+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    We live in NSW. Our kids did ethics instead of Scripture.
    They are hoping to introduce ethics this year as an alternative but it’s something our school is still trying to organise.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Being 7yo, his friend may have interpreted it incorrectly from where ever he was taught, or, he could have told your son the correct thing and he has interpreted it incorrectly.

If it is bothering you, sit down with him and have a chat. I would ask him what he knows and to explain what he thinks to you. Then you can let him know that saying certain things are offensive and if he is going to talk about godnthen he cannot talk in that certain way. Let him know how others feel and how you feel by the way he is talking. If he has questions, you can research them together.

Then, next time it happens, just shut it down. DS1, we are not to speak in that way.

Anyway, I wouldn't be bringing it up with the principal. I probably wouldn't even talk to the teacher. However, if you have a chat to the teacher, maybe they can have a class discussion about religion to help weed out false ideas?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If he is getting preached to at school by another child I would talk to class teacher if it arises again. If it is happening on playdates etc then I would talk with the mother (well I probably wouldn't) and my child.

I would have a chat with your son about taking responsibility for his own action and choices.

Really frustrates me kids preaching to kids. DD had a friend who would preach to her on a regular basis a few years ago. After growing up in an ultra conservative Christian home (no tv, no movies, only wear skirts and have long hair) I want my children as far away as possible!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    They are hoping to introduce ethics this year as an alternative but it’s something our school is still trying to organise.
    Our kids primary school was all over ethics...atheist principal was fairly quick to bring it in as a suitable alternative for the atheist parents. We had loads more kids doing ethics than scripture.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default 7yo obsessed with God-NON religious family/upbringing.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    Don’t all public schools have scripture? Or is it just nsw?

I know dd1 has scripture at her public school, I had to sign an opt out form if I didn’t want her going. Unfortunately they are still not allowed to offer an alternative class or allow them to do anything meaningful if they opt out so like many other parents in the grade reluctantly accepted she would do scripture.

As tc said, I wouldn’t read much into it (also a non following/believing catholic here). I also went through a phase of being a born again Christian lol. Dd1 mentions god, Jesus etc a bit thanks to scripture but I’m happy to let her figure out her own beliefs.
    There are ethics classes but not all schools have enough volunteers.

My kids do non-scripture. There is a demand for ethics at their school but no volunteers. They’re always asking for volunteers in the newsletter. The training to be an ethics teacher is something like 2 days so the delivery would vary. Scripture classes do not have to be supervised by a teacher from the school. In other words, if there’s no teacher in there, the scripture volunteer could be spouting anything. For this reason I choose non-scripture for my kids. They might be doing nothing but at least they’re with a qualified teacher from the school.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 27-01-2019 at 18:43.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine (27-01-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Here is the last newsletter from my children’s school at the end of last year asking for ethics volunteers. It says it only takes 2 days for volunteers to be trained. I wouldn’t really want anyone with only a couple of days training teaching my kids tbh so even if they got enough volunteers I’m not sure I’d choose it anyway. IMG_3358.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    There are ethics classes but not all schools have enough volunteers.

My kids do non-scripture. There is a demand for ethics at their school but no volunteers. They’re always asking for volunteers in the newsletter. The training to be an ethics teacher is something like 2 days so the delivery would vary. Scripture classes do not have to be supervised by a teacher from the school. In other words, if there’s no teacher in there, the scripture volunteer could be spouting anything. For this reason I choose non-scripture for my kids. They might be doing nothing but at least they’re with a qualified teacher from the school.
    Same for our school, the non-scripture kids just go to the library, which is exactly what I did for non-scripture when I was a kid.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Here is the last newsletter from my children’s school at the end of last year asking for ethics volunteers. It says it only takes 2 days for volunteers to be trained. I wouldn’t really want anyone with only a couple of days training teaching my kids tbh so even if they got enough volunteers I’m not sure I’d choose it anyway. Attachment 99290
    A friend of mine used to co-ordinate the ethics program at our school and used to teach it. Their not teaching kids like a teacher does...they have them for half an hour a week. Rather different than every day like a teacher, and the program is fairly strict. The volunteers aren't allowed to deviate from it at all. It's like a parent helper going in and helping out in class....they don't have the skills to write a program and teach the class every day, but they take instruction from people with those skills and assist with a program that was written by someone with the expertise.
    At our primary school the teachers divide and conquer and every group is checked on...however a teacher must stay with the scripture teacher at all times. They weren't allowed to be left alone at all as there is no training or formal program for scripture.
    Ethics also isn't aimed to teach kids how to read or write etc. My kids would come home with great topics they had discussed in ethics. Any kid who was misbehaving was sent back to the teacher, so the volunteer wasn't even disciplining the kids. It's a great alternative to scripture.
    Last edited by Full House; 27-01-2019 at 21:24.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    A friend of mine used to co-ordinate the ethics program at our school and used to teach it. Their not teaching kids like a teacher does...they have them for half an hour a week. Rather different than every day like a teacher, and the program is fairly strict. The volunteers aren't allowed to deviate from it at all. It's like a parent helper going in and helping out in class....they don't have the skills to write a program and teach the class every day, but they take instruction from people with those skills and assist with a program that was written by someone with the expertise.
    At our primary school the teachers divide and conquer and every group is checked on...however a teacher must stay with the scripture teacher at all times. They weren't allowed to be left alone at all as there is no training or formal program for scripture.
    Ethics also isn't aimed to teach kids how to read or write etc. My kids would come home with great topics they had discussed in ethics. Any kid who was misbehaving was sent back to the teacher, so the volunteer wasn't even disciplining the kids. It's a great alternative to scripture.
    It depends on who’s got the class. It’s only half an hour but quality of volunteers would vary. They’re not all going to be amazing, especially with two days of training. Parent volunteers aren’t teaching kids anyway, they are helping groups with the teacher there. It’s a bit different to an ethics volunteer. Plus we can choose the parent helpers we want lol! I’d rather there wasn’t any scripture/ethics at all and teachers can get on with teaching.

Also, it is not actually a requirement for any school that a teacher from the school is in the scripture class. If there’s too many scripture groups and not enough teachers then someone is left unsupervised. It happened at my children’s last school and I was mortified. The catholic scripture had no supervising teacher so the kids were in the literacy centre near the office as it was the smallest group. I called my friend who works for the NSW teachers’ federation and she says it is not a requirement to have a teacher in with the group.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It depends on who’s got the class. It’s only half an hour but quality of volunteers would vary. They’re not all going to be amazing, especially with two days of training. Parent volunteers aren’t teaching kids anyway, they are helping groups with the teacher there. It’s a bit different to an ethics volunteer. Plus we can choose the parent helpers we want lol! I’d rather there wasn’t any scripture/ethics at all and teachers can get on with teaching.

Also, it is not actually a requirement for any school that a teacher from the school is in the scripture class. If there’s too many scripture groups and not enough teachers then someone is left unsupervised. It happened at my children’s last school and I was mortified. The catholic scripture had no supervising teacher so the kids were in the literacy centre near the office as it was the smallest group. I called my friend who works for the NSW teachers’ federation and she says it is not a requirement to have a teacher in with the group.
    I didn't mean it was a government requirement, but it was a requirement made at our kids school.

As for the volunteers for ethics...it wasn't really an issue for us. Small school within a close knit community means I knew all my kids ethics teachers and hung out with them outside of school. I wasn't concerned about their quality of teaching.
    I'd rather there was no scripture or ethics as well, but ethics was a great alternative and once it came in to play non scripture wasn't an option. You picked scripture or ethics.