Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Sleeping position

Hi,
    I'm about 20 weeks and understand it's safer to be sleeping on my side for the rest of the pregnancy. I'm usually a back sleeper, but I'm doing my best to get a pillow behind my back, with a pillow between my legs.

Two questions really: I'm finding I'm getting really sore hips by about 3am. Even when I roll over the pain in my hips is making it hard to get back to sleep. Do you have any ideas about what might make this easier (I'm not overweight, so don't think this could be a factor).

Second, despite the pillow propped behind my back I've found I've woken up a few times on my back because the pillow has slipped out. Then I get really worried about doing the wrong thing. How concerned should I be?

Thanks very much for your reply.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Just bumping for the Care Team - the post may have been missed over the long weekend.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by whiteroses View Post
    Hi,
    I'm about 20 weeks and understand it's safer to be sleeping on my side for the rest of the pregnancy. I'm usually a back sleeper, but I'm doing my best to get a pillow behind my back, with a pillow between my legs.

Two questions really: I'm finding I'm getting really sore hips by about 3am. Even when I roll over the pain in my hips is making it hard to get back to sleep. Do you have any ideas about what might make this easier (I'm not overweight, so don't think this could be a factor).

Second, despite the pillow propped behind my back I've found I've woken up a few times on my back because the pillow has slipped out. Then I get really worried about doing the wrong thing. How concerned should I be?

Thanks very much for your reply.
    I don’t have any advice or answers but I’m posting here to follow along as I have the exact same problem! I’m most comfortable sleeping on my back but I’m 18 weeks pregnant and have been trying to get myself used to sleeping on my sides. I wake up multiple times during the night with sore hips and it’s so annoying.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to xtina0445 For This Useful Post:

whiteroses (04-02-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don’t have any advice either I’m sorry, however I’m following along as well to hopefully hear some tips! I’m 18 weeks also and a back or tummy sleeper and trying to get used to sleeping on my side.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Loz3119 For This Useful Post:

whiteroses (04-02-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Sleep Position

Hi Xtina & Whiteroses

Thank you for contacting us. Here is a link to a website that has a good guide for sleeping during pregnancy, this may help answer some of your questions also.
    americanpregnancy.org/pregnancy-health/sleeping-positions-during-pregnancy/

By propping a pillow between your legs and behind your back (making sure it is wedged in) this should help stop you from rolling onto your back a bit more which is important in the last trimester.

When pregnancy advances in weeks your body starts to increase its production of a hormone called Relaxin there is some evidence that this aids in softening the ligaments to make way for a growing baby hence the discomfort you may start to feel, esp in the pelvis etc. You could try a warm wheat bag on areas that are causing discomfort.

I hope this helps. Good luck with the pregnancy

Jeanette - Midwife
    Last edited by BH-bubhub; 05-02-2019 at 14:06.