+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,799
    Thanks
    743
    Thanked
    1,656
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

    Default Oricom Babysense 2 breathing pads alarm going off

    Hi there,

    Just looking for experiences with the Oricom babysense breathing monitor.

    Our six month old baby has an ongoing respiratory condition (tracheobronchromalacia) and so we got the Babysense breathing pads for him for peace of mind. However his breathing issues have been generally worse with activity/sickness and he has always breathed better when asleep and relaxed.

    The other night at 2am the alarm went off. We rushed in and he was fine. He was in the middle of the cot and awake (alarm probably woke him). We replaced the batteries. Today his alarm went off again during his nap, again we rushed in and he was ok, lying in the middle of the cot.

    So we are trying to work out if these are false alarms due to the machine or if Bub is now having breathing issues whilst asleep. I will be bringing it up at his doctors appointment but until then just wondering if anyone else had these issues with the Babysense 2?

    ETA: This is a new machine, we didn’t use breathing pads with our other two children.

    Thanks!
    Last edited by Patience86; 17-01-2019 at 16:15.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    250
    Thanks
    324
    Thanked
    225
    Reviews
    0
    Ours went off a bit, got worse when he started rolling and crawling (ended up in weird positions off the pads), had to remove them once he started pulling up in there.

    Check the connection to the unit and also that the sensor hasn’t moved at all under the mattress. I don’t think false alarms are uncommon but I always felt like I would prefer a false alarm than the alternative.

    We were worried about breathing as he was rushed to NICU in respiratory distress at birth. No cause was ever found.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to NinjaKB For This Useful Post:

    Patience86 (18-01-2019)

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,799
    Thanks
    743
    Thanked
    1,656
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

    Default Oricom Babysense 2 breathing pads alarm going off

    Thanks for sharing! We have checked the pads and connections and all that and they seem fine. It’s gone off several more times...he’s always very still when I go in until I move him so Im not sure he is rolling off the pads.

    If he didn’t have an existing respiratory condition I wouldn’t be concerned tbh as he always seems fine afterwards. But I’m a bit wary as he generally has to work harder to breathe than the average bub.

    We have a doctors appointment anyway so will see how it goes!

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    250
    Thanks
    324
    Thanked
    225
    Reviews
    0
    Definitely best to double check in your particular case. The sleepy dash to their cot is not remotely fun! I found we had runs of false alarms where it happened frequently and then got better. Quite weird really! My SIL had similar issues with her little girl’s baby sense monitor as well. Hope it’s just playing up for you x

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,799
    Thanks
    743
    Thanked
    1,656
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thank you!

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,401
    Thanks
    785
    Thanked
    1,387
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We didn’t have this one but 12yo with DS our breathing monitor started doing this and we couldn’t get through a night without an alarm. We ended up turning it off. Turns out that was really dumb on our behalf as he had sleep apnoea and ended up needing tonsils and adenoids out

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,799
    Thanks
    743
    Thanked
    1,656
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

    Default Oricom Babysense 2 breathing pads alarm going off

    Quote Originally Posted by ICanDream View Post
    We didn’t have this one but 12yo with DS our breathing monitor started doing this and we couldn’t get through a night without an alarm. We ended up turning it off. Turns out that was really dumb on our behalf as he had sleep apnoea and ended up needing tonsils and adenoids out
    Oh wow, do you mind me asking how you found out he had sleep apnoea? And how he was when you went to see him after the alarms went off? Our Bub doesn’t snore at night (he can have noisy breathing during the day) or anything. Thanks for sharing your experience!

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2,011
    Thanks
    919
    Thanked
    1,445
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We have the same breathing pads and have used them twice with no false alarms. They are designed to go off when baby is breathing too shallow or less than 10 breaths in a minute from memory. The alarm is both to alert you but can also help to startle the baby which could see a change to their breathing depending on what caused it. Ours only became an issue when our toddler was big enough to stand in her cot (we no longer felt we needed them then anyway) but even then she had to be right in corner for neither of the pads to detect her.

    I would definitely mention it to the doctor and don’t let them blame technology. This could help to pick something up so follow your instincts and get it looked into further.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to TortoiseNotTheHare For This Useful Post:

    Patience86 (20-01-2019)

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,401
    Thanks
    785
    Thanked
    1,387
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

    Default Oricom Babysense 2 breathing pads alarm going off

    Quote Originally Posted by Patience86 View Post
    Oh wow, do you mind me asking how you found out he had sleep apnoea? And how he was when you went to see him after the alarms went off? Our Bub doesn’t snore at night (he can have noisy breathing during the day) or anything. Thanks for sharing your experience!
    We took him to see an ear nose and throat specialist around 2yrs old who diagnosed it on advice from our maternal child nurse - she actually put the pieces together. When we went in we had no idea, he was always a mouth breather and a bit of a snorer and when we went in he would seem fine so we didn’t put it together - he’d been such a bad sleeper from birth we just put it down to that. As another poster suggested perhaps the alarms startled him - I couldn’t be sure.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to ICanDream For This Useful Post:

    Patience86 (20-01-2019)

  13. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,799
    Thanks
    743
    Thanked
    1,656
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TortoiseNotTheHare View Post
    We have the same breathing pads and have used them twice with no false alarms. They are designed to go off when baby is breathing too shallow or less than 10 breaths in a minute from memory. The alarm is both to alert you but can also help to startle the baby which could see a change to their breathing depending on what caused it. Ours only became an issue when our toddler was big enough to stand in her cot (we no longer felt we needed them then anyway) but even then she had to be right in corner for neither of the pads to detect her.

    I would definitely mention it to the doctor and don’t let them blame technology. This could help to pick something up so follow your instincts and get it looked into further.
    Thanks for this! I do feel suspicious given his history. And I do wonder if the alarm is waking him and his breathing improves. He has got his respiratory hospital appointment coming up which is perfect timing. Would definitely rather be safe than sorry!


 

Similar Threads

  1. Angelcare monitor alarm going off question
    By Babymay in forum General area
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 18-11-2011, 15:44
  2. breathing alarm keeps going off!
    By mum2ryan in forum Breathing Issues
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-06-2007, 21:42
  3. Going off the pill & trying for a baby
    By My Miracle Baby in forum Conception issues & ttc
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-04-2006, 11:31
  4. Ovulation after going off the pill
    By nicoleE in forum Conception issues & ttc
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-04-2006, 13:55
  5. Going off meat when pregnant.
    By wattle in forum Pregnancy & Birth General Chat
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-01-2006, 23:05

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

FEATURED SUPPORTER
Baby MonitorsLooking to buy a baby monitor? :: Read viewer reviews of baby monitors BEFORE you buy :: Buy at a local or online Baby ...