+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Preppies making friends

Hi,

I'm perhaps a bit overly worried about my son. He started school this year and has had a week and a half of prep so far. When he was in ELC at his previous school he had many friends and one best friend. However, since starting at his new school he told me he hasn't made any friends and that he is playing alone at lunch. How long do preppies usually take to work themselves out and make friends? Am I being overly anxious?

Tonight when he went to bed he said that in the Paddington 2 movie Jail looked like a nice place because Paddington made lots of friends. It made me a bit worried that he's anxious at school.

Would really appreciate some advice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I would give it longer. It’s extremely early days. My DS took aaaages to make good friends, like a couple of years! But he’s now in year 6 and has a few best friends, like really close friends that he will be going to high school with etc.
    My DD is a bit more outgoing so she was a bit quicker to form friendships, but has had to start all over at a new school this year (grade 2).
    Preppies have a lot to adjust to starting school and it can take a while to settle in and make friends.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Have you spoken to the teacher? My preppie has been coming home telling me school is boring and she isn’t doing anything, when I ask a few more questions she realizes that this isn’t true. Is it possible he is playing with other kids but remembering it differently?

In any case it is very early days, it’s a big change and lots of things to work out.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-DJ Nette For This Useful Post:

Starfish30 (18-02-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DD’s school has kindy (preschool) and reception (prep) in together. It took her a good 2 months + to make friends in kindy. Even then, there was another 4-6 months of dropping to the ground in a ball if they said hello to her in the morning.

In reception (prep) she still had the one main friend from the previous year, but she also made a coupe of new friends. That easily took 6 months.

It’s VERY early. Give him time.

I agree with speaking to the teacher as well. What kids tell you is often one very small pet of what’s going on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I agree with the others, give it time and speak to the teacher.

My dd1 told me in prep she had no friends and played alone. When I went and spoke to the teacher, she was shocked and informed me that kids were literally fighting over who got to play with her, everyone wanted to be her friend but it was *her* that was isolating herself from everyone. Slowly she started becoming more social, and now is friends with almost everyone, with a couple of super close friends. My other girls have always just flitted between everyone, no best friends as such until they were a little bit older (year 1 or 2). I've found it can take them a little while to find their place.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SheWarrior For This Useful Post:

Rueblade (10-02-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks for the replies everyone I guess I'm just a bit too anxious for him. Haha, I will give him some more time. I've sent a message to the teacher and will have a chat to her tomorrow to see what's going on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    How's he going now? I understand the anxiety thing well. I find it really hard not to be anxious about my kids esp at school! I hope he's finding his way but give it time, it took most of last year for my daughter to find friends and even so she is a bit of a drifter.

Thanks
    Reviews
    He’s going better now I think. He did at one point ask if his best friend from kinder is making a lot of friends at his school (different one) and he is not..... but yesterday he came home and said another boy in his class took him to the canteen and shared some sweets they bought together. So hopefully he’s staring to settle in a bit.