+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Tuck shop daily? Lazy parenting or genius

My eldest starts prep this year and I’m so stressed about lunch.
    I’ve looked at the tuck shop menu and the prices are comparable to what it would cost to make at home.
    Is it lazy or smart to order everyday?

Thanks
    Reviews
    If it works for you, go for it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd do it if my kids would be happy with it.

School lunches drive me insane! Mine are now going into year 7 and year 9 and it hasn't gotten any easier. But for us it is too expensive. So it's tuck shop day each Friday.

I would pack something extra just in case they didn't like the foods at tuckshop or something went wrong and they didn't get their order (both has happened a few times to us).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We don't have the option, it's only offered 2 days a week at our school. But if it was an option and I could afford it, hell yes I would do it! Our tuckshops amazing, the food they serve is nutritious and really appeals to the kids. They do a special meal deal every tuck shop day and have so many extra goodies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would do it 3 times a week, mon, wed and fri. Not because I think it’s a bad idea, it’s genius! But I would worry they would get sick of it eating it every day, then I could be stuck doing 5 days a week . I stayed at a resort once where kids eat free with an adult meal. So every meal was in their restaurant and I wanted to vomit by the end of the week looking at the menu.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

FayBelle (20-01-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I’d say both
    I usually give the kids canteen once a week on my office day, but we live a 40km round trip from the shops, so there have been times the kids have occasionally had canteen 3-4 days a week when something has happened (mainly the ham has gone off or we ate it quicker than usual) and it is a lot easier, even though I still pack fruit and snacks.
    Our canteen has lots of yummy options so if we could afford it, I probably would! But to do both kids every day would be between $9-12 a day, and I can do lunches for maybe $20 a week as they only way ham and cheese sandwiches every day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do what works for you! If it's More convenient, and easier I'd say it's clever parenting.

We have "subway" once a week but it's only ham or turkey, cheese, lettuce and tomato with a dressing. Ds1 loves subway but he likes meatballs and poached egg and beetroot too! Which aren't options so he refuses that.

We have canteen twice a week, (contracted by a local milk bar) they do ok but ds only loves 1, and semi likes 2 other options. I know he'd eat more - but won't try. (Roast meat and gravy roll, spag bol etc).
    We get it once, sometimes twice a week. Occasionally he's forgotten to put his order in , once the SHOP lost his order (the teacher asked him directly after him forgetting, and he put it in, infront of her - but his lunch didn't come) I was angry! she actually called me and explained she demanded they fix it the next day and she made him a cheese toastie with the schools supplies they keep incase kids don't have lunch. (They make sure no one goes hungry.)

Our prices aren't overly competitive though. And me being a SAHM, living only a 10-15min walk away (5 min drive), I can easily take him up left overs, toasties, steamed chicken and salad etc too so he doesn't get bored with either sandwiches or canteen. I occasionally drop his favorite subway in too. His teachers think he's just a bit spoilt 🤷‍♀️

Thanks
    Reviews
    I only do it once a week sometimes once a fortnight. Our is Healthy by the prices are so not worth it to do it everyday. There are some parents that do it everyday st our school except Monday when it isn’t open as they can afford to for me it’s not viable at all. I just bake lots of different things and freeze them

Thanks
    Reviews
    What are tuckshops serving these days? 20 years ago it was expensive junk but I’m guessing that’s changed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Depends on the food, if it's comparable to what you'd be serving from home anyway, I call it genius! In my day it was all sausage rolls and Mars Bars but I'm guessing it's changed a bit?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

Mum-I-Am (20-01-2019)