+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DesperatelySeekingSleep View Post
    She is in and out of hospital still. She's still in denial about having an eating disorder.

Today I received an asd assessment update in the mail. It's the first part of assessment for asd. All criteria but 1 was met. Overall it looks like she meets criteria to get diagnosed. Not sure how I feel about it now though. On one hand she gets more help but on the other I wonder if the diagnosis will make things harder long term.
    Massive hugs

Just want to give you some support regarding the possible ASD diagnosis. It may be more of a positive thing that you first imagine. Whilst it's confronting, having that diagnosis will help her better understand herself - she will have some answers as to why some things are difficult for her. It will also open up the doors in terms of getting her the therapy and support that she needs.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

DesperatelySeekingSleep (19-06-2019),LoveMyWay (19-06-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks.

I'm not 100% convinced it is that. I'm definitely feeling like it's anxiety related though. There was repeated mention of oppositional behaviour, ocd behaviour and social anxiety. Ok yeah maybe it could be. I don't know. I see my nephew who is definitely on the spectrum and it's quite obvious and then I look at my dd and while there are a couple traits they share they are still quite different.

I've always said my dd has issues that go beyond typical age related behaviour but as I'm learning more about eating disorders I'm learning more about anxiety and other co-morbidities that can go with it. Although maybe it's just the closer to diagnosis we get, the more nervous and in denial I'm getting.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DesperatelySeekingSleep For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats (19-06-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Thanks.

I'm not 100% convinced it is that. I'm definitely feeling like it's anxiety related though. There was repeated mention of oppositional behaviour, ocd behaviour and social anxiety. Ok yeah maybe it could be. I don't know. I see my nephew who is definitely on the spectrum and it's quite obvious and then I look at my dd and while there are a couple traits they share they are still quite different.

I've always said my dd has issues that go beyond typical age related behaviour but as I'm learning more about eating disorders I'm learning more about anxiety and other co-morbidities that can go with it. Although maybe it's just the closer to diagnosis we get, the more nervous and in denial I'm getting.
    Girls on the spectrum often go through life undiagnosed or get diagnosed much later as they present differently behaviour-wise. Girls can be much better at 'masking' their autistic traits too.

You are doing the right thing by exploring the possibility. I have a friend that I went through high school with who was diagnosed later in life (late 20's) and she sorely wishes she got diagnosed when she was a child. It is an important part of her identity.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats (20-06-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks.

I hope you don't mind me mentioning this but I saw something on a page I follow on FB and thought of your reply straight away. It was about ASD and eating disorders masking it. It was on the I CAN Network page if you are interested. Was a very eye opening read and I think it will really help xoxoxo I wish you and your daughter all the best, I can't imagine what you have all been through

8. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveMyWay For This Useful Post:

DesperatelySeekingSleep (20-06-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveMyWay View Post
    I hope you don't mind me mentioning this but I saw something on a page I follow on FB and thought of your reply straight away. It was about ASD and eating disorders masking it. It was on the I CAN Network page if you are interested. Was a very eye opening read and I think it will really help xoxoxo I wish you and your daughter all the best, I can't imagine what you have all been through
    I will check it out. I know eating disorders and asd can quite often be interlinked. Thanks

Eta: just checked it out. It's very relevant and my daughter definitely has an eating disorder not just avoiding specific foods because of textures although she has never liked specific textures anyway etc but yes her eating disorder did come about through obsessions. Trying to be healthy and being obsessed with being healthy and following rules very strictly with rigidity and unable to break from them.
    Last edited by DesperatelySeekingSleep; 20-06-2019 at 12:24.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DesperatelySeekingSleep For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats (20-06-2019)