Cmv

+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Cmv

This is my first post, so I'm not sure if I'm doing this right, but I'm desperate for some support and reassurance.

I'm 36 weeks pregnant and after having some bloods done when I had a migraine (symptoms are similar to preeclampsia), I've been told I have acute CMV. I have had no symotoms whatsoever. My husband and I had never heard about it before. It's really distressing as nobody seems to be able to tell us much. As far as we were aware, we had a very healthy baby and now we just don't know...

It seems to be that the risk is higher if I contracted the virus during the earlier stages of pregnancy, so the hospital is running tests on old bloods to see if they can figure it out. We may not know for some time. We have a follow up appointment in a week, so we're hoping to know more then, but have been told that we really won't know the full extent of it until our daughter is 5 or 6 years old!

I've done some research and the more I read, the more angry I feel that I was not told about this risk. I am a first time mum, but my husband works in disability (with kids mostly) and my best mates have toddlers. I've babysat and inadvertantly shared germs. The risk is much higher if we'd had a toddler, but here I am with it anyway.

Anyway, I'm reaching out to the universe looking for some support. We don't feel we can speak with our families yet. My husband's brother has cerebral palsy, amongst other severe disabilities, and his family (especially his mum) will likely freak out. My dad is a total panicker and hypochondriac at the best of times.

I'd like to hear from anyone, but it would also be good to hear from someone who was diagnosed in later stages like me who went on to have a healthy baby without complications... I'd love a bit of hope. Is there anyone out there?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I had to google it as I've never heard of it - I can totally understand you being distressed about it.

Sounds like you'll know a lot more once they've done all their testing, so (as hard as it is) please try not to get to ahead of yourself with worry until you have more answers.

Hopefully one of our other members will be able to respond with some personal experience with CMV.

Big hugs

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

Waffle (03-02-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    @MLadyEm just thought I'd tag you in case you can help out the OP with some information.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

MLadyEm (01-02-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks @Mod-Degrassi.

OP I’m sorry but I don’t have much info about CMV in pregnancy. It’s not something I’ve actually come across (that I can remember anyway).

In regards to CMV itself it is something that plenty of us are exposed to through everyday life. You’d be surprised how many people carry it without ill effect. The trouble is, those that are likely to be affected are those who are high risk/immunocompromised. Unfortunately pregnancy is one of those groups.

I’m assuming your morphology scan was low risk? Have they booked you in for any further growth and wellbeing scans?

I’ve just had a look on the NSW health website and this is from their patient info regarding CMV
    https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/infect...pregnancy.aspx

IMG_2209.jpg

I would hope that you would be referred on to your closest tertiary hospital with a maternal fetal medicine unit so you and baby can be monitored. From what I can see on their page, they can test baby at birth to see if baby is positive for congenital CMV. So if babe is negative every thing should be ok. If it comes back positive then babe will have close monitoring and follow up to see what the go is.

I would try to stay away from Google unless you’re only going to read the proper websites. Try to stick to Australian websites that are either state health departments, National health departments or other reputable sites. Anecdotal stuff will only heighten your anxiety as people only ever share the bad stuff.

Good luck.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MLadyEm For This Useful Post:

Mod-Degrassi (01-02-2019),Waffle (03-02-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    OP im really sorry to hear. most of the research Ive done indicates more serious complications in early pregnancy rather than late. it is a virus that can lie dormant and flare up. during an active infection individuals can pass on the virus. a primary infection during pregnancy is not ideal but being 36wks i hope for you all its a very positive outcome.
    i asked my obstetrician about cmv and virus spread as i had concerns about a family member infecting myself and my sil (both of us are pregnant). he said to avoid contact and use hand hygiene if contact unavoidable.
    said family member was stating it was only transmissable by blood and no risk to others (which i knew to be untrue) and had no care or concern to others health . she ended up not coming to xmas so no risk to myself or sil

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PinkPopsicle For This Useful Post:

Waffle (03-02-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much for your quick responses! Sorry for my delay - as I said, I'm new and assumed I'd get a notification or something!

You are totally right about the Google thing. Very sensible advice. Sometimes you just need a bit of a nag to actually follow said advice!

I'm hopeful that we'll get some more answers on Thursday when we have an appointment booked with the MFM at the hospital (I'm in the public system at the Women's & Children's in Adelaide, so luckily in good hands, I think!).

I just have to believe that there's more chance than not that she'll be ok, as she is sizing up well in all her scans (and they did another scan at the hospital on Thursday). She did show what looks like some gallstones in the scan, by my radiologist friend said that can be quite normal anyway..?

Anyway, I've been considered low risk to this point and am in the Midwifery Group Practice, so happily I have an assigned midwife I can keep in the loop with. I've asked her to write a referral for some counselling and I'm going to ask her to attend the meeting on Thursday with us.

Thanks for your thoughts and kindness. It's amazing how a little support from strangers on the internet can help 😊 xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    And yes, @PinkPopsicle - I'm very much hoping it's some kind of flair up, rather than a fresh virus (still trying to understand the differences in implications, but it seems it may be the better outcome..!). It's so weird, as I've never been so healthy until this pregnancy - not even one tiny cold!!

Re your family member - how bloody infuriating!! That is terrible. Not only are they saying that stuff to you, but who knows how far they're spreading such misinformation?!

I'd encourage you all to follow CCMV Association Australia on Facebook. They seem to do a lot of lobbying about awareness (and do link up to public health advice). There may be some things you can share with your friends (including said family member) to better educate them. I will certainly be doing it myself once we know more (we're probably going to not tell our parents etc until we do, as we don't want to stress them).

Xx