+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Studying full time whilst working...

Hi all,

As the title suggests, I’ve set myself a massive goal this year. I’d love any advice from those who are studying/have studied whilst working. Our kids are 9 and 12, and it’s only at this point I feel I can manage study from a mothering point of view. It will still be crazy, but they are quite independent now. I have an amazing DH who is cheering for me, but he works full time so can’t expect him to pick up every bit of slack if I drop my bundle.

I have 2 degrees, but haven’t studied for a very long time. It feels like it may have well been in the Stone Age, that’s how out of practice I feel . My last degree was completed in 2002 - see - Stone Age. I did well back then but feel like a pile of overworked, brain-dead mush these days. So yep, I’m cr*pping myself.

Despite this, I’m very motivated as I’m ready for change, big time...as soon as possible.

Any advice/stores welcome!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did a four year degree full time while working (only three days a week)!! My kids were 2 and 4 when I started! For me preparation was key!! I meal prepped and kept on top of everything! I still try and be involved with the kids and once they started school did reading groups and canteen in all my spare time! I was/am busy but it works for us!! One thing that really saved me was my strict bed time routine 7pm every night and still continue to do this! It means I get plenty of time to get the house in order and prep for the next day and still allows me to get to bed at a decent time!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MahaMum For This Useful Post:

Loz3119 (31-01-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MahaMum View Post
    I did a four year degree full time while working (only three days a week)!! My kids were 2 and 4 when I started! For me preparation was key!! I meal prepped and kept on top of everything! I still try and be involved with the kids and once they started school did reading groups and canteen in all my spare time! I was/am busy but it works for us!! One thing that really saved me was my strict bed time routine 7pm every night and still continue to do this! It means I get plenty of time to get the house in order and prep for the next day and still allows me to get to bed at a decent time!!
    Thanks so much for your reply. That’s really inspiring! Yep I’m already on the organisation trail as uni is still 3 weeks off starting. Our kids are old enough to actually help and be genuinely helpful, but if I have to nag them to do so then it kind of defeats the purpose. Anyway, they are on the jobs roster more than before (nothing onerous - I still think they have a charmed life). It’s more juggling my work that will be full on, but I’m hoping my determination to get this degree will get me through that. Thanks again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did both study and work together for many years and even paused for 6 months in the middle of it all the have my DD and then went on the finish. I have a DS as well. It was tough and I had to find a routine that worked for me and the fam. We would eat dinner early around 6:30 and as soon as I had eaten I’d head off to study which I’d do till about 10pm around 4-5 nights a week while hubby did the soccer training and night time bed routine with the kids. It was a hard slog but it can be done. If there is a possibility of dropping down to 4 days work or seeing if you could do 1 day a week work from home then I’d highly recommend it. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks @bel2466 I’m fortunate to be able to work from home for part of my job. Sounds like you had a great routine going. Appreciate your reply

7. The Following User Says Thank You to teenie For This Useful Post:

bel2466 (03-02-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi OP how are you going, did you enrol for study this year? Has it started ? :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi @bel2466. Yes I am enrolled and start on feb 25th. I’m excited

Thanks
    Reviews
    Fantastic news! Well done. Have you got a full time load? 4 units per semester ? Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bel2466 View Post
    Fantastic news! Well done. Have you got a full time load? 4 units per semester ? Good luck
    Yes that’s the load. I’m really hopeful of getting it done in a year. Thanks for the luck, I’ll need it 🤩

12. The Following User Says Thank You to teenie For This Useful Post:

bel2466 (14-02-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My advice is when you’ve got assignments to work on or study, ask dh to take kids out for about 3-4 hours on a weekend; I found chunks of time like that helpful. I’m not great at studying at night so I needed proper kid-free time on the weekends.

Good luck

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Yogis Mumma For This Useful Post:

teenie (14-02-2019)