+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Single parenting payment eligibility?

Hey everyone,
    Let me give you a run down of my situation and hopefully you can give me your thoughts, no judgment please because I really don’t know what to do.
    So my partner and I are currently living together with our two kids and I’m only getting a little rent assistance and FTB. However, he is being relocated to the mines (over hr away) to finish his apprenticeship and will be living in a share house paying his own rent and bills there. We don’t know how long he will be there. The kids and I will be going to live with my parents and paying board and helping with their bills, getting our own food etc. we can’t move because the kids just got into a good cheap preschool and my DS has behaviour issues and possibly a learning disability. So we both have our own address and bills.
    We still love each other and he will come visit on most of his days off. He’s willing to pay child support, but I just put it into savings. But here’s where it gets tricky... he has a daughter from a previous relationship who’s 8yrsold, with very nasty mother. We have her every 2nd weekend. So she would have to spend one night at my partners parents house and then one night at my parents, which is all good, until she goes home and tells her mother that daddy stays at my place, then the mother dobs me into Centrelink (If she hasn’t already after seeing on the child support statement that he is paying me and her payment went down a little).
    So if that does happen, is it even illegal in the first place? Like we’re not defacto if we don’t live together?
    Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I didn’t think single parenting payment would be applicable to this situation as you’re not actually separated - just living apart? I understand it being more expensive having two sets of bills, two lots of groceries etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Nope, you are not a single parent, therefore not entitled to SPP. You are still together, even if not living at the same address, to claim SPP would be illegal. My husband worked interstate months at a time, was only home 2 days at a time, paying his own rent and expenses where he worked plus we had our ownrent and expenses at home and we were still classed as in a relationship in the eyes of centerlink so was not eligible for SPP.

A friend of mine was in a similar situation and was claiming SPP and got into HUGE trouble when they found out her and her partner were still together just not living together.

My MIL claimed SPP when she was in a relationship and ended up in jail for it.

It's hard having 2 lots of bills etc but the consequences for lying to centerlink could be much worse.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SheWarrior For This Useful Post:

Jurodice (12-02-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Your best option is to speak directly to Centrelink and be upfront with your situation. They will be able to tell you what you are/aren't entitled to and what circumstances will change that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds challenging but not grounds to claim SPP I'm afraid. I agree talk to Human Services there might be some kind of support when your partner is away as he is on an apprenticeship - I'm not sure.

Thanks
    Reviews
    SPP is for single parents and therefore the answer is you’re not eligible. You’re in a partnership and will I assume still share finances between the two of you. There is another person financially supporting you. Leave the payment for true single parents.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to theworkingmum For This Useful Post:

Loz3119 (14-02-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone. He’s on the minimum wage as an apprentice and definitely can’t support us if we live separately with 2x the rent and bills. We barely get by as it is. Looks like the only option to quit his dream job and hope he finds somewhere to continue the apprenticeship. Not fair at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nipperyslipple View Post
    Thanks everyone. He’s on the minimum wage as an apprentice and definitely can’t support us if we live separately with 2x the rent and bills. We barely get by as it is. Looks like the only option to quit his dream job and hope he finds somewhere to continue the apprenticeship. Not fair at all.
    Unfortunately that is life, it’s also pretty unfair to lie to Centrelink and expect other taxpayers to support you. Lots of people are struggling to make ends meet and they aren’t trying to fraudulently claim government assistance.

Surely you could ask your family for a bit of help with reduced rent and bills for a while. Otherwise he may need to find a job closer to home.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mum-I-Am For This Useful Post:

LoveMyWay (12-02-2019),Loz3119 (14-02-2019),Mashie (12-02-2019),Simyt (12-02-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nipperyslipple View Post
    Unfortunately that's the way life is sometimes. Hubby completed his traineeship when we had 2 young children plus an extra 3 in our care full time- so 5 kids. Granted he didn't have to work away though. We managed, he was on barely $700 a fortnight at that stage (a few years ago now). Once he completed his traineeship, we packed up and moved so he could find better employment opportunities. He loved where he was working, but we knew it wasn't feasible to support our family. Your partner may not be able to have his dream job yet, but that's not to say it will never happen.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to SheWarrior For This Useful Post:

Mum-I-Am (12-02-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Single parenting payment eligibility?

Looking at this from another perspective there are some great positives to your situation.
    - your partner has a great opportunity for training and if he stays on at the mines after his training he should be on good money
    - you have parents who are willing to help out
    - if you’re living with your parents this is greater opportunity for you to get some work, maybe some shift work or late night work that pays well and if your kids are sleep then your parents won’t be put out too much by babysitting (unless they are party animals!).
    - this will only be a temporary thing.
    - your kids just got into a good preschool.

As a side note, is commuting not an option? I was commuting ~4.5 hrs per day at once stage and I won’t lie. I sucked, but was doable as a short term thing.
    Last edited by babyno1onboard; 12-02-2019 at 11:04.

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

BornToBe (12-02-2019),LoveMyWay (12-02-2019),Mod-LIKE A BOSS (12-02-2019),Mod-Wise Enough (12-02-2019),Mum-I-Am (12-02-2019),SheWarrior (12-02-2019)