+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default To those with 3+ kids...

A funny thing has happened since our third baby was born. Almost every time I go to the shops I get people saying things like “you certainly have your hands full!”, “that’s a lot to manage there!”, “Don’t worry love, it gets easier.” Etc etc. All very nice and kind, never said meanly, I often get offers of help too and don’t mind people saying things...But I’m a little confused.

My kids are 7, 2.5, and 6 months...I never had any of these comments with the first two. My 2 year old can be a handful but she’s usually pretty good when out, and the boys are fairly easy...so I don’t feel we are particularly disruptive. Today I was told that I have my hands full cruising happily around Woolies with all three kids being as good as gold.

So to those of you with three or more kids... have you had these type of comments? Is 3 kids really that unusual (I didn’t think so!) Or do I just encourage people to comment by looking permanently harassed/ suffering major resting ***** face.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yep. Once you hit three society thinks you have 10! Beyond that they lose their minds completely.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

BornToBe (19-01-2019),greeneyes81 (18-01-2019),Patience86 (18-01-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    All. The. Time! I rarely go out with all 5 kids but even just taking 2 or 3 I get the comments, especially having all girls. The looks on people's faces when I say I actually have 5 girls and I'm pregnant with baby 6 a lot of the older ladies love that I have a big family and often say how wonderful it is and how they came from a big family, or wish they had had lots of kids. The more judgey ones are from other mums and males it's not uncommon to see families with 3 or 4 kids where I live so definitely not out of the ordinary there. Anything over 4, and especially all the same gender, gets lots of stares and comments!

It does annoy me sometimes, mainly the comments with a negative tone or implications behind them. And I do definitely get sick of hearing the same thing all the time. At times it does make me feel embarrassed, which I hate.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SheWarrior For This Useful Post:

Fi Poledancer (18-01-2019),Patience86 (18-01-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    6 kids, youngest two are twins and the older ones were 4 in 4 years (so 6 in 8 years).

I get it every single day. Every day. Been getting it since I had 3 kids.

Oh boy, you’ve got your hands full... repeat.

Doesn’t worry me, I generally just smile and chuckle and say yep. They’re just trying to make conversation and generally don’t mean anything by it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ahalfdozen For This Useful Post:

MLadyEm (20-01-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I’m guilty of this.
    I don’t mean anything bad by it at all, I’m in awe and wonderment. 2 was all we could deal with and I admire those who are able to handle more without being batsh!t insane. And it’s just an easy way making small talk.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Not so much now that they’re not toddlers but yes when they were smaller.

People used to also wonder why we had a third when we already had one of each

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    I’m guilty of this.
    I don’t mean anything bad by it at all, I’m in awe and wonderment. 2 was all we could deal with and I admire those who are able to handle more without being batsh!t insane. And it’s just an easy way making small talk.
    I'm not sure if I'm ever made a comment but I agree. My in laws have 4 (adult) kids and a foster compared to my family which is just myself and my sister. My MIL always puts on a feast for at least 10 of us (as some have partners) with ease.

I'm pregnant with my first and hope to be even half the mother she is. I'll probably be happy with two kids but have told hubby my hard cap is 3. I'm 32 atm so don't want to be too old when having my last (I wanted kids in my early 20's so just old in my eyes). We have to do ivf for them too so it might take awhile for the other/s.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    I’m guilty of this.
    Oh we are totally batsh!t insane some of us just hide it better than others I admit, even when it's obvious the commenter is coming from a place of positivity, it makes me uncomfortable. Only because I don't see it to being any different to a mother with 1 baby/child and I honestly don't see what the big deal is that we manage (hope that makes sense!). In saying that, I also find myself looking at families with 5 or 6 kids in tow and thinking "holy crap that's a lot of kids, good on mum (or dad or both)!". Takes me a second to click that I have the same number of kids

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SheWarrior For This Useful Post:

greeneyes81 (19-01-2019),Little Miss Sunshine (19-01-2019),Mamasupial (21-01-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I never noticed anyone saying anything until we had 4. Most people have 3, it isnt unusual in the slightest.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    Yep. Once you hit three society thinks you have 10! Beyond that they lose their minds completely.
    Yep, more than 3 and they just stop making eye contact with the crazy lady...

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

Mamasupial (21-01-2019)