, warming the teats, starting to breastfeed then switching in the bottle (latched a couple of seconds then realised and spat it out), rubbing teat on breast, me leaving the house, grandma, husband, bouncy chair, distraction, hungry, not hungry, nipple shield to get her used to the silicone feeling in her mouth, major feed, minor feed, she won’t even take it as a dream feed. I’m at my wits end. I’ve heard people say they just stopped offering the breast, but she’s not even 3 months old, I can’t just let her go indefinitely without eating, what if we get to 10+ hours, she’d be getting dehydrated and so upset she’d be even less likely to take it.

We can get some down her with a syringe, but her caretakers can’t be giving 3mls at a time for 60ml odd feeds every 4 or less hours (current estimated intake) - it would take them all day.

Seriously someone please share your tips, I’ve never felt so helpless and desperate. And please don’t say your kid never took one and you had to give up work - it’s simply not an option (and please spare me any judgement for I don’t know, not just quitting anyway for her sake - I have to work for her sake!) Going home to feed is also not an option. Help!!! Someone must have a situation like this where they found a solution!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi hun have you tried the medela bottles?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to shellzand For This Useful Post:

Bink (18-02-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm so sorry you're going through this, it can be so stressful.

My bub was hit and miss with bottles, after trying a fair few we ended up with the Dr Brown bottles (blue ones) and these work well for him.

Are you feeding bub in a calm and quiet space free of distractions?

Do you possibly need to change the teat you have? (DS started getting frustrated with bottles for me and it ended up being the flow wasn't as fast as when I breastfed him so I went up to the next age teat)

As hard as it is, if you are stressed baby will be stressed. If the bottle isn't working maybe don't force it let bub do something else and re try when everyone is calm you don't want to create a negative connection with bottles.

I found when I tried to give him a bottle in the same spot I used to BF he would refuse more and go for my chest because of the association.

Maybe even try offer the bottle when she's sleepy -DS is a way better drinker when he's half asleep.

I know it's easier said than done but I found the more I stressed and try to force him to take bottles the more he pushed back.

It will get easier, just be patient, it may take her a while to work up to drinking a whole bottle.

Hang in there!! Even a thought could she be teething? (As you said she is chewing on the bottle)

Don't give up! Maybe stick with a plan of action for a few days so it's consistent, all the different variations might even be confusing her, she's still quite young.

Xx

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Loh4 For This Useful Post:

Bink (18-02-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh I feel your pain. My DD was 7-1/2 months when I went back to work and refused a bottle.

I gave up in the end which probably doesn’t help you and had my partner bring her in for feeds or I went to daycare. Not ideal but I was the same and had to work.

How close will you be to her during the day - would this be an option?

Are you using frozen ebm? I’ve heard that’s some people’s milk doesn’t freeze well but I don’t know much about it.

It is so stressful.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Amber4304 For This Useful Post:

Bink (18-02-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi im sorry i dont have a lot of advice or personal experience but just wondering when yoi got DH and grandma to try, were you still in the room? My friend said her baby would only take the bottle when she wasnt around coz bubba can still smell your milk and they are clever and know when the booby option is available. She said if she actually left and went outside, then after a while bubba would drink from a bottle because they knew that was the only option. I called the austrlain Breasfeeding Assosciation helpline about a few things and they are lovely, run by real mum volunteers. Maybe give them a call because theyve probably heard it all and might have a few ideas you might not have tried yet. I feel for you and am wishing you all the best. xx

9. The Following User Says Thank You to gorgeousgeorge For This Useful Post:

Bink (18-02-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Pigeon narrow neck were reconmended by a LC to us, meant to mimic the breast. Worked well ☺

Fresh EBM will be your best bet.

Good luck!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to JustJaq For This Useful Post:

Bink (18-02-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I feel your pain!! My DD refused the bottle when I returned to work but was on solids at that point so not such a big deal. I agree contact breastfeeding association for some some advice or see if there are any lactation consultants at your baby health clinic.

Some ideas that may or may not help:
    - try cheap bottles from Coles/ woolworths
    - try the bottle at every feed before offering breast
    - try some cool boiled water in the bottle
    - try formula (different taste) you can always switch back to ebm once baby gets used to taking bottle
    - try a faster flow teat

Good luck but I’m sure it will eventually work out

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bloom Bloom For This Useful Post:

Bink (18-02-2019),gorgeousgeorge (15-02-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes i secong trying the cheap bottles. I spent a fortune on Minbie which mimics the breast...blah blahh. .DD wouldnt touch them but she was happy to use Avent brand.
    Last edited by gorgeousgeorge; 15-02-2019 at 19:52.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to gorgeousgeorge For This Useful Post:

Bink (18-02-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I’ve only used the Kmart brand of bottles. I know you’ve tried a few already but I recommend starting cheap and working your way up.

I’d also recommend formula for a different taste. You can still breastfeed as well.

Also medium or fast flow. I used medela teets or the ones that come with Kmart bottles.

Good luck

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Yogis Mumma For This Useful Post:

Bink (18-02-2019)