+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Where to seek help for ASD

Hi, I am a new member here. I have been looking for groups or any forum with parents with similar issues like mine. So basically the problem that's bothering me for a very long time is my dd who is 3 has speech delay doesn't even say mum and dad but recently have started saying colour names, likes counting. I have also noticed that she is not able to understand even simple instructions. Lastly doesn't seem to interact with other children ,most of the time likes to spend time on phone listening nursery rhymes. I mentioned all these to my gp, he made a referral to paeds(letter mentioned she has speech delay) in September, we were told we are on waiting list . I called them recently they said you might have to wait for 3 more months, it's so distressing to see your child struggling, I have literally been crying every day hoping she is all fine or is it ASD? Sorry for long post can anyone tell me should I see another gp and make a new referral or go for private paeds or rather try psychiatrist referral? Can anyone guide what to do . And how long did you guys took paeds appointment.
    Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I’d think a referral to see a speech pathologist would be beneficial

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Calstar For This Useful Post:

White Mage (03-02-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I’d get into a speechie in the mean time while you’re on the waiting list. Unfortunately, these things can take a while

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ahalfdozen For This Useful Post:

White Mage (03-02-2019)

White Mage is online now Today has been cancelled, go back to bed.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    As it has been said. Speech therapy sounds like the next course of action.
    Maybe look or enquire into some early intervention which a gp. Mchn or paed can refer you for as well.
    In everything though there are waiting lists.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I would try and see a private paediatrician - wait time is likely to be less.

In the meantime get the ball rolling on speech therapy. It will be beneficial to have a speech therapist get to know your DD and do a formal language assessment before you pursue a diagnosis.

My DS was diagnosed at 3 years 9 months and he has come along in leaps and bounds since (he’s just turned 8). I’m very grateful he was diagnosed as it allowed us to access all the necessary therapies, funded by the NDIS.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

White Mage (04-02-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Both my children are diagnosed ASD - we went with a private paed because early intervention is important and the wait times were just too long.

I would put your DD on the community health waitlist for speech... but depending on how you feel may be worth getting a private assessment and some tips to get started... if your child is diagnosed ASD, you can't access community health because she will qualify for NDIS.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you. I think you are right, have been waiting for 5 months already but the mental stress is too much for me. I should opt for private paeds at least it would ease off some stress, when I will have the diagnosis. I feel like precious time being wasted ,as I know earlier the interventions begin the better it is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks, gonna see the private paeds soon.

White Mage is online now Today has been cancelled, go back to bed.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Arriety View Post
    Thanks, gonna see the private paeds soon.
    Good luck to you.