+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Operation Live

Did anyone watch this last night? I’m only catching up now, haven’t watched it in it’s entirety yet.

So interesting and emotional to watch something we don’t normally get to witness, and in particular a caesarean birth. A lot of women have a c/s, but to be privvy to intricacies of the actual operation etc, wow!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Uniquey View Post
    Did anyone watch this last night? I’m only catching up now, haven’t watched it in it’s entirety yet.

So interesting and emotional to watch something we don’t normally get to witness, and in particular a caesarean birth. A lot of women have a c/s, but to be privvy to intricacies of the actual operation etc, wow!
    I watched. It was amazing to see the way it’s done and baby come out. Our bodies are incredible.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to granny1 For This Useful Post:

Mod-Uniquey (11-02-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What channel was it? I will try and see it on catch up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yep I watched it. I was originally quite sceptical about it, I was worried they would gloss over the fact it's major surgery, comes with risks etc and make it "TV friendly" rather than show what happens in reality. But I actually think they did quite well! While they didn't discuss risks as such, they did state multiple times that it's major surgery, that things can and do go wrong and showed the true emotion of the woman while she was going through it (the nervousness, feeling sick etc). I also like the fact they explained what was going on, like how they explained they had to cut through 7 layers to reach the baby etc. The commentary annoyed me a bit, especially Mel because I wanted to hear what the medical team was saying but overall I was really surprised. I know a lot of people don't feel the same and I know it can be really triggering and that's absolutely understandable. But personally I think it was done quite well (albeit not exactly live as stated). It's not the first cesarean I have seen but it was great to see the whole process from prep to recovery. As someone who is considering having a cesarean it definitely helped ease some fears, but was also an excellent reminder that it is full on, it is major surgery. Hopefully it put a lot of assumptions of it being the "easy" way to rest.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SheWarrior For This Useful Post:

Mod-Uniquey (11-02-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-DJ Nette View Post
    What channel was it? I will try and see it on catch up.
    Channel 7

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Operation Live

I agree with you @SheWarrior about the commentary from Mel, I wanted to hear what the medical team were saying.

I think (I hope) it debunks some of the notions out there that a c/s is a walk in the park, and by that I’m not saying it can’t be a positive experience, but the fact that it is a serious and major operation with that comes risks and other things to consider both during and after.

As an aside... I was very surprised that the Mum was allowed to have a full face of make-up on?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

EClaire86 (11-02-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Mel drove me insane!

I did enjoy it overall, but I wanted to hear the medical team, as they did everything, rather than Mel’s blurb.

I also wish they’d shown more of the actual surgery.
    Before the birth it was quite zoomed out, so you couldn’t see exactly. And after the birth, they only focused on the baby. I would’ve liked to have seen what went into doing the stitches etc.

I did feel very sad for the mum, when she reached out to touch her son, and was told she couldn’t touch him, but she could give him a quick kiss as they leant him toward her.
    Can anyone shed some light as to why she was refused the ability to touch her own son??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Calstar View Post
    Can anyone shed some light as to why she was refused the ability to touch her own son??
    I haven’t watched it, but for both my sections, they showed us the baby, took it for the AGPAR checks etc, wrapped them (because it’s cold in theatre) and then put them on my chest. Bub stayed there until we got to recovery, then DH had a hold I think, we unwrapped and had skin to skin for hours.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Uniquey View Post
    I agree with you @SheWarrior about the commentary from Mel, I wanted to hear what the medical team were saying.

I think (I hope) it debunks some of the notions out there that a c/s is a walk in the park, and by that I’m not saying it can’t be a positive experience, but the fact that it is a serious and major operation with that comes risks and other things to consider both during and after.

As an aside... I was very surprised that the Mum was allowed to have a full face of make-up on?
    I wasn't overly surprised about the make up but I was surprised when I noticed she had fake nails (or at least nail polish) as I didn't think it was allowed/recommended.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Calstar View Post
    Mel drove me insane!

I did enjoy it overall, but I wanted to hear the medical team, as they did everything, rather than Mel’s blurb.

I also wish they’d shown more of the actual surgery.
    Before the birth it was quite zoomed out, so you couldn’t see exactly. And after the birth, they only focused on the baby. I would’ve liked to have seen what went into doing the stitches etc.

I did feel very sad for the mum, when she reached out to touch her son, and was told she couldn’t touch him, but she could give him a quick kiss as they leant him toward her.
    I think because it's a sterile field on the business end of the drape so her hands and arms wouldn't have been sterile going into that area (if that makes sense). I've seen maternal assisted cesareans and their hands and arms are scrubbed up much the same as their belly to ensure they are sterile.

I also know women who have had immediate skin to skin and delayed cord clamping with cesareans (not so much in emergency situations obviously, but planned like this one was). All bubs checks like the APGAR was done while bub had skin to skin. I guess it comes down to if the mother requests it and the circumstances (if mum feels OK and it's safe for baby).