+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    @Calstar

It’s a sterile area but having said that I was allowed to briefly touch Ds2 & dd when the drape was dropped but not allowed to touch my OB obviously. Both babies quickly taken checked over cord cut weighed wrapped & given to me at 5 mins. No makeup for me or nail polish. I’ve seen pictures where some mums going in all glammed up. Both times they came to recovery with me but in the bassinet. I was allowed to FaceTime my sister overseas albeit it was 430am for her. Then up to my room in seperate elevators as an incase that was not quite 2 hours since birth.

IMG_2099.JPG

Ds2 all pouty and silent but now a noisy little bugger

IMG_2100.jpg

Dd was screaming and now is a silent baby who doesn’t whinge unless I let her

2. The Following User Says Thank You to babybeeno1 For This Useful Post:

Mod-Uniquey (11-02-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just wanted to pop in and say a nurse friend told me, when i aaked why no makeup or nail polish for surgery, that it was because its one of the first ways they check/monitor your vital signs, eg if you loose colour or go pale or blue lips etc they cant tell if you've got foundtion and lippy on and they press on your nails to make them go white then check they go back to pink quickly. Obviously they also have all.the fancy pants equipment but she said staff will often notice your appearance changing more quickly and easily, which makes sense to me. Im surprised they didnt let her hold the baby. I had a caesar and was allowed ro hold her about a minute after she was born, straight after they suctioned her airways and checked she was breathing ok. They let me hold her for as long as I could, then took her with dad for the apgar stuff.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    my friend has a cs and had a full face on.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

gorgeousgeorge (11-02-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    my friend has a cs and had a full face on.
    Its so weird how all different drs and hospitals have all different rules, hey?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gorgeousgeorge View Post
    hers was emergency but she went into labour that morning so must’ve put her face on either right before labour started, or as it was starting. she’s the kind who’s never seen without her face on though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Operation Live

Here’s my take on it...

I watched it today. I found it a pretty accurate representation of what happens in an elective caesarean.

If it was indeed filmed “live” then I can understand why some things were deviated from what others might perceive as normal. Being after hours it wouldn’t be an issue for the family to come into recovery as there was unlikely to be anyone else in there. We will occasionally let extended family into recovery after hours, but obviously depends on whether there are any other people in recovery.

A spinal anaesthetic can be inserted lying down or sitting up. It could be anaesthetist preference. We have 1-2 who prefer to insert it lying down. They may also have chosen to do it that way to stop exposing the patients backside to the nation. Either way, it’s pretty normal.

There was a bit of a delay on actually starting the caesarean, but I’m guessing that’s because of the whole TV thing. They would have also had to put in a urinary catheter and swab out the vaginal canal - stuff that they wouldn’t show on tv to respect the patients privacy. A listen in to baby’s heartbeat post anaesthetic as well (might expose her a bit too much). Then there’s setting up the diathermy, positioning with wedges, gel things under her heels to position her legs. Plus it’s not like there was any rush to get baby out. But what they were showing was quite typical for what happens in an operating theatre. They could also have been waiting for a member of the team to arrive before starting the operation. ie the midwife or the paediatrician may not have been in OT. But most likely it was due to the tv aspect. I would imagine they’d all be aware of this given its what they signed up for. Unless there was an emergency situation, they would be working with the tv producers for the actual timing.

I found it quite fascinating watching the obstetrician excise the old scar tissue. I’m not usually paying attention to what’s happening at that point as I’m usually scrubbing/getting myself organised/chatting to the paediatrician about the labour/risk factors etc. Plus I don’t like watching that initial incision. It makes me squeamish haha. If there was a lot of internal scar tissue from her previous caesarean, that would explain why it took a little while to get to baby. In saying that, I didn’t feel like it took that long at all.

They didn’t let mum touch bub because of the sterile field. Yes, the obstetrician brought baby forward for a kiss, but had mum accidentally grazed the obstetricians glove/gown etc then the operation would have to stop and the doctor would have to re scrub. Not ideal when you have an open uterus and abdomen, especially when on tv haha.

They probably didn’t show the suturing because a) most people are interested in the baby and b) it would be a lot more difficult to actually see anything. It also might be considered too “gory” for the show ratings.

All in all I thought it was well done. Mel was a little annoying, but I guess she was just doing her job narrating the procedure and asking the questions that people want to know. To anyone wanting to hear what the medical personnel are saying, I can almost guarantee it wasn’t that interesting haha. Being a private obstetrician, it’s something he could probably do with his eyes closed, so is unlikely to be doing any commentary of what he’s doing. It would mostly be asking for different implements to use which, if the theatre staff used do caesarean all the time, are probably preempted anyway. If it was a caesarean done in a public teaching hospital, you’d get way more out of it from that aspect as there is always discussion about what is happening, why you’re doing something that way, what complications may arise etc etc. There’s a lot more rationale explanations going on.
    Last edited by MLadyEm; 11-02-2019 at 20:11.

9. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MLadyEm For This Useful Post:

Californication (11-02-2019),EClaire86 (11-02-2019),gorgeousgeorge (11-02-2019),Mod-DJ Nette (11-02-2019),Mod-LIKE A BOSS (11-02-2019),Mod-Uniquey (11-02-2019),Mum-I-Am (11-02-2019),SheWarrior (11-02-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Good review @MLadyEm. If y staples were anything to go by, it would be pretty gross to see the suturing! I’m kinda glad they show these thing even if I don’t want to watch. After I had DS by emergency, one of my friends was adamant they remove your bladder and put it on your leg for surgery. I may have mentioned it here before and while I’ve not googled, I’m pretty sure she is wrong as I would have thought removing someones bladder is a pretty extreme thing! She was convinced that is why women who have had babies had bladder issues. She’s never had kids so has no idea

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

JustJaq (12-02-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh dear me very unlikely they would remove your bladder for surgery. I wonder where people get these ideas from haha

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MLadyEm For This Useful Post:

babybeeno1 (11-02-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MLadyEm View Post
    Oh dear me very unlikely they would remove your bladder for surgery. I wonder where people get these ideas from haha
    I reckon part of it is not having a basic understanding of anatomy. Though having said that, I didn’t realize they had to cut through 7 layers either! I just thought it would be skin, fat, muscle and uterus. What are the others??

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

MLadyEm (11-02-2019),Mod-Uniquey (11-02-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Operation Live

Quote Originally Posted by gorgeousgeorge View Post
    Yep, I was given strict instructions no nail polish, no make-up, perfume and not to shave myself, the pre-op nurse would be doing the shaving.

Interestingly enough though, I always see c/s pics where the Mum’s wearing a surgical cap, yet I was never given one for mine, my hair was as is/not covered.