+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default What do you do while your child sleeps?

As the title suggests, what do you do while your child sleeps? Obviously I’m talking about day sleeps here because overnight is pretty obvious haha

It came up in conversation with a friend yesterday as she spends almost every day sleep next to her 16m old DD. Sometimes she’ll nap, other times she’ll watch stuff on her laptop, but always in bed next to her DD. I can’t fathom this at all. I use day naps to get stuff done that is quicker and easier with DD out of the way. Eg vacuum/mop the floors. Otherwise I will enjoy the downtime to watch something in tv I want to watch uninterrupted or eat food I don’t want to share

Obviously there’s no right or wrong, I’m just curious. I do love sleepy DD. As it is she’s currently asleep in my arms but I will put her down shortly and wander downstairs to do a few things.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I started a uni degree when he was 4 months old so I mostly study when he’s sleeping. I couldn’t personally hang out next to him while he sleeps. He dropped to one nap at 12 months so it’s the only break I get from him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Depends on if I have 1 or 2 at home, but...Eat. Watch tv unsuitable for small eyes. Perhaps a bit of housework or garden task I don’t want ‘help’ with.
    But mainly the first two...I need an hour to breathe before the mayhem commences.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Calstar For This Useful Post:

Mod-Wise Enough (18-01-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Sleep myself!
    Or if I have the energy, I will vacuum and mop and then sleep

Thanks
    Reviews
    When i was studying i would do that at night and have a sleep when ds had his day nap (dd was at school)
    I would also mop the floor

When dd had her day nap she was a terrible night sleeper so I would often nap also or do my floors and eat lunch and watch tv

Thanks
    Reviews
    It’s strictly downtime for me. I’ll nap as well, have lunch alone, watch tv.

Occasionally if needed I’ll do a load of laundry, dinner prep or the like but these are things I can easily do with DD, sitting on the lounge is not!

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mum-I-Am For This Useful Post:

BornToBe (18-01-2019),Calstar (18-01-2019),Little Miss Sunshine (18-01-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am like your friend, if possible I will often just rest next to bub. Have a TV in my room, so often will veg out to that. Or read, or just doze.

All chores are reserved for when children are awake. My motto is, why waste a good quiet time on working. To be honest though, now that I have 4 children, most nap times are spent tending to the older 3/keeping them quiet. If I'm really worn out, I'll put them in front of a few Play Schools and catch a break.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine (18-01-2019),Yogis Mumma (18-01-2019)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My babies don’t like to sleep at the same time. So on the rare chance they do, it’s used for eating lunch (they’re the only days I get lunch) and then more housework. They are very clingy when awake so I find it a “break” to do housework without either holding them or having to listen to them screaming

Thanks
    Reviews
    My youngest still naps (20 months) so I’ll set up the older 2 kids to do painting or craft or they help me garden- things that are easier without the little one. Sometimes they get Netflix as a treat while I sit on couch with coffee

Thanks
    Reviews
    I’ll occasionally lay down with dd but it’s very rare as I have Ds2 home aswell most of the week and ds1 atm on school holidays so they need entertainment otherwise it will end in war and and someone crying

Today I filled the green waste bin with rubbish around the lawn area and the pool so it’s all nice and pretty atm. Otherwise I’ll do housework as fast as possible. Yesterday I had a quiet swim in the pool by myself