+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Second round transfer advice

Hi ,

For those who have done second or third round transfer have you always had two embryos put in?

Advice appreciated... I lost one of my twins previously & not sure if I would transfer two again.

Would it better my chances, do I want twins so many thoughts.

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Transferring 2 embryos only increases your chance of pregnancy by about 5% but if you do fall pregnant your chance of twins is anywhere from 20-50% depending on if it was a 2/3 or 5 day transfer.

We’ve previously transferred 2 and only got DD.

This pregnancy we transferred 2 and are expecting twins.

I think it’s really important to decide if you want or can handle twins because it is a real possibility.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We did 4 rounds of IVF. We only ever put a single embryo in. The FET we did I only had 1 frozen embryo so no choice there. DD stuck on our 4th go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi,

I'm sorry you lost one of your twins.

Lots of own egg rounds here in Aus, four goes with donor eggs overseas. All single transfers, the last one was successful.

It depends how risk-averse you are.

On my last and successful transfer the single embryo split but the second baby never developed and I'm carrying a singleton. I think my heart stopped beating when I saw that second sac on the ultrasound monitor. They can and do split, so with a double donor egg transfer the chances of high order multiples are very small but real.

Good luck with your decision. It seems counterintuitive and line double transfers would double the chances, but they really don't.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I’ve always done double transfers, first resulted in twins, second both implanted but one was a blighted ovum, I did a transfer in November of 3 embryos and none stuck so I think it depends on what you think you can handle, plenty of ladies do double transfers and end up with one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by stacey10 View Post
    I’ve always done double transfers, first resulted in twins, second both implanted but one was a blighted ovum, I did a transfer in November of 3 embryos and none stuck so I think it depends on what you think you can handle, plenty of ladies do double transfers and end up with one.
    Thanks yes it’s all a risk either way every time.

Appreciate the responses.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hithere. Experts recommend that, if your embryos have made it toblastocyst and their quality is good, a single embryo transfer isdone on the first attempt. In case it fails after the first cycle,your doctor may consider transferring two embryos.
    However,the final decision is in the hands of the patients, who oftentimesdecide to transfer two embryos or more the first time, without takinginto account the potential risk of multiple pregnancy. There areseveral confounding considerations in determining how many embryos totransfer at a time:
    Thenumber of embryos that might safely be transferred per IVF procedureshould be governed by the age of the egg provider. So, while it wouldbe reasonable to restrict the number of high grade embryostransferred to a younger woman to two, the same restriction would beinappropriate and unreasonable in the case of a woman in her 40’sreceiving embryos from her own eggs. Then embryos’ grade is takeninto consideration. Also the stage of embryos’ development by thetime of the transfer must be taken into account. The reason for thisis that blastocysts (5 or 6 day) are far more likely to propagatepregnancies than the earlier (day 2-3) ones. Again, it’s said fewerblastocysts need be transferred at a time.
    All the very best with your 2nd ET!!