+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Suspected ASD and day care

Hi,
    So having previously discussed dd issues with her lack in social behaviour plus speech delay and problems with motor skills and lastly not able understand things. While I have got EPI referral letter for speech pathologist. That's was the progress, will be trying for private paeds soon so cut long story short our nurse thinks dd doesn't seem like asd rather try day care and see hoe she would socialize etc. So hubby said we should put her long day care. I went checked some day care children of her age looked so advance and some were rough, so I said to them I want to see younger age group which has children aged 3yr and 2.5 they looked alright but I'm still worried because mentally she is very innocent , I'm just tensed will it affect her negatively (as she is literally clinched to me all the time and follows wherever I go even to toilet) Don't know what to do, would it be too overwhelming for emotionally and put in a chall8from all aspect social interaction, communication n motor skills etc. Or should I go for toddler room? Or leave the idea completely (of day care thing)
    Tia

Thanks
    Reviews
    How old is she? When I was in childcare we had a couple of autistic/asp kids in one of my rooms. One had an additional carer that came in because he'd been officially diagnosed while another with less symptoms did not. It was always in the back of our minds to be inclusive of them, as they had a tendency to avoid some of the other kids. They were happier to interact purely with carers but they still got the social interaction with others their age. No negative interactions that I can remember. The others seemed to understand to give them a little space which is no different to how they treated a kid that is just a little shy.
    The main issue with speech delays were that some kids became biters but this isn't necessarily an autistic trait.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jurodice View Post
    How old is she? When I was in childcare we had a couple of autistic/asp kids in one of my rooms. One had an additional carer that came in because he'd been officially diagnosed while another with less symptoms did not. It was always in the back of our minds to be inclusive of them, as they had a tendency to avoid some of the other kids. They were happier to interact purely with carers but they still got the social interaction with others their age. No negative interactions that I can remember. The others seemed to understand to give them a little space which is no different to how they treated a kid that is just a little shy.
    The main issue with speech delays were that some kids became biters but this isn't necessarily an autistic trait.
    Read on your other thread that your child is 3. The room I was in with these two was for 3-4 yrs in kindy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My 4.5yo has Aspergers. He will be going to preschool in a daycare centre this year as he is severely lacking in social skills. We really should have done it sooner but there were no daycares within a few hours of our house (we recently moved) and I think that it would have been beneficial for him to go sooner. Kids need to be brought out of their comfort zone and so long as it’s a good Centre with good workers, they’ll encourage it gently and encourage the inclusiveness. The alternative is waiting until they get to school and are just thrown in the deep end.

White Mage is online now Today has been cancelled, go back to bed.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Both my boys were different in their kinder years.

Ds1 was only diagnosed with Asd at this point. And had speech issues at this point. He was in a daycare based kinder, he would mainly play and not do anything real complex. And was kind of stuck. It was when our key worker at early intervention suggested we repeat and put him in a proper kinder.
    We enrolled him into a very respected kindergarten and the staff was very prepared for him.
    Over that year his speech developed properly, he could count to 20 and could write his names. Which were very foreign concepts for us at the time. He was later that year diagnosed with ADHD and was put on meds half way through the year. Combination of everything panning out he ended up in mainstream school.

With Ds2 (ASD GDD and Non verbal and not toilet trained) He went straight to the same kinder. And in between his kinder he was going to an early intervention centre kinder at an special developmental school (which is now is his school)
    Being how severe his autism is it was maintained that repeating would not benefit him and getting him straight into the sds was going to be best and it mean full school years of funding.