+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Pre packaged fruit/vegetables ??

Hi guys

I am currently in the 2ww, and have some questions on Listeria I'm hoping someone can help with?

The document i have says not to eat pre-packaged vegetables and fruit.. This might be a silly question but would that mean i have to stop eating the below foods?

Pre-packaged and washed baby spinach.
    Pre-packaged apples from Woolies (I don't know why this would make any difference than buying loose apples?).

It also says not to eat pre-cooked cold chicken. Does this mean i cant boil up my chicken for my salads the night before and keep refrigerated for use that week?

is Feta Cheese classed as a soft or hard cheese?

I really need to come up with some better salad ideas for work if I'm not able to eat the things listed above!

Thanks x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    pre packed salads are ok if washed thoroughly and (my preference) cooked. heat kills listeria so any of the “banned” foods are ok so long as they are cooked/heated past 65C. i’ve heard people eating pre packed salads etc but washing thoroughly first. personally i’m too paranoid and wouldn’t do that but that’s a decision you need to make for yourself.

all the usual deli meats, soft cheeses, pre cut fruit/veg (that you consume uncooked) are a no go.

i wouldn’t go near hot takeaway chicken as you don’t know how old it is etc.

i’m fairly cautious. again, this is all stuff you need to decide for yourself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I basically skipped having salad for most of my pregnancy because I couldn't store it and know it was safe :/ I made a couple of fresh salads using the bagged lettuce/spinach and just washed them well, even though they say they are washed. People have gotten listeria from them before. I didn't worry so much about other fruit and veges though, esp leftover veges as they'd get nuked in the microwave

No idea on feta since I don't eat it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    fetta is a no... same as brie, camembert, haloumi, blue vein, goats cheese etc.
    Hard cheeses like Tasty, cheddar, parmesan are fine.
    if you have chicken, eat it while its hot and make sure you refrigerate it asap and consume within 1 day. I have been making chicken & veg packs and just microwaving them for meals, that way I get my proteins and veg & it's hot.
    it's hard sometimes, when I feel like rat **** and need to eat something quickly the last thing I feel like doing it standing in the kitchen prepping and cooking. toasted sandwiches have been my saviour, and I'll make my own fruit salads and have them ready to go in the fridge. I wouldn't stress too much, you'll figure it out and be fine

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    haloumi is fine as it’s cooked. i’ve never heard of anyone eating it uncooked so provided you grill/fry it first, it’s fine

6. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

JustJaq (05-02-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    haloumi is fine as it’s cooked. i’ve never heard of anyone eating it uncooked so provided you grill/fry it first, it’s fine
    yeah I was told not to eat it but whatever. everyone's different.

Thanks
    Reviews

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

babybeeno1 (05-02-2019),MUG81 (05-02-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    LOL you actually went to all that effort to try and prove someones comment invalid... wow.
    I was still told not to eat it, so thanks, but no thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LeahMag3 View Post
    LOL you actually went to all that effort to try and prove someones comment invalid... wow.
    I was still told not to eat it, so thanks, but no thanks.
    ummmm excuse me?

eat what you like, i don’t care. i’m merely posting to clarify on facts versus fiction. if you were advised against haloumi on the basis that it’s unsafe during pregnancy, then that advice is incorrect. if it’s your choice to abstain from it while pregnant, that’s your call.

if hardly call uploading a screen shot “all that effort”

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

Calstar (05-02-2019),Meld85 (06-02-2019),MLadyEm (05-02-2019),RubyT78 (12-09-2019),SJ565 (05-02-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    ummmm excuse me?

eat what you like, i don’t care. i’m merely posting to clarify on facts versus fiction. if you were advised against haloumi on the basis that it’s unsafe during pregnancy, then that advice is incorrect. if it’s your choice to abstain from it while pregnant, that’s your call.

if hardly call uploading a screen shot “all that effort”
    There are alot of Do' and don'ts, right and wrongs, "fact vs fictions" when it comes to each individual and their pregnancy/diet/health.
    Perhaps next time you should ask someone why they have been told not to eat it instead of saying someone is incorrect. You might learn something